upnorthkyosa's reflective training journal

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
1-2-2007 - Practice Entry

Well, I'm back on track. I got up at 5:00 am and did Martial Arts Workout A. Everything feels pretty good. It think its because I've been taking care of myself better and not forcing my body to do the techniques that have been giving me problems. I think all of this will change my practice eventually. I'm really looking at the value of this or that technique right now and trying to make some judgements...

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
1-3-2007 - Practice Entry

I did my normal weight lifting routine this morning. Not really feeling well right now, so this was really difficult. It's not that I'm sick, its just that when I'm laying down, I'm getting some bad reflux. That stuff hurts.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
1-7-2008 - Practice Entry

I worked Martial Arts Workout A this morning. It is the start of my first full work week of the new year so I'm glad to have started it on a good step. Everything felt good this morning...

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
1-10-2007 - Teaching Entry

Definitely not a good night. Check out the thread on losing our location. We are homeless for now. Working diligently to get a new place...

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
1-14-2008 - Practice Entry

I worked Martial Arts Workout A this evening. I had a rough night last night, so I skipped the normal morning routine. It felt good to be awake and ready to practice this evening.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
1-15-2008 - Practice Entry

I worked my normal weight lifting workout this evening. I'm getting some good results from this program. I've put on a lot of muscle mass and I'm feeling stronger then I have in a long time.

I would just like to point out that this journal has been going on for one year right now. I'm going to reinvent it soon in order to give it new meaning.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
1-16-2008 - Practice Entry

Worked out today in the pm. Its been hard to get up because my wife and I have been doing lots of talking and planning in the evenings. Going to really try and get up tomorrow, so off to bed early for me. Anyway, Martial Arts Workout B today. Weights in the morning...

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
1-17-2008 - Practice Entry

Well, todays the day. I interview for the youth director position at my church. Part of the package is the martial arts program. I know everyone there really likes me and they respect what I do. So, I think that I'm a good candidate. We'll see what happens. I worked my weight program this morning and it gave me time to think about a great many things.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
1-23-2007 - A New Direction for this Journal

I've been thinking about a new direction for this journal for some time. I work out regularly and reporting on that has gotten really mundane. I'm really proud that I kept this journal going for a year because it gives me a great idea of just how much I've been working on TSD, yet I think a change needs to be made.

With that being said, I'm going to make journal entries not neccessarily on a regular basis. These entries are going to be less classified and hopefully a little more meaningful. So, if you have been reading, be prepared for a little shake up.

Anyway, regarding my practice, its been tough lately. I have plenty of time to practice on my own, but my teaching has pretty muched ceased. I have been unable to find the right place. Everywhere I look either doesn't suit our needs or is too expensive. I don't want to rent a place if I'm not going to be teaching more then once or twice a week.

So, what do I do?

My stop gap solution is to start doing private lessons at my house. My back room is my workout room anyway, so I can handle one to two people at various times during the week. The only problem is that there are more distractions with my family. So we'll see how that goes.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
1-28-2008 - A step on the journey...

I don't know why I've been so afraid. I'm looking at some major life changes in the future and part of me wants to hold onto what I have and part of me wants to move onto something new. All of this personal stuff hasn't affected my personal training. I keep practicing everyday like usual, but it takes the impetus out of my search to find a new home for my dojang. I just don't know what is going to happen.

I need to meet with my senior students and explain whats going on. I'm sure we could figure out something to make sure the tradition carries on. I've got a lot of good ideas and they've had a lot of good tangsoodo training. I really want to see people continue that even if I'm not going to be there.

The good news is that I've got a student who I am grooming to teach in my absence. I think that he'll do fine as long as I can establish some place for him to teach. My idea is to do something at one of the colleges in town. One of my students is a professor and another is a student. I'm sure we could get a club going easily.

Its going to take some time for me to wade through all of this and I'm not sure what Superior Tangsoodo is going to look like afterward, but I'm pretty sure its going to survive. Heck, we may even have to trifurcate this forum in order to make room for all of the people under my teacher's lineage.

Interesting times...

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
2-3-2007 - Starting up...

Been working out regularly on my own. Just hung my heavy bag and makiwara back in my basement after a cleaned it out. Spent a good hour checking things out in the new space. Low ceiling, so mostly handwork and no fancy kicks.

Thursday, I'll be going up to a local college to look at starting a club where my brother is going to school. This could be it!

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
2-10-2008 - One cold day in February...

Well, it looks like I may very well be moving. I'm not sure what this means for Superior TSD. Perhaps one of my students will take over, perhaps not. I do know that where ever I end up, I'll continue teaching. Which begs the question, how will I continue teaching? Will I open up a studio again? Will I just start a club or wil I just do private lessons? My inclination is to try and start up a school again. I have all of the resources and I have all of the equipment that I would need. Further, I have an awesome curriculum that I am very excited about. The new thread in this forum is full of all my thoughts regarding this. Decisions, decisions.

As far as my training goes, I'm working hard as ever. Getting up in the morning has been a challenge, but I'm still getting my workouts in at some point during the day. I have been doing private lessons for my students in order to keep them interested, so that is always an extra workout. Anyway, all of this has been an interesting time. I'm working through some major life changes, so we'll just have to see what happens.

Sooner or later, I'm going to have to have an uncomfortable discussion with my teacher regarding my third dan test. I'm afraid of what he will say...

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
2-28-2008 - General Training Update

I'm keeping up well on my training despite the transition that is developing in my life. I'm working out six days a week. Three days are kata, kicking sequences, bunkai and weapons. The other three days are weights, hitting the heavy bag and working the makiwara. I'm making a lot of progress towards some good condition and I feel good about that.

I do a couple of private lessons a week as far as teaching goes and I think I'm going to keep it like that until I move. I wish I could do more, but I don't want to start something I can't finish. Now, I'm just trying to finish something I started.

If this move plays out like I think it will, I will have so many more opportunities to train then I ever had up here. One of them that I'm very interested in is Relson Gracies Jui Jutsu academy. One of his brown belts offered to introduce me and get me enrolled, so I have an in...an in with a BJJ legend. That's amazing.

We'll just have to see what happens...

Errant108

Purple Belt
Reaction score
While you're in HI, try and stop in to Hee Il Cho's Dojang. Ask for Jasmine & tell her I sent you.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
3-12-2008 - Back Again...

Well, I done it again. My back issues are back with a vengeance. Took the day off of work to get off my feet and hopefully let this get better. Got a trip to the chiropractor planned. I'm not sure what to do. It seems that every month or so, this thing flares up and makes my life hell. I wish that I could just train and be fine like everyone else.

I'm not sure what this is going to mean for future training plans. I want to find some cool places in Honolulu to train, but I'm very skeptical that my back will allow much more then a cursory tour through the art. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to try. Heck yeah, I'm going to try, but I know myself and I push myself and somehow I need to reconcile the fact that body is going to rebel against me.

I don't know how to do this. I shouldn't have to think about this, I'm only 31. I wish there was a magic pill to just make this go away.

All in all, this is turning out to be a huge test of my character. I'm learning that my passions border on obsession and that their is this little mean and selfish peice of me that refuses to be restrained even by common sense. I need to think about that peice and figure out what to do with it.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
3-31-2008 - Opportunities

Check this out...

http://www.onzuka.com/oahu.html

This changes so much about how I'm thinking about my martial arts training. I can't see myself focusing on teaching in an environment that is so saturated with martial arts. I think I might need to really focus on being a student rather then a teacher. Maybe I'll teach some private lessons to friends or teach a class at the YMCA or something like that. I don't know.

The bottom line is this, I don't know if I have the time to compete at that level for students. Not without a captive audience. I'm going to HI for grad school, this is my priority. Training is going to happen, but its not my highest priority.

Looks like I'm going to keep my options open and see where it all goes. I'm still committed to TSD, but I think I need to use this opportunity to expand my knowledge. I've lived for far too long in an area where they just did not have any options...

Latest Discussions