up coming tkd events in michigan?

EmperorOfKentukki

Green Belt
Reaction score
When you say, "teaching martial arts does not qualify you to be called a Professor," that is your personal opinion and should be stated as such.

Actually....it is an opinion shared by all of the 'accredited' academic world.

Would you let 'Dr. Dre' perform surgery on you?

Chief Master
What tribe? If you have 'Chief Masters'....do you have 'Chief Petty Masters'? In Asia, name are listed in reverse order....so if you are overseas do you get mistaken for a 'Master Chef'?

Do you not see how silly some of these titles can seem to others?

What does a 9th Dan call himself?
What I want to know is what does his wife call him. Or his kids. Or his mother. Or his employer? Or the cop who wrote him a ticket?

The titles we are seeing used by martial artist today are 'smoke and mirror' and 'spin' marketing tactics used to create an 'illusion' of authenticity and respectability that, sadly, is often not backed up nor borne out in the education, experience and practice of the individual. Take the usage, 'Supreme Grandmaster'. This is an oxymoron. The worst example of this exhaltatory title manufacture I've encountered was 'Eternal Supreme Grandmaster'. It is this weakness of ethics in the field that has led us to having people add up their various Dan ranks to achieve one that is just plain rediculous. Example in point, a Louisville TKD instructor that advertised himself as a 17th Degree Black Belt.

And that is why I became the Emperor of Kentukki. I don't need any other title. Titles are what I give away to others. LOL!

The Emperor

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually....it is an opinion shared by all of the 'accredited' academic world.
I really don't believe you can speak for "all" of the 'accredited' academic world. I am certain that many people of higher education have an open mind, and realize that titles serve a legitimate purpose, and that the title of "professor," by definition, can be extended to many fields beyond the limited context of which most people are familiar.

There are those who have over-inflated egos, and take titles to mean something they are not. There are those who take titles with a grain of salt, and don't care to use them. To each their own, but my point is that fellow Martial Artists should at least have respect for those who use the titles for a specific purpose within their organizations rank structure. Those "professors of Taekwondo" in the U.S. Chung Do Kwan are not claiming that the title is anything more than a step between a junior ranking instructor, and a senior ranking instructor.

Would you let 'Dr. Dre' perform surgery on you?
We're not talking about surgery here, and I believe that there are just as many highly qualified professionals in each field who use titles, as those who misuse them. If a "Professor of Taekwondo" is qualified to teach other Master Instructors under the auspices of their organization, then it is an appropriate use of the term, in my opinion.

What tribe?
Actually, I am part Cherokee, but once again, this strays from the original topic, and intended definition of the term "professor" or even "Chief" in this case.

If you have 'Chief Masters'....do you have 'Chief Petty Masters'?
No, we don't. We also do not have emperors or chief emperors, and we are not "petty" enough to belittle the titles of other Martial Artists if they are presented seriously, and have a legitimate meaning.

In Asia, name are listed in reverse order....so if you are overseas do you get mistaken for a 'Master Chef'?
No. When I was in Korea, I was merely addressed as Eisenhart Sabeom. They were not confused, nor was I.

Do you not see how silly some of these titles can seem to others?
Of Course I do. Your examples are really quite unnecessary, and rather off point. You are not presenting any concepts, or enlightening me to anything that I have not already encountered in the forty-one years that I have been studying the Martial Art. Many people find aspects of the Martial Art to be "silly" and often ridicule what they do not understand (the "pajama" dobok, the weird stances, the silly "kiyaaaa!").

I am well aware of these viewpoints from ignorant non-Martial Artists, however I would expect a high ranking Black Belt to show more insight, courtesy, and respect than to denounce the use of a particular title simply because it is more often used in a different context. After all, it is just a word. . . a word, like any other word, that only has meaning when it is used in a sentence. In this case, the use of "professor" has absolutely nothing to do with a title for a college teacher.

What I want to know is what does his wife call him. Or his kids. Or his mother. Or his employer? Or the cop who wrote him a ticket?
I am sure you could ask each of them, although I don't know why you say you "want to know" these things. I can only speak for myself, but my wife and kids call me by my title when we are at work (in the dojang). At home, my kids call me dad, and I won't say what my wife calls me (especially when I spend so much time on this computer). My mother is dead, but she used to call me by my first name. I am self-employed, so there is no employer, and I haven't had a ticket in more than twenty years, although most of the cops just call me "sir" like they do most of the male citizens they pull over.

The titles... are 'smoke and mirror' and 'spin' marketing tactics... an 'illusion' of authenticity and respectability... sadly, is often not backed up nor borne out in the education, experience and practice... 'Supreme Grandmaster'... is an oxymoron.... this exhaltatory title... 'Eternal Supreme Grandmaster'... this weakness of ethics in the field... add up their various Dan ranks to achieve one that is just plain rediculous... a Louisville TKD instructor... a 17th Degree Black Belt.
Yes, many threads here on MT have dealt with the widespread abuse, and misuse of ranks and titles. I am one who believes that the buffoons who use titles they have not earned, and do not deserve, should not diminish the respect for those who do.

And that is why I became the Emperor of Kentukki. I don't need any other title. Titles are what I give away to others. LOL!
To each their own.

I have received titles and promotions in many fields (Boy Scouts, U.S. Army, Law Enforcement, Security Industry, Red Cross First-Aid, and the Martial Art), but I have never claimed one that was not presented to me by someone of higher skill, and position within the appropriate organization. They are nice little pats on the back, " 'at-a-boys," incentives, positive reinforcements - - if not for the person who receives it, then for others who see it, and are motivated to strive for higher achievements.

Also, I do not "give away" titles to others. If a student has worked hard, acted honorably, and earned recognition for their advanced education, I am honored to be able to present them with the humble award in recognition of their efforts and accomplishments.

Sincerely,
CM D.J. Eisenhart

EmperorOfKentukki

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have to credit Mr. Eisenhart. He sticks to his guns and does so in a cogent debate. Yes...I obviously touched on a sore spot....but it could be sore for a variety of reasons first and foremost may simply be irritation at defending the position repeatedly (something I've experienced myself on occasion). So salute to you.

I do want to relate an interesting story about GM Hwang Kee that I think is germaine to this discussion. This story was related to me by Dan Segarra, operator of Warrior Scholar.

During a seminar many years ago, Mr. Segarra approached GM Hwang Kee and asked him why he didn't have an embroidered belt like all the other Masters in attendance (It is common practice for the Dans to have their name embroidered in Hangul on their belts). After his question was translated, Hwang Kee chuckled and spoke briefly. The translator turned to Mr. Segarra and stated, "Grandmaster says, "No need. I already know who I am."

John Hancock
(and I'm still the Emperor of Kentukki)

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Eisenhart.
I see you do have some appreciation for titles: "Mr."

American Heritage Dictionary: "Mr. 1. Mister. Used as a courtesy title before the surname or full name of a man. [Middle English, abbreviation of maister, master. See MASTER]"

Titles, titles everywhere! Pick and choose the ones you like. :)

I have to credit Mr. Eisenhart. He sticks to his guns and does so in a cogent debate.... So salute to you.
Thank you for the compliment.

During a seminar many years ago, Mr. Segarra approached GM Hwang Kee and asked him why he didn't have an embroidered belt like all the other Masters in attendance... "Grandmaster says, "No need. I already know who I am."

Humor is indeed appreciated in the Martial Art from time to time. I have read your reference to this story in another thread. I have my name on my coffee cup. Not because I do not know who I am, but so others know whose cup it is. If a police officer stops me (as you mentioned earlier), and asks for my I.D., I suppose I could say, "why do I need any identification, I already know who I am." I doubt that the humor will prevent a ticket.

When I was in the Army, they had my name sewn on all of my uniforms. I suppose I could have ripped it off, and told the Drill Instructors, "I already know who I am." Hmmmm.... Somehow I don't remember them having a sense of humor. Amusing anecdote about the belt, but hardly a valid argument against titles, or even the use of embroidered belts among Instructors.

Yes...I obviously touched on a sore spot
Not sore, at all. I felt there was an inappropriate and repeated focus on a respected individual's credentials, so I addressed it. You joined in and furthered the discussion down this path, with an opinion that you have expressed repeatedly in other threads. I commend you for "sticking to your guns," however, this thread was about "Michigan events." It went off topic with challenges over GM Sell's tournaments, and Professor Covert's title. It would have been more proper to take such comments to a new thread, or even back to the on-going discussions in "the Great Debate" section.

I have made it worse by continuing to address the comments here, therefore, I shall cease, and I suggest any further discussion off the original topic of "Michigan Events" be taken elsewhere."

Thank you! :)
Last Fearner

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As stated previously, my Instructor is 9th Dan accredited by the Kukkiwon/WTF. He talked once about how to address him, and how he addresses himself. His simple reply: I am a Senior Instructor in the Art of Tae Kwon Do.
One of the worst problems facing Tae Kwon Do is rank and ego inflation. Master Instructors who refer to themselves, because they happen to teach a martial art, as "Professor" or "Supreme Grandmaster" or "Chief Grandmaster". You get the idea.
I am not inferring that this Mr. Covert is not whatever rank he claims to be. I am saying that referring to yourself as "Professor" simply because you hold a high rank in Tae Kwon Do or any martial art is ego inflation that degrades the honorable title of "Professor". Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking are Professors and served with distinction in academia. Mr. Covert is a senior Tae Kwon Do Instructor, no more no less.

EmperorOfKentukki

Green Belt
Reaction score
I tend to agree with TraditionalTKD. When students ask how to address me...I tell them to simply call me 'Teacher'. If they like using Korean...I them them 'Sabomnim' is acceptable. I begrudgingly accept when I'm referred to as 'Master'...but I try to discourage that title usage. The term may be common here in the West...but it really isn't an accurate translation.

Humoursly....I've told the students of my Korean friend they can call me "Haloboji". Mr. Kim got the giggles when he heard that.

But of course...I also respond to "Your Majesty".

The Emperor (LOL)

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the info AofG.

I clicked on Michigan and there is a tournament in Inkster (a Detroit suburb) this weekend:

10/14/2006Spirit of Detroit Karate Classic Championships [SIZE=-1](Inkster, MI)
Professor Delford Fort (313) 363-4338 or [email protected][/SIZE]

I dont' know Professor Fort, but am wishing his event is successful.

Since this is a thread on Michigan events, am copying an email received from Master Paul Rose concerning the KTAA National Championships:

<<Hi everyone!

We are looking forward to hopefully seeing everyone at the KTAA
Championships this weekend!
We are expecting many in and out of state schools in attendance. We also have a team from Great Britain confirmed and possibly a team from Canada. This should be another exciting, safe tournament like years past.
If you have any questions or need additional information email me or call
the school at (734)728-3027.
Paul Rose>>

Miles

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Our organization will be holding its annual tournament this month in Jackson. One of the things I am excited about is this year we are incorporating Team Forms Competition, a la the Hanmadang. Eventually we will incorporate more and more Hanmadang-style events (self defence, creative routines, TKD dance, breaking) as our Instructors get experience judging them. As we send people to Korea to observe and participate in the Hanmadang, we will be more able to do this.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
TraditionalTKD,

Please post the date/location of your tournament. This is the right thread for it!

Miles