UFC: Matt Hughes claims Georges St. Pierre felt greasy

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
LOl! Just remember to wash your hands before to go to loo!

Kind of like trying to put Tiger Balm on your inner thigh to relieve a pulled hamstring...not always a great idea for guys....

But that would suck to have that rubbed in your eyes when fighting.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Back in Pride there was a very similar situation. If I remember correctly, the guy said he didn't grease up intentionally, but used lotion daily. Apparently, if you use a lot of lotion, even if it's hours before the fight (or class), when you sweat it will be very slick.

I've noticed that if I use lotion on my hands, it does feel a bit slick at class hours later during sparring.

I'm just wondering if this has to do with something other than an intentional and blatant act to grease up by GSP or his cornerman.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That rings a bell! There is some sort of lotion you rub in to lose weight and it gets into the skin then 'leaks' out some time later, I seem to remember a British fighter having complaints against him. I know where to look it up and I'll be back!

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Back in Pride there was a very similar situation. If I remember correctly, the guy said he didn't grease up intentionally, but used lotion daily. Apparently, if you use a lot of lotion, even if it's hours before the fight (or class), when you sweat it will be very slick.

I've noticed that if I use lotion on my hands, it does feel a bit slick at class hours later during sparring.

I'm just wondering if this has to do with something other than an intentional and blatant act to grease up by GSP or his cornerman.

That thought had crossed my mind as well. If you had dry skin and just put lotion on it after a shower it is absorbed into the skin and you wouldn't notice it until you got all sweaty again it would be a little more greasy.

That's the other thing, some people have more oils naturally in their skin and when they sweat feel very greasy even without doing something else.

strikesubmit

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
well...yes, alot of people see him as a douche..and for good reason (especially in more recent years).

take the rest of my post and see that i wasn't defending the guy.

but read up on some of the stuff he actually does outside of the octagon. the guy does help and contribute alot to his community.

now, i'm not a fanboy of his, but it's more that i used to admire his work ethic--working with Militich--back in the day. there was a point when he never used to make excuses for a loss.

this, however, does make him look rather silly...and will undoubtedly be added to the already long list of "Things We Hate About Matt Hughes."

Last edited:

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I honestly think Hughes was just trying to keep his name attached to a hot topic since his time in the octagon is over.

He was a great fighter, and champion but has always had an arrogant douchebag type of attitude.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
If a fighter thinks his opponent is greased up it's easy, he brings it to the attention of the ref who will check and make them wipe it off if necessay, whinging afterwards sounds like excuses. Refs job to check anyway.
Couldn't have said it better. It's a simple question just to ask and have the ref check it out. I don't like Hughes and i think he's adding unwanted drama to a good fighter's reputation.

Latest Discussions