US military beats out Disney as happy place to work

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
US military beats out Disney as happy place to work

By Brian Anthony Hernandez, BusinessNewsDaily Staff Writer The Christian Science MonitorExcerpt:
posted October 25, 2010 at 12:21 pm EDT
Disney owns the “Happiest Place on Earth,” but it doesn’t employ the happiest workers in the US, according to a new survey that identified the most "blissful places to work." The list reveals all four major branches of the military and the National Guard rank higher than Disney and other well-known companies, such as Microsoft and Johnson & Johnson.
Despite lengthy deployments and lower salaries, for example, the Army and National Guard ranked Nos. 1 and 2 in the career advancement category, beating out Google for the top spots. The military also ranked high in growth opportunity, benefits and job security.
“Corporate America could learn from our military’s unique programs. The bottom line is that when a company provides opportunities to grow and tools to improve skills, it creates a happier work environment,” said Rick Wainschel, vice president of online career-guidance tool CareerBliss.
CareerBliss used independent reviews to evaluate companies based on opportunities for growth, compensation, benefits, work-life balance, career advancement, senior management, job security and whether the employee would recommend the company to others.
In a review from the more than one thousand appraisals written by military members in 2010, an Army administrator in Georgia wrote, “Serving in the Army offered the ultimate job security, not to mention an unmatched benefits package. It was also a good source of gaining valuable technical and real-life experience.”
End excerpt
They'd be even happier if they were paid better, as they deserve.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But this bit is resonantly true to all of us working stiffs:

"The bottom line is that when a company provides opportunities to grow and tools to improve skills, it creates a happier work environment"

I know a major gripe I have with my job is that I basically have to train myself and make do with inadequate resources to make millions for my company and get little or no reward or recognition for it. That does not make me a happy bunny.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But this bit is resonantly true to all of us working stiffs:

"The bottom line is that when a company provides opportunities to grow and tools to improve skills, it creates a happier work environment"

I know a major gripe I have with my job is that I basically have to train myself and make do with inadequate resources to make millions for my company and get little or no reward or recognition for it. That does not make me a happy bunny.

Still, that's better then being the unwitting subject of a medical experiment or being poisoned intentionally or unintentionally to death. Not to mention that you basically get to kill or be killed as part of a multinational corporate racket.

I suppose if you can suspend disbelief to a point where you can stomach the "great narrative", anything is possible.

I saw Lee Greenwood perform at the Minnesota State Fair. The crowd went wild for this song. So, I guess it's happy happy joy joy. The human mind is unlimited in its mutability. It's even funnier in German.

Anyway, I know I'm smashing plates here, but some things are ridiculous.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Still, that's better then being the unwitting subject of a medical experiment or being poisoned intentionally or unintentionally to death. Not to mention that you basically get to kill or be killed as part of a multinational corporate racket.

I suppose if you can suspend disbelief to a point where you can stomach the "great narrative", anything is possible.

I saw Lee Greenwood perform at the Minnesota State Fair. The crowd went wild for this song. So, I guess it's happy happy joy joy. The human mind is unlimited in its mutability. It's even funnier in German.

Dude, you really are talking about something you know absolutely nothing about. Just stop, you sound like a child throwing a temper tantrum.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
One reason Combat Arms troops are probably happy: Blowing stuff up, is fun...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Last edited:

5-0 Kenpo

Master of Arts
Reaction score

This is true only if people view things from your perspective. Not everyone does.

And remember, people can hear what you and your sources say and still not view things from your perspective. If you choose to decide that they are being coereced, that is your right to do so. But, it does nothing to change the issues presented in this report.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is true only if people view things from your perspective. Not everyone does.

And remember, people can hear what you and your sources say and still not view things from your perspective. If you choose to decide that they are being coereced, that is your right to do so. But, it does nothing to change the issues presented in this report.

I realize this and I thank you for your remark. I wouldn't say "coerced" however, at least not in the way that most people think of coercion. It is coercion, but not at the point of a gun. It's at the point of a laugh.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
You should just watch the videos I posted then decide if think I know anything about anything. How do you know anything about anything?

Maybe ask one question, braddah...

The topic here is the ranking of the military in terms of job satisfaction, something of which you will never have first-hand knowledge. Stop littering the thread with your insulting comments about Nazis and babykillers.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can believe that the military is a good place to work. Both the United States military and our own are volunteer forces, if people don't know what they are getting themselves into they probably deserve everything they get but it's more likely they will be rejected anyway.

The military offers more than money or good working conditions it offers you the chance to experience the camaradie that is rare in civvie street. Friendships are more intense when you have to watch each others backs and you know you can trust your mates with your life. A great many service people have difficulties when they come out simply because civvies don't have that same trust, sense of humour and dependabilty you find in the military. There is an attitude in the military which means you don't sit whinging you take action. It's life lived to the full, it may be a short life but it's life not existing. We had a medal parade last week for one og the regiments back from Afghan, they brought up the wounded from hospital to receive theirs and they stayed in the medical receptions station we have here, and what a party it was, all the lads from the regiment came up to see them, there were wheelchair races down the corridors, huger amount of laughter. The next day after the ceremony there was a funfair, stalls and the bar. The wounded lads were going back to hospital after but they all went drunk as skunks, one of them was a triple amputee, both legs and an arm gone. He was well gone, he said it was easier to get drunk as the alcohol didn't have as far to go with him and he couldn't stop them buying him drinks because he hadn't a leg to stand on.

You can get better jobs, you can get more pay, you can have a nice safe workplace but you will never taste life so intensely or have mates that will lay down their lives for you whatever you think.It's like being alive compared to sleeping your life away. Not for everyone but if you haven't any experience of military life it's hard to understand and you probably shouldn't criticise what you don't know.

Bad things of course about being in the military, mostly that's down to the politicians and the governments, on the whole though yes the military is a good place to work.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I did see a comment that you have a higher chance of dying working at Disney than in the peacetime Army. There've been a couple of exposes on how poor workers have been treated there. Either of them though have better satisfaction and perks than the average McJob.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"CareerBliss used independent reviews to evaluate companies based on opportunities for growth, compensation, benefits, work-life balance, career advancement, senior management, job security and whether the employee would recommend the company to others."

Note the categories. Lots of those are quite limited in many corporate type jobs. Odds are that the vast majority of sales floor staff at major retailers aren't likely to move up to management. Same thing about lots of other jobs. The military is built on an advancement/career development model; both enlisted and officers are expected to advance and move on as they remain in the service. Similarly -- training to do this is provided, and you're expected to take and participate in it.

Then there's the whole issue of job satisfaction... Lots of people work to survive, and don't feel like they're job is doing anything but letting the pay the bills. Many service members do really feel that they are contributing to a safer world, etc.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For every story about troops killing civilians etc there are more telling of heroism in saving lives or making lives better for civilians. this example is a British one but I have no doubt whatsoever there's also American examples similiar to this, I just don't know where to look for them.
http://www.army.mod.uk/news/21797.aspx

In case you think it's Army propaganda its on other media sites too.

Our forces and again I believe it to be true of the Americans, are building schools, starting sports teams, providing medical facilities for the Afghans etc, much of it in their own time not while on duty.
Why? because they put their money where their mouth is.

Outside of warzones, in them a lot of times too, there are great sporting facilites for whatever sport you want, outdoor training such as rock climbing, canoeing,sking etc. There is great education facilities where you can study for degrees or brush up on your general education even on the front line. There's courses to go on so you come out with all your driving licenses from a car to a big truck as well as tracked vehicles. It's not a bad life but like many things you get out what you put in.

PS I did find a story about American soldiers. Well done lads!
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=018_1280596019

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tez, you might appreciate this given your daughter's own interests.

This is my niece. She is an equestrienne who has competed in events in the Americas and Australia...and in uniform she is one kick-butt MP. :)

71654_1445300049455_1141744396_30944933_2145460_n.jpg

36094_1317565096161_1141744396_30688649_7804357_n.jpg

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that Carol! Now she does have a hard job! Tell her to get an exchange posting over here to our RMP and we'll look after her!

Latest Discussions