Very strange TaeKwonDo instructional roundhouse kick

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Dirty Dog, is there a mac menu in your school? Dude can't kick and you defend his angles, lol.

"Congratulations student! You did everything wrong but you did hit that 25 degree angle." I hereby award you a 6th Dan."

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even as a sport kick it looks totally wrong. Functional or not, I would not call that a round kick. I stand by by my original assertion that it's a misguided front kick.
It's a terminology question. I'd call that a round kick. It's what we call that kick in NGA. I can't speak to what's common in different groups within TKD, but I wouldn't be surprised to find there are differences in English terminology.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's a terminology question. I'd call that a round kick. It's what we call that kick in NGA. I can't speak to what's common in different groups within TKD, but I wouldn't be surprised to find there are differences in English terminology.

Not when he does it in the air. if he can't demonstrate it properly, he shouldn't make a demonstration video

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not when he does it in the air. if he can't demonstrate it properly, he shouldn't make a demonstration video
Agree. But how is that different from the many Youtube videos you reference as factual and correct?
It is a roundhouse kick. Granted not a great one nor one that should be used as instructional.
From the limited information available on the video, for all any of us know he may be a great kicker in application.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
But how is that different from the many Youtube videos you reference as factual and correct?

I don't recall referencing any Youtube videos as factual and correct

Last edited:
OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Never seen this one before

7d7ddd458b526532461fb3b909453274.jpg

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've trained daily since 2014 to 1st Dan now can we get back to the topic - why is he claiming that's a turning kick, and why is he differentiating between a turning kick and a dollyeo chagi/roundhouse kick. If I look up a modern KKW textbook, it would read "turning kick" for that kick?

Let's just say I doubt that very much.
So a trial class in Shotokan and KKW TKD and then, by working out Every day it took you 5 years to get to 1st Dan?
Why do you put yourself through this?
IF you are in fact an ITF person you should not have to ask this question.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've been very forthcoming to your investigation. Now, about that terminology of his... Would you please point me to a reference to that particular kick under the listing of turning kick?
There is a bit of semantics and style specific terminology at play here. The terms turning and rotating are usually interchangeable. Turning and spinning often get misinterpreted. Not 100% accurate but turning is usually moving forward with the rear leg and spinning is moving backwards.
If right leg is back: turning is counter-clockwise and spinning is clockwise looking from the vertical axis.
I doubt you will get that but I am trying to sincerely answer your question.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
IF you are in fact an ITF person you should not have to ask this question.

Nah, I reached yellow belt in Shotokan and KKW. I Don't remember much technical specificities about my experience in the KKW, but I feel like I would have recognized that ugly kick:)

I do remember drilling endless tornados and double roundhouse kicks, neither of which are done in my 5 years in ITF.. We also punched as much as they do in Judo... That is to say only in patterns. I remember my buddy and I didn't get why they don't punch in TaeKwondo on targets, even in training.

The technical level of the instructor was high but there was no martial arts element to the training. It was basically banging mitts all day. Patterns were mostly past time activities. It was fun but a bit strange that we didn't focus on more basic kicks as beginners. We did turns and spins right away. Cardio training was pretty nice, we got to kick hard. It felt legit but for sure different than ITF.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There is a bit of semantics and style specific terminology at play here. The terms turning and rotating are usually interchangeable. Turning and spinning often get misinterpreted. Not 100% accurate but turning is usually moving forward with the rear leg and spinning is moving backwards.
If right leg is back: turning is counter-clockwise and spinning is clockwise looking from the vertical axis.
I doubt you will get that but I am trying to sincerely answer your question.

I will accept if it's an unfortunate terminological confusion/overlap with my ITF system. I think we TKDoins should try and get along.

The ITF doesn't like the KKW and the KKW doesn't even know that ITF exist. That's the state of TaeKwonDo, and it's a very sad one.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I will accept if it's an unfortunate terminological confusion/overlap with my ITF system. I think we TKDoins should try and get along.

The ITF doesn't like the KKW and the KKW doesn't even know that ITF exist. That's the state of TaeKwonDo, and it's a very sad one.

There's little truth in any of the statements you made there, just so you know.

2006 KKW Taekwondo Textbook differentiates between Dollyo Chagi and Ap Chagi, and goes on to describe variants of each. The kick in the OP video is named Bandal Chagi (Dichotomy kick), and described as a half and half diagonal kick. Half Ap, half Dollyo.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The kick in the OP video is named Bandal Chagi (Dichotomy kick), and described as a half and half diagonal kick. Half Ap, half Dollyo.

He calls it paldung chagi and translates that to turning kick. There is only one match on youtube for paldung chagi and it's him. This is not the first time TKD instructors online invent their own terminology.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
He calls it paldung chagi and translates that to turning kick. There is only one match on youtube for paldung chagi and it's him. This is not the first time TKD instructors online invent their own terminology.
It's a variant of turning kick. He calls it Paldung, the German Taekwondo Union calls it Paltung, the British and Spanish call it Bit Chagi or half turning kick. Different kicks have different names around the world. There's more out there than Youtube.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's a variant of turning kick. He calls it Paldung, the German Taekwondo Union calls it Paltung, the British and Spanish call it Bit Chagi or half turning kick. Different kicks have different names around the world. There's more out there than Youtube.

So he should have said half turning kick, since he should know that turning kick is the dollyo chagi. Anybody can see that's it's a failed one. Half turning kicks do not look like that.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So he should have said half turning kick, since he should know that turning kick is the dollyo chagi. Anybody can see that's it's a failed one. Half turning kicks do not look like that.
There is no half turning kick. It's a variant of dollyo chagi.

OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That doesn't look head height .

This one is mid section, right? I'm assuming you're training for the Harlem Globetrotters with your definition of "head height" .

Attachments

• _20191204_193129.JPG
    _20191204_193129.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
OP
A

Alan Smithee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There is no half turning kick. It's a variant of dollyo chagi.

We are down to semantics here. I agree it belongs to the umbrella term of "turning kick", which is why I was rather surprised when he then threw a standard one and called that dollyo chagi/roundhouse kick.

Latest Discussions