UFC/KENPO The Giant Killer

Thanks, I will have to buy that in the next month or so.

Michael

I can't remember the Kenpo guys name but the guy he fought was Kitao a former Yokozuna Sumo wrestler.
Kitao was one of the, if not the poorest, Yokozuna to date. He "slid into" being a Yokozuna by connections he had. Usually you have to win several tournament in a row to become a Grand Champion (Yokozuna)......he didn't.
He then had a "cash flow" problem with the Yakuza and was forced to resign from Sumo, after which he became an equally poor Pro Wrestler.........and then quite.
Basically his wrestling/fighting skills are not up to snuff............he is just big. I haven't heard anything about him since his UFC fiasco.

Originally posted by RyuShiKan

I can't remember the Kenpo guys name but the guy he fought was Kitao a former Yokozuna Sumo wrestler.
Kitao was one of the, if not the poorest, Yokozuna to date. He "slid into" being a Yokozuna by connections he had. Usually you have to win several tournament in a row to become a Grand Champion (Yokozuna)......he didn't.
He then had a "cash flow" problem with the Yakuza and was forced to resign from Sumo, after which he became an equally poor Pro Wrestler.........and then quite.
Basically his wrestling/fighting skills are not up to snuff............he is just big. I haven't heard anything about him since his UFC fiasco.

Who is Kitao? We were talking about Emanuel Yarborough vs Keith Hackney. Are we talking about the same guy??:confused:

My mistake, I thought you were talking about the huge guy that got his nose smashed.................:confused:

Somewhat on topic: I have the UFC game for Gamecube, you can create a character and make him a Kenpo stylist. Moves are somewhat accurate, atleast the basic kicks.

If I recall correctly, the UFC listed Emanual Yarborough as 6'6", and 616 lbs. Though this may have been exaggerated. I also seem to recall that Ettish was listed as a Shorinji Kempo stylist. I think he came out of his corner in some kind of praying mantis stance or something and got caught with a jab cross combo real quick. He took a beating. The boxer who beat him was also 39 years old at the time, I believe.

I am not a big UFC follower, but the question I have is after the "Giant" went down why did he close in and punch, my first choice whould have been a quick side kick to the head, he had the angle, the opportunity, and would have maintained his distance, not to mention ended it right there.

Originally posted by WhiteTiger

I am not a big UFC follower, but the question I have is after the "Giant" went down why did he close in and punch, my first choice whould have been a quick side kick to the head, he had the angle, the opportunity, and would have maintained his distance, not to mention ended it right there.

The heat of battle, first time fighting in this type of match, the shock of that guy actually going down, and etc...

It's easy to judge, as the casual observer, using the third person perspective. It's a whole different world when your facing someone of that size.:shrug:

a quick side kick to the head, he had the angle, the opportunity, and would have maintained his distance, not to mention ended it right there.
Did you see how many head shots that guy took? I'm not convinced a side kick to the head would have had any effect. The only reason that fight ended was because the big guy couldn't get up. He didn't even seem fazed after the fight. And there were a lot of solid shots landed by Hackney.

I have the fight on tape. In the clip from a previous post, it looked liked KH was trying to somehow hold EY down. I thought it was kind of dumb. What KH should have done was grab EY behind the head with both his hands in a bracing fashion and applied a bunch of knee strikes to his face. This goes to show you that in the heat of the moment, you need to center yourself and calm down, rather then going head on into trouble.

I say Keith did a sterling job. It's easy to say he shoulda coulda etc but you stand in the octagon with a giant and tell me that all of your logical reasoning will come to the fore and you'll dispatch of him as well as Keith did. It would' ve scared the $h1t out of me.

Cheers
Sammy

Originally posted by sammy3170

I say Keith did a sterling jobSammy

I agree, and I think most if not all of us here will have to admit we are nowhere near prepared to compete at that level. The last thing I want anyone to think is that I could have done better.

This was the first time I saw any portion of that fight, and my comment followed my first thought, which was, why would anyone choose to get in close to that monster, when other options are available.

Back