British Forces at War

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
For our Brit friends:

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/british-forces-at-war-as-witnessed-by-an-american.htm

From Iraq in 2007

The British are planning future operations. These soldiers are so good that I have requested from British commanders to be allowed to stay longer.

https://www.michaelyon-online.com/death-in-the-corn-part-i-of-iii.htm

From Afghanistan in 2008

Mike Yon is an American War Correspondent who was a Special Operations Soldier. He gets to work closer (and gets into deeper trouble) with military operators than your average journalist.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A most interesting read, Angel :tup:. Also good to hear some positive things about our chaps from a non-British 'source', so to speak.

Hearing about the poppy harvesting going on under the eyes of our men was infuriating. I don't necessarily blame the farmers for growing what is for them just the most profitable crop most of the time but that doesn't make it any easier to read about :(.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For history buffs, 5 Rifles were formerly 1st Battalion Light Infantry.
2 Para mentioned in the second link are in Afghan now on deployment.

In an article in the Sunday Times which I can't quote as they now want a subsciption paying, American military commanders have paid belated praise to the British soldiers who they took over from. The Wikileaks and other places had made much of the Americans taking over as the British were thought to have been useless there. After taking more dead and wounded in 30 days than 40 CDO RM did in six months the American commanders have said they didn't actually realise how tough it was and that the British had done a far better job than was at first thought.

Latest Discussions