Video of me getting rocked Sanda Style

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Context of video: Friendly sparring match against some Sanda students. They are a great bunch of people and really good to spar with. They are the only ones I know outside of my school that spar to help develop skills. The punches are real but they weren't thrown hard. The fighters determined how hard they would hit each other and the rules were that we couldn't give more punishment than we were taking. In other words, we had to match each others power output.

I told their Sifu that they could punch me with a little more force than they did in a previous match. She got the message and did just that. I wasn't sure what her skill level was so I went easy on her. That didn't last long at all. I had to raise my skill level up significantly because she knew what she was doing and knew how to punch. You can tell by the way I got rocked off balanced.

She hit me with a combo that I talked about for almost 3 weeks (which is why the video is in slow motion). She definitely earned my respect as a fighter.

Here's the video. Enjoy because the video won't be up long

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't jack around with Claudia.
yeah I learned the hard way. lol. She has good hand speed but she didn't use it in her last competition. She went for too many grabs, many of them were forced and not done at the appropriate time. If she uses that hand speed and power to make her opponent focus more on their face then she'll be able to pull those grabs with more success.

My wife was inspired by what she did in that video and every since she's been training kung fu with us, so you might get a chance to see her spar against your guys. Hopefully we'll have 2 women that will spar with your guys next time. I'm out of order until I after I have surgery on my finger. I'm looking to spar with Mike (I think that's his name) as I hear he's really fast.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yeah I learned the hard way. lol. She has good hand speed but she didn't use it in her last competition. She went for too many grabs, many of them were forced and not done at the appropriate time. If she uses that hand speed and power to make her opponent focus more on their face then she'll be able to pull those grabs with more success.

That was also the first time she'd been in a competition in over 2 years. She started training again around the time of this visit.

My wife was inspired by what she did in that video and every since she's been training kung fu with us, so you might get a chance to see her spar against your guys. Hopefully we'll have 2 women that will spar with your guys next time. I'm out of order until I after I have surgery on my finger. I'm looking to spar with Mike (I think that's his name) as I hear he's really fast.

Good for her. Y'all should come up to Rick Paninco's tournament in a couple of weeks. Exposure out & about will be a good thing.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I commend the fact that you post a lot of videos of yourself getting rocked. Too many people have way too big of egos. They generally don't last too long in contact sparring. It's a humbling experience getting rocked by a girl, i.e. Someone smaller and weaker than you.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I commend the fact that you post a lot of videos of yourself getting rocked. Too many people have way too big of egos. They generally don't last too long in contact sparring. It's a humbling experience getting rocked by a girl, i.e. Someone smaller and weaker than you.
Thanks. Experiences like that keep me grounded in reality. In that situation I didn't mind getting rocked because it meant that I could treat her like a fighter and not be overly worried that I might hurt her.

So long as I'm not getting rocked in a street fight or UFC,.. or by anyone trying to knock my head off lol. I post more because a good technique is a good technique even if I'm not the one doing it.

Latest Discussions