Vietnamese Wooden Dummy

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Really interesting stuff, I wonder what the purpose of its design is.

Edit:

This one shows the form.

Last edited by a moderator:

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting. I notice in the 1st video that tendency to drop their Wu Sao seems to exist.

I wish the camera had panned back further I would have liked to look at the footwork while the dummy was being worked.

6vior

White Belt
Reaction score
-.-' I do not know this method, but the first video for me is a joke! WHERE IS THE CENTERLINE??????? and the protection?????

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
-.-' I do not know this method, but the first video for me is a joke! WHERE IS THE CENTERLINE??????? and the protection?????

The centerline would be where he is getting hit.

6vior

White Belt
Reaction score
yes, when he is offensive but when he is defensive???

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm going to be blunt , this is garbage.

Sort of defeats the purpose of having arms on the dummy if you are continually dropping your arms and disengaging.
Not to mention the complete lack of correct body alignment in relation to the dummy.

With the dummy itself I fail to see how a heavier dummy swaying back and forth is going to help you practice correct technique , with a conventional dummy you get tactile and auditory feedback from the way it absorbs your force and then rebounds back at you.
This helps you correct your technique.

I think they have completely missed the point on how the dummy is actually used in Wing Chun , you could stick some arms on a really heavy punching bag and get the same effect as what they get on their version of the dummy.

A Wing Chun wooden dummy is a much more sophisticated tool than just a heavy upright log with arms sticking out of it , for someone who knows how to use it properly.

OP
M

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score

Sort of defeats the purpose of having arms on the dummy if you are continually dropping your arms and disengaging.
Not to mention the complete lack of correct body alignment in relation to the dummy.

With the dummy itself I fail to see how a heavier dummy swaying back and forth is going to help you practice correct technique , with a conventional dummy you get tactile and auditory feedback from the way it absorbs your force and then rebounds back at you.

I think they have completely missed the point on how the dummy is actually used in Wing Chun , you could stick some arms on a really heavy punching bag and get the same effect as what they get on their version of the dummy.

A Wing Chun wooden dummy is a much more sophisticated tool than just a heavy upright log with arms sticking out of it , for someone who knows how to use it properly.

I am inclined to agree, allowing for differences in lineage and whatnot, I don't see any proper body structure or core WC concepts in this at all.

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score

You said it. I was trying to be nice. I really hate bashing on someone that was willing to put it out "there". However, I can see nothing worth defending here. :(

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
No disrespect intended but the arms look like table legs and the rocking motion is his own addition.

Cephalopod

Green Belt
Reaction score
Puny wooden dummy for little girls!

My wooden dummy is for real men:

Full disclaimer for the ironically impaired:
This is not me. This is some poor dude I decided to rib on today. My formal apologies to him and his family.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
M

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Mother of God, I had to wash my eyes out after that.

EDIT:

brb, washing my ears out due to the blatant historical inaccuracies

Latest Discussions