WC for the Physically Challenged

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've got a lot of health issues and doing high/spinning kicks and techniques involving deep stances are difficult if not damaging. I was watching the Fight Quest episode on Wing Chun and it seems as if their is little emphasis on high kicking or other techniques requiring a great deal of flexibility. I was wondering what your views were on this art for someone in my situation. Thanks.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
First off, how are you physically challenged? Is it because of physical disabilites? We need to understand the actual problems or limitations before we (members of the forum) can give our opinion of what you may or may not be able to do.

The art of Wing Chun does not require any above average strength or flexibility to train. Really all you need is an open mind and willingness to do it, no matter what your physical situation may be.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The key is finding a good teacher and being a good student. of course there are limits. One needs to understand how to work withing those limitations.

Paul Lam had polio as a kid and had weak legs... he compensated with very good hands.
He wasa student of Leung Shun..

joy chaudhuri

clowreed

White Belt
Reaction score
I am learning wing chun for 5 months now and I have scoliosis. Not just mild scoliosis, the degree of curvature is 55 degrees and doctors say that this is severe and that I would require surgery. But I don't want surgery because aside from being expensive, it poses a lot of risks. But now that I'm doing wing chun, my back is getting stronger because of the exercises, unlike before when I have very little or no physical activity whatsoever.

Also there is no impact on my body like in judo or mma and there are no rolling on the ground that could affect my back. I'll continue studying wing chun for as long as I can and hopefully the exercises can prevent the curve progression, if not halt the process.