We are getting a new master

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I actually said something similar to my husband after looking at the website. He was not impressed by that video at all. In fact, if I remember correctly, his exact response was, "Hell NO!!" We both feel that if we want to participate in a bible study, listen to a sermon, etc, we will go to church. We are attending the dojang to learn a MA. I am hoping that he will not "force" this part of his curriculum onto the school, but I guess we will have to wait and see what happens after his visit. He will be here the week of July 27.
To bad his entire philosophy is built around his faith. What you see is what you get I am afraid. Just read his site. He hides nothing. Which is a good thing.

Frostbite

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think a person can design his martial arts club however they want, within the boundaries of the law. If this man wants to preach and the students still want to come, hey, more power to him. Most people wouldn't be able to pull this off. But, when choosing a MA school, look at the MA. If the MA is good then having to listen to a short sermon every now and then is fine. But if you can't handle the Bible lesson, go elsewhere. How is his MA? Is he a good MA teacher? What kind of students is he producing? These are the kinds of questions to ask.

I don't think anyone's debating that he has a right to run the classes however he chooses as long as he follows the law. It just may not be the wisest business decision.

I bolded the section above because I take issue with that generalization. Maybe it's fine for you but if I wanted to hear about the Bible, I'd go to church. If he was an amazing martial artist but I had to hear the details of his latest colonscopy or his marital problems with his wife every class, I'd still be disinclined to take classes there too. During class time, I expect to learn martial arts. If I wanted to hear about his opinion on CIA conspiracies, I'd stick around after class and chat him up.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think a person can design his martial arts club however they want, within the boundaries of the law. If this man wants to preach and the students still want to come, hey, more power to him. Most people wouldn't be able to pull this off. But, when choosing a MA school, look at the MA. If the MA is good then having to listen to a short sermon every now and then is fine. But if you can't handle the Bible lesson, go elsewhere. How is his MA? Is he a good MA teacher? What kind of students is he producing? These are the kinds of questions to ask.
My thing is, if he is the only game in town then why would I want to listen to this at all. I guess if I can leave after my lessons are over then OK. But if you look at his site, I think his entire curriculum is based around his faith, kind of sucks for those that just want to learn TKD and not be preached to. Especially if it would be my kids that wanted to take TKD but this was all that was offered.

I guess if people share his beliefs then this is the place for them.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like the religious emphasis -- but he's open about it.

I also don't like that those who were with the school got stuck with the change, either. They're getting stuck with the religious emphasis, like it or not, and it may not have been what they signed up for originally.

Are they at least giving you a choice to opt out?

OP
epi-do

epi-do

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Are they at least giving you a choice to opt out?

At this point, that hasn't been mentioned. I don't think they are sure how they are going to handle it yet. I am sure some of that will be determined by the changes that are made.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
At this point, that hasn't been mentioned. I don't think they are sure how they are going to handle it yet. I am sure some of that will be determined by the changes that are made.

If you've made any advance payments, under the assumption that the original teacher would continue to run the school, then I would say that a change in ownership/leadership makes that contract void. You must demand the right to opt out and receive full refund for anything paid in advance. I would raise this point immediately and establish the groundwork in case you decide you need to bail. Do this before it becomes a problem.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you've made any advance payments, under the assumption that the original teacher would continue to run the school, then I would say that a change in ownership/leadership makes that contract void. You must demand the right to opt out and receive full refund for anything paid in advance. I would raise this point immediately and establish the groundwork in case you decide you need to bail. Do this before it becomes a problem.
Yep, I second that!

Frostbite

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Third. Essentially you made a contract with the original owner and now the terms of that contract are changing.

OP
epi-do

epi-do

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

We have not made any advanced payments. However, we did have a one year contract. I would think that with the changes that are coming, that new contracts would have to be established, so we should be able to opt out.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We have not made any advanced payments. However, we did have a one year contract. I would think that with the changes that are coming, that new contracts would have to be established, so we should be able to opt out.

I would bring it up now and make sure that the new owners are in agreement, and get it in writing.