US Open thoughts!!!

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just spentthe week at the US OPEN TKD....

Got to see ATC, MANGO MAN, DAD OF LADT TAZ,,,,

It was great...the level of talent at this US Open was off the charts from the 10-11 alll the way up to Olympians. By far the most talent I has seen in one place for a TKD event!

I have a pretty good background having been to multiple international events. Trust me it was incredible..

I'll let ATC and Dad of of Lady TAZ let you know how their kids did so as not steal any thunder.

I will update you on Kym and Charlie...

Kym lost her first match in the SR Bantam weight division to Canada in overtime...she fought very well and I was very proud of her. She starts training for Germany on Monday!

Charlie beat Canada in the first round and then beat Mexico in the second round...he lost in the quarter finals to one of the Top Jr fighters in the world from Thailand...who won the gold medal...Charlie gave him his toughest fight....It gives us measuring stick and some perspective and direction on what is needed in our training going forward...

Incredible experience!!!!!

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It was great to see you Tal. As you know it was the first TKD event I have been to for a couple of years. It was fun to see so many familiar faces and to cheer for some folks that I have not seen in a very long time. I was only there for the second half of the day on Saturday but from what I saw, the competition was very well run and there were some very exciting matches. Great job to all that participated.

Dad of lady Taz!

White Belt
Reaction score
OK,
I will chime in here. The tournament ran well, my little girl won her division 15-17 Jrs. which now makes the third US open she has won! I think the event ran smooth and the divisions were done fairly quick. I will also say this. The talent level at this level has certainly improved, especially the international fighters. The most exciting fight for us was Puerto Rico. This girl came out with a swagger, looked over at my daughter (who usually is one of, if not the smallest fighter in her division) and had a look like "Yall keep my seat warm, I'll be back in a minute." 1 Seejek and 30 seconds later she soon realized it was going to be a fight! And these two girls really went at it! In the second round the girl from Puerto Rico tried to right herself after being kicked, but instead slipped and appeared to pull a muscle in her back or leg. You could tell that she was in agonizing pain. But she kept fighting. The fight still ended fairly close. Much respect goes to her. Which brings me to one of my few criticisms of this event...COULD WE PLEASE NOT HAVE SLIPPERY MATS!!! It is dangerous and not fair to the athletes who have worked so hard to get there. I would complain about the reffing, but I don't have that kind of time right now, lol. Overall, had fun, and can honestly say the efficiency of this event has GREATLY improved!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Was good to see everyone there, I also got to meet Archtkd from this board as well. He got to watch my son in the finals. Always good to meet good people that support all of TKD.

Tal's son Charlie had 3 great fights. As stated the Thailand kid was no joke. The entire Thailand team was no joke. Congrats to Charlie on a job well done. Kym's fight vs. Canada should have went her way, the punch to the chest hurt that girl and she played it well by grabbing her throat. Kym won that match so she should be proud also.

As for my kids they both did well. My son won his division beating 2 tough Mexican fighters from Mexico. He also had to fight 2 guys from the US but they did not pose any problems. Mexico and Canada seems to get better and better each year. Canada had the most improved fighters.

My daughter lost her opening match in overtime to Mexico. 9-9 in regulation and then a sudden death OT loss. That is good for her as this is her first major event back since having foot surgery about a year and a half ago. I did not expect her to win as there was a
Thailand girl in her division that took gold and did not give up a single point. She gap and shut out everyone she went up against except Denmark in the finals which she still won 1 - 0. Again Thailand was no joke.

The competition for this US. Open was top notch and I got to see many great fight up close and in person. I will have to agree with Dad of lady Taz about the mats. They are always brand new so they are like fighting on ice. They need to do something about that I saw maybe 3 or 4 slips and then groin or hammy pulls. Not good at all. But other than that it was a great event. Each day was finished by 7:00PM so no late nights at all.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Glad to hear you guys had so much success. I really miss being around high level TKD, I guess I need to step my coaching up :)

Mexico and Canada seems to get better and better each year. Canada had the most improved fighters.

From what I have been hearing, our national team is improving quickly. I was quite impressed with Master Lim when I got to train with him. The other big benefit for Canadian athletes is proximity to the US and competing against the talent pool there.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Canadians are much improved!!!!

My son is going to the Canadian Open in May...went last year and it was a great tournament!!!!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Glad to hear you guys had so much success. I really miss being around high level TKD, I guess I need to step my coaching up :)

From what I have been hearing, our national team is improving quickly. I was quite impressed with Master Lim when I got to train with him. The other big benefit for Canadian athletes is proximity to the US and competing against the talent pool there.
Our national team did not compete so hard to judge their progress. Our National Jr. Team and Cadet Team did a great job. But our Sr. Team and top Team members only showed up to support the event. They did not compete at all. Not sure why but it would have been nice to see them compete. But Canada did look good. The kid that almost beat Servet had a very sneaky ap-bal kick that did scored everytime he used it as a counter. Hard to see it score but after watching replays of the match you could see it score. Without E-hogus those would have never scored. That is why I like the E-hogus.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the more ring time our athletes get, the better. In five-ten years with any luck Canada will be more competitive on the world stage. Even without the USA senior team and top A team to fight, the ring time will help. Admittedly all my news on the US Open has come from group emails from Michelle Robb and you guys.

Canadian Open should be a good tournament, Gorilla. Wish I could make it.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
USAT is in shambles...I here that they will be at the German Open???

TJ, Paige and C. Craig

Latest Discussions