Very strange TaeKwonDo instructional roundhouse kick

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Anyone who is anyone in TKD knows this kick. Nothing more to discuss!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I have used it in sparring :rolleyes: The difference is that I angled it properly, his was not, in front view in the air.

It did not look or quack like a duck so I assumed it was not a duck. It turns out that it was a very ugly duck.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have used it in sparring :rolleyes: The difference is that I angled it properly, his was not properly done so in front view.

It did not look or quack like a duck so I assumed it was not a duck. It turns out it was a very ugly duck.
The fact is as far as Kukki techs are concerned, the Korean term is the correct one. Translations leave room for interpretation. Nothing to do with semantics. Dollyo chagi has several variants, all of which are subsets of dollyo chagi with their own korean names.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The fact is as far as Kukki techs are concerned, the Korean term is the correct one. Translations leave room for interpretation. Nothing to do with semantics. Dollyo chagi has several variants, all of which are subsets of dollyo chagi with their own korean names.

The distinction dirty dog and he makes between turning kicks (traveling at an angle) and roundhouse kicks ( parallel to the floor) does not exist in ITF. There is no such thing as a roundhouse kick in ITF. There's only turning kick.

Now as for the the technical execution, it's supposed to travel vertically, both foot and leg, his does not.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Roundhouse kicks. Of all the kicks in Martial Arts, I think the roundhouse kick has the most uses, the most different ways to throw it according to style, how you were taught or you taught yourself through trail and error, the most uses against resisting opponents, the most angles available to actual combat, the easiest to teach if you have patience and an understanding of movement, the more variants you can access to actually kick the ship out of someone in real combat, as a lead in, as a coup de grace, as a fake, as a distraction, as a part of a combination that will force an opponent to react, as a knock out shot, as a sweep, as a leg attack, as a jab, as a counter, as a statement, as a switch kick, as a power blast, damn, if you really know how to kick, it's as automatic as blinking.

I'm not sure if I've ever experienced two people....who don't know each other....that actually roundhouse kick the same way. In class maybe, not in actually mixing it up. Too many nuances, takes a few seconds to adjust sometimes. You might eat feet for a few seconds if you aren't careful.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Roundhouse kicks. Of all the kicks in Martial Arts, I think the roundhouse kick has the most uses, the most different ways to throw it according to style, how you were taught or you taught yourself through trail and error, the most uses against resisting opponents, the most angles available to actual combat, the easiest to teach if you have patience and an understanding of movement, the more variants you can access to actually kick the ship out of someone in real combat, as a lead in, as a coup de grace, as a fake, as a distraction, as a part of a combination that will force an opponent to react, as a knock out shot, as a sweep, as a leg attack, as a jab, as a counter, as a statement, as a switch kick, as a power blast, damn, if you really know how to kick, it's as automatic as blinking.

I'm not sure if I've ever experienced two people....who don't know each other....that actually roundhouse kick the same way. In class maybe, not in actually mixing it up. Too many nuances, takes a few seconds to adjust sometimes. You might eat feet for a few seconds if you aren't careful.

The hardest one to counter with a punch to the face is unquestionably the ones with a lean, even back lean. The head just isn't there to be punched and then they just step out. What pattern judges feel about it aestethically is really.. Irrelevant.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The distinction dirty dog and he makes between turning kicks (traveling at an angle) and roundhouse kicks ( parallel to the floor) does not exist in ITF. There is no such thing as a roundhouse kick in ITF. There's only turning kick.

Now as for the the technical execution, it's supposed to travel vertically, both foot and leg, his does not.
What?

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The hardest one to counter with a punch to the face is unquestionably the ones with a lean, even back lean. The head just isn't there to be punched and then they just step out. What pattern judges feel about it aestethically is really.. Irrelevant.
And yet, with your arms dangling as they are in your pics, you are ironically wide open to bandal chagi as a counter.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
And yet, with your arms dangling as they are in your pics, you are ironically wide open to bandal chagi as a counter.

Eh, I would not spar with hands like that. This is my usual hand position sparring when kicking. I never get countered when I kick because when I kick they circle.. But I have caught them with a half turning kick so it is definitely effective in sparring, maybe not in self defense though

Attachments

• _20191204_220844.JPG
    _20191204_220844.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 321

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you've never been countered when kicking you need some better sparring partners.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Eh, I would not spar with hands like that. This is my usual hand position sparring when kicking. I never get countered when I kick because when I kick they circle.. But I have caught them with a half turning kick so it is definitely effective in sparring, maybe not in self defense though
*suspicious face cropping*

You never get countered when you kick. Pff.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Still wide open by the way.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If you've never been countered when kicking you need some better sparring partners.

I''ve been knocked down by a spinning side kick to the chest when side kicking, but I have never been tagged when throwing roundhouse kicks, no. They tend to back up:cool:

The spinning side kick was the only time I've ever been dropped and it was pure force. never tripped, never been dazed nothing... I've been round house kicked clean to the jaw when i lost concentration late in the session and zooned out. But that did not drop me.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Still wide open by the way.

That's not sparring kick.. I don't practice sparring kicks at home. They don't feel good for the hips against air...

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's not sparring kick.. I don't practice sparring kicks at home. They don't feel good for the hips against air...
You said that is how you hold you arms when sparring. You're wide open. Nothing to do with the kick, just terrible posture.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You said that is how you hold you arms when sparring.

My right arm is not down like in the picture it's at the same height as the other one. Don't think there is any controversial about that..

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The other arm is not down like in the picture it's at the same height as the other one. Don't think there is any controversial about that..
Think what you like.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When I'm not kicking however I have been experimenting with all types of guards. All have drawbacks unfortunately.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I will accept if it's an unfortunate terminological confusion/overlap with my ITF system. I think we TKDoins should try and get along.

The ITF doesn't like the KKW and the KKW doesn't even know that ITF exist. That's the state of TaeKwonDo, and it's a very sad one.
That could not be more wrong.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well that was an entertaining 15 mins read, Hapkido kicks are slightly different, so wouldn't comment on itf or kkw differences, @Alan Smithee it's obvious you have little training, and most of it seems to be from youtube, if you are countered whilst kicking, you executed the kick incorrectly, or are too slow, I am not tkd, but the picture of you (if it is indeed you) gives away your nieveity, as do your posts, if you have a question just ask it, you won't find the answers you seek by bashing other styles.

Latest Discussions