Usagi Tobi

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I normally hang out in the Korean Arts section, but I am reading a book that mentions usagi tobi or "bunny hops". Can someone tell me what these are? thanks!

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sorry, but I've never heard of anything referred to by that name, or anything even close to it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bunny hops are an exercise for the legs, you crouch down, and bounce/jump around the dojo. Sounds easy but you have to stay in crouching position. There is a lot of disagreement about this 'exercise' as to whether its' good for you or not. I believe it has been used as a punishment in Dojos in the past in the manner that press ups are often used. You can crouch all the way down, bum to heels or various degrees almost to standing.

OP
Laurentkd

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bunny hops are an exercise for the legs, you crouch down, and bounce/jump around the dojo. Sounds easy but you have to stay in crouching position. There is a lot of disagreement about this 'exercise' as to whether its' good for you or not. I believe it has been used as a punishment in Dojos in the past in the manner that press ups are often used. You can crouch all the way down, bum to heels or various degrees almost to standing.

Thanks! That is actually what I thought there were. I've done the same thing in TKD dojangs in the past, but didn't really have a real name for them. We used to do sets of 100, and yes they are very hard!!!

Last edited:

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks for that Tez3. I had never heard of them before. Of course, I've never been in a dojo that used punishments either, so that could explain it. :) Is punishment a fairly common thing in karate dojo?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

It is used in some CMA as training but it was a frog, not a bunny in CMA

Latest Discussions