Update on the dual-boot new system.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just have to say the old gal is running like a thoroughbred. Of course if I had waited a week or two I could have gotten the faster processor for just a few dollars more than what I did buy, but I knew that was going to happen anyway.

Went ahead and tried the Edubuntu version of Linux and just too keep things nice and clean between Windoze and Linux I dropped in another little 80Gig Hard Drive just for the Linux install. Windows really hates not being the only option and has really intensified my desire to dump it 100%. The only problem is that I use some of the upper end software from Adobe and Corel and cannot find a version ported to Linux. Anybody know of a good VM or emulator out there? (being a cheap bugger, I want to use the versions I already have and not lay out the cha-ching for new ones you know.)

So far so great!! I went with Edubuntu because it comes with a bunch of educational things for the Ruffians, and has a really easy interface for them (and me.) My 4 and 5 year olds took to it like a fat guy to a Baskin-Robbins convention. The 7 year old likes it a lot so far and the 9 year old just wants me to dump Windows totally off their machine and put Edubuntu on it. That happens tomorrow! Plus the oldest one is excited about learning a different system than everybody else he knows. He has always marched to his own drummer, and it looks like computers will just follow that path as well. He likes to do things differently and when it comes right down to it, I think it gives him a big ego boost to show all his friends he knows something they don't, and then gets to be the little Professor teaching them.:ultracool:surfer:

I can say it is nowhere near the resource hog that Bill's porcine little bit of code is though. Even though Windows does move right along on dual-core 64 bit processing and a few Gig in RAM, it is a hog compared to what Linux does on the exact system. This thing flys. :)

LuzRD

Black Belt
Reaction score
nice choice. im almost ready to ditch M$ myself. just waiting on the rest of my parts to come in for the new system.
i downloaded freebsd yesterday and i just cant wait to get it up and stable!

windows is just silly resource-wise compared to somthing unix based (but M$ was more interested in pretty, and it sure is pretty lol (of course ive seen plenty of unix based systems that looked amazing and would run circles around winblows))

do you need the programs to be name brand? or are you looking for performance? i dont know of anything off hand, but theres got to be somthing similar to adobe and corel out there hiding somwhere (it seems silly that someone would neglect such large companies popular software to make a freeware vs).

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I didn't know about edubuntu. I'll have to check that out for my own rugrats.

Shicomm

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would love to have some of the machines at work run a linux distri instead of some worse versions of McMickeys...
But even on my testmachines i ran in just too much trouble ...
It seems that various FAT's can mess up some distri's quite bad...

I still use knoppix once in a while ; it's really nice and can do a ton of things :)
The dvd version is by far my favourite as it had more toys to play with :D

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
I keep telling myself that I'll dump Windows with every new machine I build. Of course, I don't because flipping back and forth for gaming ends up being an annoyance. :(

(No, WINE and Cedega don't count, as the stability is questionable at best)

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I ran a dual boot system for about 4 years using RedHat 7.0 and 9.0. It ran fairly well. I upgraded to Fedora 7 and have not been able to get it to dual boot since. I've tried just about everything for it...

you know, I don't miss Windows all that much :) There are a few things that won't work properly without windows, but overall, I get along just fine. I do wish I could get both to work, especially since they are both still installed and I have some important stuff on the Windows partition, but if I had to make a choice, I'd choose Linux any day!