Very bad balance on lead leg?

Nedus1

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys

So i practise Muay Thai but i was unlucky enough to have had a stroke whilst in the womb so im now hemiplegic (basically means it feels like i have been given a dead arm and leg on the left side at all times) but it also means my left leg balance is AWFUL. If im left standing on it alone i'll stumble after 1-2-secs MAX.

Now im fine with the punchs, clinchs and knees/elbows but i cannot for the life of me perform a mid to high roundhouse
frown.gif

Can anyone offer an tips to perform this technique to someone who has bad balance with their lead leg/any work arounds? I've tried unorthodox but my left leg doesn't feel powerful enough to deliver a strong blow.

I'm not sure if this is due to my balance but i'm also unable to raise my right leg that high adding further difficulty to performing a roundhouse, i this normal? Any tips would be very much appreciated

Thanks

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your trouble!

I am not a Muay Thai boxer, however, I have had orthopedic issues of my own.

Strength and balance are tightly interrelated. You have muscles in your leg that are more load-bearing in function, others are more weight-bearing. I would focus on exercises that will help build your muscles up in that leg. Your Kru may have some ideas...if you have a physical therapist, chiropractor, or personal trainer, they might have some ideas too.

One thing that one of my teachers has suggested is ankle rotations. Stand with your feet in a natural stance, then raise one knee, and rotate the ankle a few times in one direction, then the other.

I do a strength training exercise that will work both your load-bearing and stabilizing muscles. It requires weight bench and preferably some dumbbells.

Hold a dumbbell in each hand. Don't go crazy on the weight, they can be
light, or even no weight at all.

Step with your left leg on to the weight bench. Bring the right leg up up so you are standing on the weight bench. Stand naturally, with your weight evenly distributed.

Now, using your left leg, step down from the bench on to the floor.

Do this for a set of reps, then repeat using your right leg.

I hope that helps :)

Latest Discussions