Wars/Battles Over The Last 1000 years.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The first fission weapons, also known as "atomic bombs," were developed jointly by the United States, Britain and Canada during World War II in what was called the Manhattan Project to counter the assumed Nazi German atomic bomb project. In August 1945 two were dropped on Japan ending the Pacific War. An international team was dispatched to help work on the project. The Soviet Union started development shortly thereafter with their own atomic bomb project, and not long after that both countries developed even more powerful fusion weapons called "hydrogen bombs."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_nuclear_weapons

Lets talk jets.
Invented by the French, developed by the Brits, first used in combat by the Germans, and Perfected by the Americans when they made the F-15.
:D

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MA-Caver, who are you saying invented the atom bomb?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_nuclear_weapons

Lets talk jets.
Invented by the French, developed by the Brits, first used in combat by the Germans, and Perfected by the Americans when they made the F-15.
:D
Thanks Bob for helping me clarify. At this point it doesn't matter who invented the bomb... it was the U.S. that put it to use. For whatever reasons there may be. Quick ending to the war, to show others that we got the balls to use it and to effectively show just how bad-*** the device can be.

Thus making everyone (including the U.S.) realize the nasty potential of such a device, which has been IMO an effective deterrent to another World War... for the time being. Petty squabbles here and there does not a World War make.
But another one is coming irregardless. It's an inevitable consequence of the human psyche. Likely it's going to be the result of a irresolvable difference of opinion.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bob for helping me clarify. At this point it doesn't matter who invented the bomb... it was the U.S. that put it to use. For whatever reasons there may be. Quick ending to the war, to show others that we got the balls to use it and to effectively show just how bad-*** the device can be.

Thus making everyone (including the U.S.) realize the nasty potential of such a device, which has been IMO an effective deterrent to another World War... for the time being. Petty squabbles here and there does not a World War make.
But another one is coming irregardless. It's an inevitable consequence of the human psyche. Likely it's going to be the result of a irresolvable difference of opinion.

Europe lost two thirds of it's civilian population in the last war, 50 million homes were destroyed as well as businesses,factories, towns and cities destroyed. It's taken years and years to rebuild so despite the minor wars going on in the Balkans etc we aren't anxious to have another.

Dropping atom bombs was necessary though open to debate but I wouldn't be proud of it to be honest. It didn't take balls to drop it, it took measured thought and the need to end a war that was costing thousands of lives. Calling it bad *** shows a certain childish turn of phase which indicates that you think it's 'super' or 'amazing' something that makes you pleased rather than sad it had to be used. The surgeon doesn't gloat when he has to amputate a limb or remove a breast to save a life, we shouldn't gloat because it was necessary to drop such a horrendous weapon to save more lives.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Europe lost two thirds of it's civilian population in the last war, 50 million homes were destroyed as well as businesses,factories, towns and cities destroyed. It's taken years and years to rebuild so despite the minor wars going on in the Balkans etc we aren't anxious to have another.

Dropping atom bombs was necessary though open to debate but I wouldn't be proud of it to be honest. It didn't take balls to drop it, it took measured thought and the need to end a war that was costing thousands of lives. Calling it bad *** shows a certain childish turn of phase which indicates that you think it's 'super' or 'amazing' something that makes you pleased rather than sad it had to be used. The surgeon doesn't gloat when he has to amputate a limb or remove a breast to save a life, we shouldn't gloat because it was necessary to drop such a horrendous weapon to save more lives.

If it were at all possible to reverse such a horrible moment(s) I'd be all for it. Would prefer that the devices were never used at all much less invented.

I admit that I had an moment of poor word usage to describe my thoughts on the matter. I'm neither childish nor a war-monger. But the fact that even after all the heavy thoughts and consideration and overtures to Japan to stop the war or else... it still took balls to do it. The willingness to actually use something like that takes a measure of courage.

Now if you will excuse me I'll go back to my sandbox and mind my own business. :wink2:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it were at all possible to reverse such a horrible moment(s) I'd be all for it. Would prefer that the devices were never used at all much less invented.

I admit that I had an moment of poor word usage to describe my thoughts on the matter. I'm neither childish nor a war-monger. But the fact that even after all the heavy thoughts and consideration and overtures to Japan to stop the war or else... it still took balls to do it. The willingness to actually use something like that takes a measure of courage.

Now if you will excuse me I'll go back to my sandbox and mind my own business. :wink2:

Don't forget your hankie!

Words are very important when discussing things like this, it's what creates the impression of a people.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A discussion of the end of the Pacific War is a long one I think. Worthy of it's own thread.

As to planes....Nope, the F15 can't hover, but I hear a few of our pilots can...at least on nights they served beans in the mess. :D

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Large wars are very, very, costly in terms of money, resources, and manpower. Europe seems to have learned that lesson, but it was a very tough lesson to learn. Many empires ended, not because of defeat on the battlefield, but rather due to the cost and logistics of war.

Mostly, modern day empire building is done through economics rather than war. Shooting wars are expensive. Economic warfare isn't as expensive and in many cases profitable, with much the same result of a successful war.

Mark Jordan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Whoa! What's with that part of world? And the rest of the world is oblivious to what's happening over there. Does it has something to do with Feng shui?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Something else I noticed. The majority of the boom-booms were in Europe. Some in China and Japan, but very very few in North and South America, despite there being several large empires there. I would pin that discrepancy on a lack of records not a lack of fighting and the Inca, Aztec and Mayan's fought alot as well. Hell, that's how they got their sacrificial victims. The losers. :D

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Something else I noticed. The majority of the boom-booms were in Europe. Some in China and Japan, but very very few in North and South America, despite there being several large empires there. I would pin that discrepancy on a lack of records not a lack of fighting and the Inca, Aztec and Mayan's fought alot as well. Hell, that's how they got their sacrificial victims. The losers. :D

Unpossible. The indigenous people were magical wood elves who lived in harmony with nature and each other as they made their beautiful music and crafts.