Unarmed Florida Teen Shot

Hmmm...it doesn't address the fact that race memory being what it is, african americans vote for the same political party that conducted those lynchings and protected the people that did it. The same political party that wanted slavery and the slave trade and then brutalized and killed african americans to keep them from excercising their rights as United States citizens. They vote against the political party that freed the slaves, whatever may be believed about the start of the civil war, and fought to protect their rights as newly freed people. Hmmmm...where is the "race memory" for that?

And now, a slight diversion from the Lovely and talented Ann Coulter...

http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2012-04-18.html

Liberals have leapt on the shooting death of Trayvon Martin in Florida to push for the repeal of "stand your ground" laws and to demand tighter gun control. (MSNBC'S Karen Finney blamed "the same people who stymied gun regulation at every point.")

Apparently this has occurred to no one because our excellent public education system ensures that no American under the age of 60 has the slightest notion of this country's history.

Gun control laws were originally promulgated by Democrats to keep guns out of the hands of blacks. This allowed the Democratic policy of slavery to proceed with fewer bumps and, after the Civil War, allowed the Democratic Ku Klux Klan to menace and murder black Americans with little resistance.

(Contrary to what illiterates believe, the KKK was an outgrowth of the Democratic Party, with overlapping membership rolls. The Klan was to the Democrats what the American Civil Liberties Union is today: Not every Democrat is an ACLU'er, but every ACLU'er is a Democrat. Same with the Klan.)

In 1640, the very first gun control law ever enacted on these shores was passed in Virginia. It provided that blacks -- even freemen -- could not own guns.

Chief Justice Roger Taney's infamous opinion in Dred Scott v. Sandford circularly argued that blacks could not be citizens because if they were citizens, they would have the right to own guns: "t would give them the full liberty," he said, "to keep and carry arms wherever they went."

With logic like that, Republicans eventually had to fight a Civil War to get the Democrats to give up slavery.

Alas, they were Democrats, so they cheated.

After the war, Democratic legislatures enacted "Black Codes," denying black Americans the rights of citizenship -- such as the rather crucial one of bearing arms -- while other Democrats (sometimes the same Democrats) founded the Ku Klux Klan.

For more than a hundred years, Republicans have aggressively supported arming blacks, so they could defend themselves against Democrats.

The original draft of the Anti-Klan Act of 1871 -- passed at the urging of Republican president Ulysses S. Grant -- made it a federal felony to "deprive any citizen of the United States of any arms or weapons he may have in his house or possession for the defense of his person, family, or property." This section was deleted from the final bill only because it was deemed both beyond Congress' authority and superfluous, inasmuch as the rights of citizenship included the right to bear arms.

Not sure what Black Americans and the Democratic Party (purged 30+ years ago of its Dixiecrats and Southern strategists) have to do with this particular subject.

I think beyond Martin this shows a lack of respect in general by kids towards adults. 50 years ago kids were taught to respect adults. Now they are taught that nobody has the right to speak to them. They dont need to lisren to anyone. They are abusive to teachers, police, even their own parents. I get cussed at and yell at more by teenagers then i ever do by adults. Its sad because i dont see it getting better.

Agreed! Of course, I think alot of it has to do with the way things are. When I was a kid and I talked back, misbehaved, etc, I'd get a whack or two on the ***. That wasn't child abuse, it was discipline. Fastforward to today. Do that same thing, and you'll have every jackass within 30ft of you, on their cell phones, calling the cops, reporting child abuse. Go figure. Hell, nowadays, the kids themselves will threaten to call the cops. I dont know if this has happened to you where you work, but there've been numerous times, when I've taken calls from parents who call to say their kids aren't listening to them. So they (the parents), call the cops in hopes that they'll scare the kids into behaving.

Yup, its a sad situation.

I just deleted a rather long involved response to this nonsense. Let me put it more simply. You want to hate, hate. You think others hate you because of your skin color, maybe they do and maybe they don't. But you'll never know who is whom because you're locked in your little box of anger at everyone else's presumed racism. I don't have time in my life for people who think everything that happens in the world is because someone doesn't like the color of their skin. I'm tired of victims who apparently want or need to be victims.

I learned ... during the L.A. riots ... what racism really is.

Martial Law had been declared and supermarkets were all but out of food, no deliveries were being made to grocery stores in the larger L.A. area. My first husband and I were renting a home with prolific citrus trees in the backyard. We decided to harvest them and bring the fruit to the city from northern Orange County.

We reached a span of highway where we were the only vehicle on the road. We passed a couple of five-and-dimes and liquor marts where we had once purchased comic books and bubble gum. Suddenly, calmly, a wave of black people flowed onto the street, watching us approach. We stopped, not knowing what to do. We got out of the car and pulled out a box of fruit - they started yelling and walking towards us. We quickly got the rest out and left it on the street, climbed back in and spun around to retreat. By that time, some people were running towards us throwing things. One guy took some of the oranges and threw them after us and another chased us for a short while.

Raised in a mixed culture in Christian schools, I blindly swallowed the equality notion hook, line and sinker. Still feel strongly that we are all the same - to the extent where my gay and lesbian friends are oft disappointed when they come out to me and I barely react at all.

But THAT DAY - I knew what it was like to be white. And I will never forget that. I can only judge to the extent that the fight needs to be fought upon the right people. I did not hang black people, I did not beat Rodney King, I did not steal native american land, I did not gay-bash a teenage boy, I did not rape women wearing tight jeans ... I have not done any of these things and for anyone to attack me because some other ignorant, hating assh*le did only perpetuates the hate already seeded by others.

I will not, however, try to rob others of their history and culture nor their ongoing and well-founded fear. After all - one would think we are over the race thing ... but we oh-so-obviously are not.

Remember: just because YOU might not be racist doesn't mean your neighbor is also not racist, that young black men are not killed just for being young black men. Please also remember that not every white person is guilty nor should fall victim to racism as well.

I will never forget being beaten to a pulp, threatened with my life. But I won't hold mothers responsible for my victimization, nor my husband for accountable for what my ex did.

Onward.

Well said, shesulsa. I think we share a similar outlook.

My first experience with racism was in the early 1970's in northern California. I was one of a handful of Black children bussed to a predominantly White school during the Bussing Experiment. Only being 7 years old, I did not and could not fully appreciate what it meant, not just to be called ni**er, but called that word (and others) with hostility and violence. I was certainly forewarned by my father, but could never have appreciated how pervasive that kind of sentiment would be. It wasn't all kids and parents, but it was about 60/40 against my and other Black kids' presence at that school. It was an experience that no child of any color should ever have. Not in the America that we are all so proud of.

Like hundreds of millions of others with that kind of experience, it does not affect my ability to honor, respect and love my fellow man regardless of his or her race, ethnicity or color. If anything, that kind of life experience taught me that human goodness knows no race, ethnicity or color. Yet like other American minorities, it is an ingrained part of my culture to maintain an awareness and caution of racism and bigotry. No, it isn't lurking behind every tree or dwelling in every other person. It's something that exists like crime exists; like sexism exists; or other "isms" that affect our society. Many or most are committed to fighting it. Some are indifferent. And a small few still either practice it, deny its existence, or both.

When we acknowledge racial bigotry and fight it together, we are a better society for it.

Not saying it is racism -what I'm saying is it's culturally imprinted on black people to see it that way, based on past events.

If you don't see it through that lens, it's because you weren't issued "black goggles." :lol:

"True" or not, that's the way most people are going to see it-they can't help it, circumstances being what they are: the kid wasn't robbing anyone, wasn't armed, wasn't where he wasn't supposed to be. It looks-without knowing all the other facts-like the kid was shot for being a ****** on the sidewalk on a rainy evening, and the police didn't do anything about it.

Well I see what your saying I dont agree totally I think the older generation thinks this way. I dont believe the younger generation knows very much at all about the history of slavery or racism. Hell I dont think the younger generation even knows who the vice president is. Thats not just young black generation thats young people in general. I think they care less about there history and more about what the newest music star tweets. They become "outraged" because they are told to by the tweet they need to be.

Agreed! Of course, I think alot of it has to do with the way things are. When I was a kid and I talked back, misbehaved, etc, I'd get a whack or two on the ***. That wasn't child abuse, it was discipline. Fastforward to today. Do that same thing, and you'll have every jackass within 30ft of you, on their cell phones, calling the cops, reporting child abuse. Go figure. Hell, nowadays, the kids themselves will threaten to call the cops. I dont know if this has happened to you where you work, but there've been numerous times, when I've taken calls from parents who call to say their kids aren't listening to them. So they (the parents), call the cops in hopes that they'll scare the kids into behaving.

Yup, its a sad situation.

Last time I got sent to a call where the kid called because the parent spanked him I told the parent to spank them again and then told the kid it wasnt abuse and walked out.

Ive also been called by parents because the kid wont go to bed or get up for school or turn off the TV ect. Its pretty sad.

George Zimmerman pled indigence last week at his bond hearing, but it appears that he actually had about $200,000 in a Paypal account.

The fact that GZ "misled" the Court about his financial means, goes to his credibility. Or lack thereof. It also calls into question Mr. O'Mara's failure to verify his client's financial condition.

SANFORD -- George Zimmerman declared himself indigent at a bond hearing last week, but now his attorney says he raised more than $200,000 from donations from the public.Attorney Mark O’Mara told CNN’s Anderson Cooper that he will disclose that Friday to Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester.

George Zimmerman pled indigence last week at his bond hearing, but it appears that he actually had about $200,000 in a Paypal account.

The fact that GZ "misled" the Court about his financial means, goes to his credibility. Or lack thereof. It also calls into question Mr. O'Mara's failure to verify his client's financial condition.

According to the article, at the time of the bond hearing there was $150,000 in the account, not the $200,000 that you claim. Also according to the article to which you linked, it appears neither the judge, prosecution, nor the defense are quite sure if this money is actually available to the defense.

Again from the article, "I’m not certain he thought they were available to him, because even after bond was granted, it was the family trying to come up with enough money for the bond. If they thought they had full easy access to it, they simply could have used that." -Mark O’Mara

According to the article, at the time of the bond hearing there was $150,000 in the account, not the $200,000 that you claim. Also according to the article to which you linked, it appears neither the judge, prosecution, nor the defense are quite sure if this money is actually available to the defense.

Again from the article, "I’m not certain he thought they were available to him, because even after bond was granted, it was the family trying to come up with enough money for the bond. If they thought they had full easy access to it, they simply could have used that." -Mark O’Mara

There was actually $204,000 in the account. Zimmerman was "certain" that he could spend the money, and he did. Five thousand bucks went toward bond, and the rest -- nearly $50,000 toward "living expenses". The judge in this case is allowing him to keep the $150K for now, and will decide what if anything he can order as to its disposition.

Practically speaking, it's Zimmerman's money. He can do with it what he sees fit. But claiming to be indigent, while he knew that he had ready access to nearly a quarter million dollars--and then proceeding to spend it without seeking legal advice--calls his (and his family's) honesty into question.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/27/justice/florida-zimmerman-money/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...h-hate-crime-charge-in-trayvon-martin-death/1
George Zimmerman, the volunteer neighborhood watchman from Florida charged in the killing of unarmed black teen Trayvon Martin, could face federal hate crime charges, WFTV out of Orlando reports.
If Zimmerman, now charged with second-degree murder in the Feb. 26 shooting death, is convicted of a hate crime, he could face the death penalty. The Justice Department says it has been investigating all aspects of this case, including the question of hate crime charges, since earlier this year.
Update at 12:28 p.m. ET: USA TODAY's Kevin Johnson reports the Justice Department has been investigating all aspects of Trayvon's shooting since March -- from whether the Sanford police acted properly to whether hate crime charges should be brought against Zimmerman.
"The independent investigation remains ongoing, and we continue to provide support and resources to the local prosecution,'' Justice spokesman Wyn Hornbuckle said Tuesday.

The special prosecutor for the killing of Trayvon Martin has filed court documents that include a witness list and some of the evidence to be used in the second-degree murder trial of George Zimmerman.
Update at 5:52 p.m. ET: Special Prosecutor Angela Corey's office has filed documents with the Seminole County clerk that include a partial list of witnesses and evidence -- including new video -- to be used in the trial of George Zimmerman, the Orlando Sentinel reports.
Most names were redacted, but six civilians were listed, including Trayvon Martin's parents, Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin; George Zimmerman's father, Robert, and a neighbor. The document listed 18 Sanford police officers as primary witnesses.
Evidence includes new video from the night of the Feb. 26 shooting from the 7-Eleven where Trayvon purchased Skittles and Arizona iced tea, and from the clubhouse of Retreat at Twin Lakes, the apartment complex in Sanford, Fla., where he was killed.
In addition, the prosecutor lists phone records from Zmmerman, Trayvon and an unnamed witness. Also listed are Zimmerman's medical records and records of his 2005 arrest and domestic-violence injunctions.
Original post: The special prosecutor in the racially charged Trayvon Martin case is likely to hand over evidence to the defense team today for defendant George Zimmerman, 28, the Florida neighborhood watch volunteer charged in the death of the black teen, WKMG in Orlando reports.
Normally, under Florida law, discovery is made public when it is given to the defense team, according to WKMG.
But Mark O'Mara, Zimmerman's defense attorney, told WKMG the public release of the documents should be delayed to allow time for removal of witnesses names.
Zimmerman has pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder in the fatal shooting of Martin, 17, on Feb. 26. He has said he shot the unarmed teen in self-defense, WKMG reports.

Not sure what Black Americans and the Democratic Party (purged 30+ years ago of its Dixiecrats and Southern strategists) have to do with this particular subject.
As my departed wife when she was bothering a black person said You aint Black why you bother me??? how to white people who have never experienced life the last 50 years as a black person choose to speak for them what they think or feel Eat Me My wife would call Bill's authority and opinion a craker sorry it just makes me laugh

Martin's knuckles were bruised and the medical report from that night on Zimmerman was released...

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/05/15/Zimmerman-medical-report

[h=2]The medical report from George Zimmerman’s family doctor after the Trayvon Martin shooting shows that Zimmerman’s nose was broken; he also had a pair of black eyes, two lacerations on the back of his head, a bruised upper lip, and a back injury. He was examined by the doctor the day after the shooting. The three-page medical report will likely be used as evidence for the defense.[/h]Meanwhile, the Trayvon Martin autopsy shows that other than his gunshot wound, the only injury on Martin was that the skin on his knuckles was broken. Combined with the evidence from Zimmerman's medical report, the logical conclusion is that Martin was beating up Zimmerman severely before Zimmerman shot him.

As the report points out, this latest is from ABC news so it could very well not be accurate...

A March 13, 2012 Capias Request indicates ...

"The encounter between George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin was ultimately avoidable by Zimmerman, if Zimmerman had remained in his vehicle and awaited the arrival of law enforcement, or conversely if he had identified himself to Martin as a concerned citizen and initiated dialog (sic) in an effort to dispel each party's concern" the request said. "There is no indication that Trayvon Martin was involved in any criminal activity."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/17/justice/florida-teen-shooting/?hpt=us_c1

ABC NEWS said:
The autopsy also shows that Zimmerman shot Martin from a distance of between 1 inch and 18 inches away, bolstering Zimmerman's claim that he shot Martin during a close struggle.
Martin's autopsy report also revealed that there was a quarter-inch by half-inch abrasion on the left fourth finger of Martin, another indication of a possible struggle.
The teen, who lived in Miami, was in Sanford while serving a suspension for an empty marijuana bag discovered in his possession. Martin had THC, the drug found in marijuana, in his blood on the night of his death, according to the autopsy. His family told ABC News that it was "trace amounts" of THC.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/trayvon-ma...orge-zimmerman/story?id=16371852#.T7VnbsVOgk5

A March 13, 2012 Capias Request indicates ...

"..."There is no indication that Trayvon Martin was involved in any criminal activity."

That is, up until the moment he assaulted Zimmerman for following him.

Following someone isn't a crime. Following someone does not justify an assault, either.

Back