UFO's Are Back!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It would seem that something is afoot, either in the Earth Military or the Galactic Milieu :eek:.

http://www.virginmedia.com/digital/science/ufo-sightings.php

Things have been very quiet on the UFO sightings front for ages over here. The downturn in media interest seemed to coincidentally come about when the RAF actually put their 'UFO chap' on the TV. His conclusions? To paraphrase: 'There are some things we can't explain, tho' most we can. It might be aliens or it might just be physical phenomenon we don't yet understand'.

Pretty much what's been said since the '60's then :lol:. But it seemed that the public lost interest after that.

Now, they're back ... {music - Opening chords to the War of the Worlds}.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It would seem that something is afoot, either in the Earth Military or the Galactic Milieu :eek:.

http://www.virginmedia.com/digital/science/ufo-sightings.php

Things have been very quiet on the UFO sightings front for ages over here. The downturn in media interest seemed to coincidentally come about when the RAF actually put their 'UFO chap' on the TV. His conclusions? To paraphrase: 'There are some things we can't explain, tho' most we can. It might be aliens or it might just be physical phenomenon we don't yet understand'.

Pretty much what's been said since the '60's then :lol:. But it seemed that the public lost interest after that.

Now, they're back ... {music - Opening chords to the War of the Worlds}.

I prefer the opening chords to ET: The Extraterrestrial myself (always did love John Williams' music).

UFO's definitely exist... as Unidentified Flying Objects. Now whether they're spacecraft from another planet/system/galaxy still remains to be seen. Modern Physicists still insist that it's impossible to travel from the nearest Galaxy without traveling for thousands of years even at faster than light speeds.
Others say they're using the Wormhole theory to get around which shortens the time considerably between point A and B.
Some insist that we are still far too primitive to be of interest to any advanced civilization (given current technology and the rate we're progressing -- compared to if we weren't busy trying to kill each other and pollute the planet -- I'd happen to agree).

Still, as a physical phenomenon we don't yet understand ... :idunno: who knows? Only time will tell.

Myself, yes I've thrice seen odd things in the sky (2X at night 1 time in the day) and used to have a photo of something that is also on the negative and not just a photo-processing error... not to mention I saw it with my own eyes.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A most sensible outlook on the matter, Caver
icon14.gif

I wonder if there is anyone else with sightings, experiences or opinions they'd like to share?

This used to be a subject about which I knew a great deal. I spent years researching and reading every book about it I could lay my hands on.

Now I was only a teenager at the time and as easily given to enthusiasms and passions as the next 'teen :eek:. So one evening, in a (vanishingly brief) resurgence of religious zeal, I burned all my books on the subject as, apparently, they were blasphemous and leading me astray.

Aside: Is it any wonder I'm not religious these days?

That I have maintained for quite a while that, unless space travel is very quick and easy once you learn the 'knack' of it, it would be awfully odd for so many craft to visit little old Earth way out here in the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm of our distinctly average galaxy :D.

Maybe Earth is really special in some way? Or maybe we really are the descendants of a space faring people? Or maybe part of an organic computer constructed at the behest of hyper-intelligent, pan-dimensional beings?

jlhummel

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I personaly hope there is other life out there and if they are visiting us that would be great. I seems to me it would be a pretty boring universe if we are all the life there is. But as for most if not all the UFOs out there that are seen I believe most are our own or others military test vehicles and they are just out on test flights or testing stealth technologies that no one will admit to.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Beyond being boring, it would seem to me to be incredibly egotistical to assume that we are the only intelligent life in a universe the size of the one in which we live. That said, I would hope that any species intelligent enough to have space travel and all of the (presumably) concomitant technology that implies would be able to spy on us without us knowing!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Beyond being boring, it would seem to me to be incredibly egotistical to assume that we are the only intelligent life in a universe the size of the one in which we live. That said, I would hope that any species intelligent enough to have space travel and all of the (presumably) concomitant technology that implies would be able to spy on us without us knowing!
They probably are... H.G. Wells was the first to speculate on such a concept. :D

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would be shocked if there weren't some kind of other life out there given the vastness of the universe. The odds seem pretty high to me that there is life elsewhere.
As far as UFO's being alien spacecraft I go back and fourth. I can watch one documentary and it makes me a believer, and then I can watch a documentary showing all of the scams and I go back to not believing.
Either way its an interesting subject to me.

Phadrus00

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I beleive that we are not alone although I am skeptical that we ahve been visited. I subscribe to the carl Sagan (and Kacey) perspective that if we are alone then it's an awful waste of space!

There is a great article on Wikipedia abou tht eDrake Equation that attempts to analyse the likely number of civilizations that are "out there". Here is hte link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation

Enjoy!

Ps.. I am in the 50+ camp myself! *grin*

Rob

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mark, I heard something about that story on Coast to Coast AM (a radio show that covers, among other things UFOs). I'm with Kacey, and many others, on my outlook here. The law of probability alone would make it quite strange if we were all there is.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Isn't there some philosophy that given the vastness and expanse of the Universe, the near-infinite nature of the Universe eventually allows for infinite events/situations to occur.

On a microscopic (by comparison) level, the human brain can think up a multitude of situations that, while countless, is still far less than infinite.

So in our Universe, anything that a human could possibly think up is probably already occurring elsewhere because the Universe is just that big.

God exists. So does Buddah, the Pantheon, and all the dragons to ever represent anything, ever.

Heck, there's a planet out there called Middle Earth that about to war with itself as you read this...

Contrary to popular belief, Darth Vader is a just and loved leader of the Jedi.

There's a Heaven. There's a Hell... There's even the Good Ship Lollipop and Never Never Land (the address is wrong btw).

Aliens in the UK? Sure!

*Is that a Douglas Adams idea? Pratchett? I know I read this somewhere... And it made sense in a supremely comical, yet enlightening way.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu

See that's the proof right there that they're intelligent life :

None of THEM have tried to contact US.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well all I have to say in the subject is Klaatu barada nikto
Well I wish that WOULD happen... then we can stop this silly nonsense of killing each other and we can get on with being as advance as we could be if we weren't so busy being in the business of that silly nonsense of killing each other.
Because we're obviously too immature as a species to do it ourselves.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now I was only a teenager at the time and as easily given to enthusiasms and passions as the next 'teen :eek:. So one evening, in a (vanishingly brief) resurgence of religious zeal, I burned all my books on the subject as, apparently, they were blasphemous and leading me astray.

Aside: Is it any wonder I'm not religious these days?

You know that there is a very strong correlation between the observation of angels in days of yore and UFO sightings these days. Interesting isn't it?

UFOs have leaped back into public consciousness in Australia too. All this week there have been news pieces on UFOs and one of those 'horrible truth' docudramas aired last Sunday. So all our home-grown UFOs 'experts' have been trotted out to have their say. Nothing new here either.

I beleive that we are not alone although I am skeptical that we ahve been visited. I subscribe to the carl Sagan (and Kacey) perspective that if we are alone then it's an awful waste of space!

200-400 billion stars in our galaxy.
100 billion galaxies in the observable universe.
The whole thing is more than 13 billion years old.

Even if the chances of life elsewhere in the universe were 10 billion to one, that still produces about 3000 habitable systems.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know that there is a very strong correlation between the observation of angels in days of yore and UFO sightings these days. Interesting isn't it?

I'd forgotten that particular observation, ST. A related big problem I've always found with many UFO reports is that there is also a very strong correlation between one 'type' of incident being widely reported and a slew of subsequent ones. That washed over into the 'abduction' stories wherein tales would get more and more similar on details the more such things were dispersed by the media.

I'm intrigued by these latest ones in the report I linked though. Military and Police sources have that frisson of respectability that adds a degree of credability to proceedings. I may well be tempted to dig deeper on these ones and see what I can find.

kailat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Here is a theory that is going around alot. I have been hearing about this for along time now. But it goes along w/ what you guys are kinda discussing. I know many don't want to hear or believe in the NWO. But Im not 100% convinced this particular way is truth. In fact, I dont' kwow what to believe anymore or not.. But its def something to consider.. Many of you may have heard of this GREAT DESTRUCTION that is supposed to happen on 12/21/2012 ? If not well the story is in the video here. But the UFO's and sightigs and such are pretty uniquely described here. ALL PARANORMAL PHENOMENA are unexplaned and everyone has their own beliefs. All I know is something is different. And who are we to say?

PLEASE WATCH

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FjqkOEYJxdw

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Your link went wonky, Kailat.

EDIT: Ah. Fixed now
icon14.gif

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Come now.

There is so much orbiting debris around the Earth from our own space-faring efforts that it would be no surprise to see such things.

They have an entire division of NASA devoted to tracking it all for the safety of shuttle missions.

Latest Discussions