Weapons sparring.

I

InvisibleFist

It would seem t hat at least two CMA orgainzations are planning on holding a weapons sparring event. This would put one opponent againxt each other with boffers. THese were the swords and staffes of my youth, lovelingly hom made from PVC pipe and foam pipe insualtion. Sounds like a delightful way to see is all that eght monkey trigram stuff we've been working with actually works.

One might object to the increased lightness of the new "boffeer" weapons, and theyed make a good point. However if the weapons are padded (and cheap) then we don't have to load up our competitors with exdpensive armor, that becomes a bar to entry.

One of the rule books mentions an event callled "single stick" which apparantly uses thin rattan rods to simulate a wsord...I'm curous as to how thiick the rattan will be, since I carry a few bruises from rattan.

What do you lot think! I' wondering if Kung Fu schools will begin training with boffers or rattan in preparation for the tourneys that have these events?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We do weapons sparring at some tourneys but its mainly staff or a sort of "boffer" as you were explaining. Its more of a fun event than one that entails alot of training as training would involve the use of the "boffer" and that sort of takes away from your "real" training time. That is our view of it and why we dont spend alot of time practicing with the foam padded sword. The one we use in tourneys however is longer, sort of like a rattan I guess with minimal padding. It does hurt and will leave marks. We still don't do alot of practicing with them specifically for tourney as we think it takes away from application training.

7sm

OP
I

InvisibleFist

Thanks for your reply. Can you describe the rattan sword that was used at the tourney? Was it padded at all? How thick was the rattan?

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm interested in trying a CMA tournament with weapons sparring. Do you know if there are any going on in Northern California?

OP
M

markulous

bart said:
I'm interested in trying a CMA tournament with weapons sparring. Do you know if there are any going on in Northern California?

Or just ANY tournaments in northern california?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
InvisibleFist said:
Thanks for your reply. Can you describe the rattan sword that was used at the tourney? Was it padded at all? How thick was the rattan?
For the younger division it did have a sort of foam "cover" on it maybe 1/4 inch thick. For adults there was no padding but the participants wore protective gear. The rattan was I guess about 1 1/2" thick. I'm trying to remember back now, but I'm just estimating.

7sm

Latest Discussions