Valor Blind

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
http://www.coxandforkum.com/archives/000865.html

The prominence of stories about military malfeasance, absent stories about military heroism, creates an out-of-whack impression. When it comes to reporting on the military, it's as if we're back in the 1950s, only this time the media prejudice and insensitivity are aimed at military service rather than race. In the 1950s, you rarely saw a story about an African American unless he or she committed a crime or was portrayed with condescension as a victim. ...

Hiding Heros?

http://www.mrc.org/realitycheck/2006/fax20060612.asp

While ABC, CBS and NBC have chosen to highlight this potential scandal, a new Media Research Center study finds those same networks have given far less attention to the heroic deeds of the 20 members of the U.S. military who have received the highest recognition for bravery since the war on terror began. In fact, 14 of the country's top 20 medal recipients have gone unmentioned by ABC, CBS and NBC.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree! It seems that, by and large, the media would rather print stories involving ANY wrongdoing (including suspected wrongdoings, rumored wrongdoings, or dreamt-of wrongdoings) by our military personnel.

To me, they'll always be the best. God bless every one of them.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Most unfortunately the news is now more about network share and profit margins today than actually reporting the news... Scandal sells....

And it is very very wrong to report in the manner in which they are reporting today.

I agree with you.

Sad but true… the days of Walter Cronkite are gone.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am sure if you were to calculate the number, there are far many more positive stories.

I receive letters from family anf friends deployed in Iraq. They send home pictures of kids playing in the street, going to school (even the grirls), saving the lives of insurgents (ones who just tried to kill them), and fellow soldiers spending money at local establishments. Many Iraqis run up to soldiers to shake their hands.

It is up to the rest of us to speak of this greatnest each time we hear someone trash talk the miltary as a whole. Everything in life has "dark side" if you look hard enough.

Keep up the great work!

Latest Discussions