wall bag

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is that a bag hanging from the wall or against the wall?

One last question, what is your goal you are trying to achieve from this?

That sounds like a specific training method, what ever style you practice one method isn't enough you will want to do a variety of training methods

OP
F

Fight4Peace&Love!

White Belt
Reaction score
The bag is against a brick wall fill with dry kidney beans and salt used for icey pavement in winter. My main goal of this method is to cultivate power of impact from a close postion if need be.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I used to use mine almost everyday , but I've moved now so don't have one.
Mine was a three sectional wall bag it was filled with mung beans if I remember correctly.

If you are doing very high repetitions you may start to take the skin off the knuckles ,even if you have good technique as the center starts to become more compacted from the repeated impact.

During the training , stop from time to time and hit the wall bag near both the edges to force the filler back into the middle.

You could end up hurting yourself if you do a lot of high volume work on it , without being instructed in its use by a qualified Sifu.
Definitely do not do elbow strikes on it , the shock of the impact will go straight up to your brain.

Punches , palm strikes , fak sau are ok though.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I practice on mine until the knuckles start to hurt. Then, as suggested, I take a break. For me personally, it has helped me to not be so tense when I punch. Hitting a target has helped me learn to release my energy better.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How often to train on wall bag?

I'd recommend not more than every other day to allow time for your body to heal and strengthen. I used to overdo wall-bag training and now as I'm getting older (59 next month) I have a touch of arthritis and don't do much bag training. In retrospect, I'd emphasize 1. using a soft fill such as beans rather than sand or even rice which compacts down pretty hard after a while, 2. doing a moderate number of reps (less than 1,000 in a session) emphasizing technique over power and 3. pausing regularly to inspect and massage your knuckles. You may choose to use dit dar jow as well.

Another thing, relating to what Mook said above. Either stop every fifty reps or so to "fluff" the bag and keep it from packing down too hard, or just focus your strikes about two inches off center to one side of the bag, do ten fast reps then without pausing, then shift your focus to a point about two inches off center to the opposite side for the next ten reps, and so on shifting from side to side every ten reps. This will shift the bag filling and keep it "fluffed up" while allowing you to punch continuously without stopping for as many reps as you want. It also keeps your mind on where you are focusing your strikes. Happy hitting!

Last edited:

Latest Discussions