Using ways to make your op. leave their groove.

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok, through reading, and experimenting, i've found out ways to make my opponent leave his groove of fighting. Embarrassment, While fighting someone *used this at tournaments* only block with your knees, and most of the time when they try to kick you, knock them off you,*hence cut kick, back kick, check ect* I notice they begin to get scared. So then they either start attacking me wildly, hence i got them where i want them, or they back off from me, thinking *how can i get him* hence i got them. Anyone else use any other kinda ways to make their opponent do things they dont want to do? Sometimes ill wave my hands at them *illegal btw* i really like putting fear into the guy i fight, i've had the same kind of fear. A guy i use to spar alot, taught me how to simi intimidate your opponent. I'd like to know more about this, anyone else know any other idea's to intimidate your opponent when fighting? to make them leave their normal fighting groove?

Laborn.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I don't think waving your hands will get you too far. :) But I know what you are talking about. I'm pretty aggressive sparring but sometimes just like to be unpredictable and sit back and "put fear in them" as you say by just stopping any action. Even though I'm the oldest in our group of women, I've been there the longest. Most of the women just hate getting kicked to the head so if we agree that we won't kick to the head they will spar. I'm the only one that kicks to the head though. Well, so, I faked a kick to the head-just an inside crescent not even close. That permanently freaked my opponent out for the rest of the match. Its fun to be unpredictable. TW

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Laborn said:
Ok, through reading, and experimenting, i've found out ways to make my opponent leave his groove of fighting. Embarrassment, While fighting someone *used this at tournaments* only block with your knees, and most of the time when they try to kick you, knock them off you,*hence cut kick, back kick, check ect* I notice they begin to get scared. So then they either start attacking me wildly, hence i got them where i want them, or they back off from me, thinking *how can i get him* hence i got them. Anyone else use any other kinda ways to make their opponent do things they dont want to do? Sometimes ill wave my hands at them *illegal btw* i really like putting fear into the guy i fight, i've had the same kind of fear. A guy i use to spar alot, taught me how to simi intimidate your opponent. I'd like to know more about this, anyone else know any other idea's to intimidate your opponent when fighting? to make them leave their normal fighting groove?
Laborn.

Labron one has to haveto ability to change direction when they fight, all great fighters have a second or even third personality about them that will so different fighting styles.
I'm enjoying all your post lately keep up the good work.
Terry

OP
L

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Awww thanks terry! And btw tigerwoman, lmao. I wave my hands at them because they wonder what im doing. A few times i've waved my hands at them and then immediately kick them, they dont even know what happened hehe.

Laborn.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just so you know. This is a timing issue. Much more so than matching or getting a rythm. If whatever you do, be it waving your arms or telling them their shoe is untied, stops them from hitting you at that moment you have effected that person's timing.
Sean

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Laborn said:
I'd like to know more about this, anyone else know any other idea's to intimidate your opponent when fighting? to make them leave their normal fighting groove?

Laborn.
There are a few guys that love to throw out feints and bounce around etc. I've found that I just stop, they tend to stop too. Then they never get their preferred match rhythm back. No more feints etc. Lets me reset the match to how I want it to go.

Against bigger guys that like to charge in, I'll set myself then roundhouse them in the back of the head with my lead leg once they've closed the gap. Tends to make then leery of bulling in afterwards.

OP
L

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I always freak people out when they rush me. Rushing me is a BIG mistake, every time i am rushed i spin back kick, most of the time i knock the wind out of them. I love that kind of fear, you can just see it in their eyes, i love it.

Yet then there are guys out there like freaking marines. I've used all my fear tactics, nope, they still rush me , rush me, rush me, rush me, like they dont care. Those are the scary fighters lol. Plus their no fun.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Laborn said:
Yet then there are guys out there like freaking marines. I've used all my fear tactics, nope, they still rush me , rush me, rush me, rush me, like they dont care. Those are the scary fighters lol. Plus their no fun.

How true! I once sparred with a Marine fresh out of Officer Candidate School. I accidently caught him with a near full power sidekick. He just looked at me for a moment like, "I guess you touched me, or something", then proceeded to clean my clock unfazed (friendly match, no payback or anything - he was simply a tougher fighter than I, if less technically proficient). Some people can take your best shot and just keep coming.

On thread topic; I used to fake (while point sparring) an inside crescent to the head, than at the last moment turn it into a roundhouse kick. I even caught the head instructor with this a few times. The key, IMO, is to think creatively.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Laborn said:
I always freak people out when they rush me. Rushing me is a BIG mistake, every time i am rushed i spin back kick, most of the time i knock the wind out of them. I love that kind of fear, you can just see it in their eyes, i love it.

I had a TKD sparring partner who used to do that to me all the time! It taught me, eventually, at least, not to just "mad dog" it while sparring. I never quite mastered the technique myself, but I can do a spinning heel quite nicely, thank you...

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Labron one has to haveto ability to change direction when they fight, all great fighters have a second or even third personality about them that will so different fighting styles.
I'm enjoying all your post lately keep up the good work.
Terry

So true, and besides just having several different fighting personalities, they can also move side to side as proficiently as up and back - a skill boxers seem to be better at than many TKD stylists or Karateka. Both skills, however, take years, IMO, to develop and you don't often see a young Chodan switching gears as quickly as an older Samdan.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As others have said, it's a timing issue.

Some of the tricks I use when sparring:

- Throw two or three strikes, without intent to hit but keeping in mind that I can if the option presents itself, at a set spead. A beat, if you will. One, two, three. Then on the half beat, which would be three and-a-half, you throw a full speed full power attack.

The trick is to make sure your opponent is expecting that last attack at the right place at the right time, and that they commit to defending against the attack they think is coming. Then they can't defend against the other one.

- Constantly limit your range. The 'gap' as it's known, is the distance between two fighters who believe they are each outside the others effective range. If you refuse to strike to your full range, then your opponent will believe he has a 'gap' when in actuality he does not. Then push him back with a limited range attack, and follow up with a full range attack.

This is more useful against opponents who constantly evade, rather than engage.

- Encourage the counter attack. If you watch your opponent, and work out where and how he likes to attack, you can apply a suitable counter. Leave a 'fake' gap in your defences, and when he attacks it, apply the counter.

For example, you might drop your hands for a moment, knowing he will attempt a lead-hand punch to the head. When he throws the punch, you parry it and reply with an attack of your own.

DArnold

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Laborn said:

Laborn.

Watch "Return of the Dragon" where Chuck Norris fights Bruce Lee. It is a fun fight sceen but there is a very important lesson.

PREDICTABILITY IS BAD

You must be able to fight more than one way, if I know what you are going to do (or you only have one way to fight) then you are easily defeated. This is true in all aspects: techniques, timing, stances, distancing...

In the beginning Chuck is fighting standard TKD, so Bruce tries to match his style.
Bruce starts getting his butt kicked.
So then Bruce has a gestalt and realizes that he is not a TKD fighter.
He changes to JKD and starts kicking Chuck's butt.
Chuck realizes TKD is not working so he tries to fight JKD, of which he knows nothing about and then gets killed.

Moral, if you only have one way to fight then you are predictable and will probably loose.

Here is another simple training technique.
While sparring, try moveing around on the floor in the diagram of a star.
The sides of the star do not have to be equal.
At any time when a clash occures you can fall out of this pattern
When you get better at it the direction of the star can move.

This is a very simple training technique for movement that usually keeps your opponent off guard. (Doesn't let his cross hairs focus on you :) )

Have fun