United Nations proves its worthlessness... again...

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The UN has done a lot of bone-headed things recently, but their latest actions give me even more reasons why the organization is all but irrelevant:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/04/29/elects-iran-commission-womens-rights/

EXCLUSIVE: U.N. Elects Iran to Commission on Women's Rights

By Joseph Abrams
- FOXNews.com

NEW YORK — Without fanfare, the United Nations this week elected Iran to its Commission on the Status of Women, handing a four-year seat on the influential human rights body to a theocratic state in which stoning is enshrined in law and lashings are required for women judged "immodest."

This is repulsive, to say the least. This is akin to leaving the fox in charge of the chicken coop.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Agreed, but they got the most votes, so what are you going to do? Whatever.
BTW, the UN is mismanged, blotted and has tonnes of problems but it does do an amazing amount of good work in the world. If we didn't have the UN, we would have to invent an organization like it.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe they can select the Saudi's to head the Alternate Energy commission, Mexico the Law & Order committee, and the Chinese the "Workers Safety" commission?

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Agreed, but they got the most votes, so what are you going to do? Whatever.
BTW, the UN is mismanged, blotted and has tonnes of problems but it does do an amazing amount of good work in the world. If we didn't have the UN, we would have to invent an organization like it.

What good has the UN done for the United States in say the last ten years?

We fund more then any other country, and get nothing but problems from it....The United Nations is a farce, and needs to be extinguished from the planet.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What good has the UN done for the United States in say the last ten years?

We fund more then any other country, and get nothing but problems from it....The United Nations is a farce, and needs to be extinguished from the planet.

In the beginning the UN only ever had one main task, to prevent a third world war. Everything else was secondary. After coming out of WW2 and with the nuclear arms race on the horizon, it’s no wonder that was the reasoning behind it. I haven’t seen a third world war, so, so far so good.

The UN does not give a **** about civil wars, not its mandate; you can do what the hell you want inside your own country basically.

The UN is democratic, states nominate and vote on others for various positions, hence the nut bars get elected sometimes. Backroom politics is at work heavily, just like the USA and every other democracy. Does it need reformed? ****ing right it does, the west should perhaps do a few more things independently too.

Do you really think that your political leaders, Rep and Dem are that stupid that they would keep funding an organization that was “useless”? What do you want the US to “get out of it”?

The yearly operating budget for the UN is $2 billion dollars, the US contributes about $449 billion of that. This does not include security forces around the world and some other groups through the UN.

They UN has helped eradicate disease worldwide (WHO), hunger (WFP), they have educated the masses, provided fresh water, they have been the go to group for civil aviation, maritime issues, the IMF, tonnes of organizations that have done more good in the past 50 years around the world then anyone, any country or any organization has done in world history.

Kicking the **** out of small pox and polio kinda count for something in my books too.

Last edited:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The yearly operating budget for the UN is $2 billion dollars, the US contributes about $449 billion of that.

Ken,

I think there is a unit issue or number issue in the above sentence. Could you clarify for me. I am not selling nor buying only confused at this point.

Thanks

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ken,

I think there is a unit issue or number issue in the above sentence. Could you clarify for me. I am not selling nor buying only confused at this point.

Thanks

Going from memory....sorry.

The $2 Billion is the operating budget of the structure, that does not include peace keeping soldiers around the world, the WHO, and other such agencies. So in reality the cost is higher, depending on what you want to do. It's all voluntary, no one is complelled to be apart of the UN or contribute.

The US pays 22% of the operating budget of the UN, Japan I think is next at 17%, Germany and the UK 7% each, Canada is about 3%...etc...etc...

I know one of the things both Canada and the US do is buy up thousands of tonnes of wheat from our own farmers and send it over seas are part of our UN contribution. Much of Canadian foreign aid has conditions on it generally a high percentage of teh money must be spent in Canada, I'm sure the US is the same.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
In the beginning the UN only ever had one main task, to prevent a third world war. Everything else was secondary. After coming out of WW2 and with the nuclear arms race on the horizon, it’s no wonder that was the reasoning behind it. I haven’t seen a third world war, so, so far so good.

The UN does not give a **** about civil wars, not its mandate; you can do what the hell you want inside your own country basically.

The UN is democratic, states nominate and vote on others for various positions, hence the nut bars get elected sometimes. Backroom politics is at work heavily, just like the USA and every other democracy. Does it need (to be) reformed? ****ing right it does

No. It does not. It needs to be torn down, burned to the ground, it's ashes mixed with garlic and scattered into running water at sunrise.

JDenver

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, the US currently owes the UN something in the vicinity of $1 Billion in overdue payments.

Starve the organization, then declare that it is useless? That hardly seems fair.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Going from memory....sorry.

The $2 Billion is the operating budget of the structure, that does not include peace keeping soldiers around the world, the WHO, and other such agencies. So in reality the cost is higher, depending on what you want to do. It's all voluntary, no one is complelled to be apart of the UN or contribute.

The US pays 22% of the operating budget of the UN, Japan I think is next at 17%, Germany and the UK 7% each, Canada is about 3%...etc...etc...

I know one of the things both Canada and the US do is buy up thousands of tonnes of wheat from our own farmers and send it over seas are part of our UN contribution. Much of Canadian foreign aid has conditions on it generally a high percentage of teh money must be spent in Canada, I'm sure the US is the same.

so 22% of $2 billion would be $440,000,000 or $440 Million. So, your initial post of $2 Billion operating budget and US contribution os $449 Billion should have read $449 Million. Now it makes sense to me thanks.

Latest Discussions