Violent Video Games Free speech Right

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If your an adult and want to buy games that show extreme violence, buy away. I think there should be a line drawn if your 10 year old kid wants to do the same. We don't let kids buy skin mags, alcohol, or cigerrettes. Why should they have easy access to things that show extreme violence? Is extreme violence any less bad for a kid than a drink of beer, a puff on a ciggerette, or god forbid an image of an exposed breast? If you don't mind your kid playing an extremely violent game, then buy it for them. At least you will know what your kid is playing and what his taste in gaming leans to.

I don't think this is a case of censorship. It is more a case of restricting some materials from minors...which we already do. For the life of me I cannot figure out how keeping a kid from seeing a woman's nipple is not a first amendment issue while keeping them from seeing a woman tortured and killed in a video game is a first amnedment issue.

welcome to the wonderful US of A....
^_^

well, if your 10 year old is lose in the store, you have a bigger problem than bad video games....

I see the 14/15 and up crowd more in danger, and they usually know where to look at nipples on the net - for free...

(but then, just look at the TV lineup, during day light hours. Criminal Minds is a great show, but of the meter creepy in concept. There aren't any good shows on that are not crime shows, trying to put the most realism into the visual experience....the extreme video games are just a small step)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your an adult and want to buy games that show extreme violence, buy away. I think there should be a line drawn if your 10 year old kid wants to do the same. We don't let kids buy skin mags, alcohol, or cigerrettes. Why should they have easy access to things that show extreme violence? Is extreme violence any less bad for a kid than a drink of beer, a puff on a ciggerette, or god forbid an image of an exposed breast? If you don't mind your kid playing an extremely violent game, then buy it for them. At least you will know what your kid is playing and what his taste in gaming leans to.

I don't think this is a case of censorship. It is more a case of restricting some materials from minors...which we already do. For the life of me I cannot figure out how keeping a kid from seeing a woman's nipple is not a first amendment issue while keeping them from seeing a woman tortured and killed in a video game is a first amnedment issue.

welcome to the wonderful US of A....
^_^

well, if your 10 year old is lose in the store, you have a bigger problem than bad video games....

I see the 14/15 and up crowd more in danger, and they usually know where to look at nipples on the net - for free...

(but then, just look at the TV lineup, during day light hours. Criminal Minds is a great show, but of the meter creepy in concept. There aren't any good shows on that are not crime shows, trying to put the most realism into the visual experience....the extreme video games are just a small step)

Good points on both. :) Ultimately, in the end, as I said, its up to the parents to monitor and properly educate the kids on what it is they're viewing. Of course, as GF said, its rare that we can turn on the tv and not see someone in bed, someone kissing, someone getting beat up, blown up, shot, you name it.

Latest Discussions