Tattoo & Kenpo

K

Kenpolane

This may sound like a small thing in the large world of MA.
I know that tattoos or body art as some perfer, is a personal choice and a life long choice. I have entertained the thought for years and plan to have a tattoo of a Kenpo influence. I have noticed that alot of the old timers of Kenpo never did this. Would it be because of the teachings of Mr. Parker ? Or because as some have told me it's a Dumbass thing to do.:confused:

Here is an anecdote.
We had a guy at the studio start a tatoo of the "Crest" within a year of Mr. Parker's death or maybe it was within a few months of our leaving the IKKA.

I remember thinking how cool it looked when he showed us the first part, and then later how unfortunate it was that we no longer wore that patch on our gi... He was getting it done in stages so I don't know if he ever finished it.

Also, when I first started some of the Black Belts had tatoos and I always thought I'd get a Tiger and a Dragon perhaps at 1st and 4th Black respectively, but I don't think I will anymore. Part of my new reason is that Tatoos are prohibited in the Bible. So that took the rest of my enthusiasm. I don't think I want one anymore.

And, thirdly, I have met a Lot of people with a tatoo that regret that they have done it. Not that everyone does, but I've met some young, and even some old people who wish they hadn't done it.

There's 2cents. I hope it helps.
:asian:

Tattoos are a personal choice and not right for every one. If you are going to get any kinfd of Tat, there are a few basic things to keep in mind in addition to making sure that you have a reliable professional do it.
1.) How is it going to look in 20 or 30 years? Will it look foolish? How do you explain to your four year old why you have Woody Woodpecker on your butt?
2.) Will it interfere in any professional or personal capacity? How would it look to have a maked woman on your arm at a church function? Would a tatoo give you a bad image in your chosen profession if everyone could see it? Like a police officer with tribal or gang art on his forearms.
3.) If you are an instructor, what kind of example are you setting for your students?
4.) Make sure that you are making a decision as responsible, mature adult.
I have tattoos, but they are professionally done and custom artwork to boot. I also made sure that I had them placed in such away that no matter what professional setting I am in, they are hidden.

I also have a tattoo, and it was done for a specific reason, not necessarily MA related.

A few years ago, I was diagnosed with cancer and was facing an operation to remove it. I felt pretty good about the whole thing, and felt that I would come through just fine. However, I wanted a little bit of extra "good luck" to go through the whole thing with me, and I knew that I wouldn't be able to wear jewelry/necklaces, etc. into the surgery. A tattoo seemed like the only thing that would fit the bill--something that I could take with me whenever and wherever I was.

I had the kanji for "dragon" tattooed on the inside of my left ankle. It is noticeable if you are looking for it, but doesn't stand out. Most often, it is covered. I had it put there so that I could see it when stretching, and it could serve as a reminder to me, and I could also use it as a point of focus (or a reminder to focus).

I doubt that I will ever get any other tattoos, as I feel that I got the one with a purpose, and no other would or could match that purpose.

My students have seen the tattoo before, and some have asked about it. When they ask, I tell them why I got it. Most often, however, I tend to keep it out of the "public eye". It is my personal mark, and was not orignally intended to share.

Again, however, to each his own.....;)

Peace--

Our head guy Phil has a dragon on each of his shoulders, sort of walking down the upper part of his biceps, with some chinese lettering inside (quite a few kanji, maybe 7 or 8, I'll have to ask him what it means).

Looks very impressive I have to say.

I've often thought I'd like a tattoo but the skin on my shoulders isn't too good (which pisses me off because I can't wear vests to train in in this damn heat!) so it's probably not a good idea :(

Ian.

I've got a universal pattern with a YinYang tattooed on my forearm and I've yet to regret any other tattoos that I have. In fact, I plan on getting another, but it's been thought out for a couple of years and getting the right person to do it accounts for some of the time lag.

Could someone tell me where in the Bible that tattoos are a sin, or whatever it is?

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Originally posted by cdhall

Part of my new reason is that Tatoos are prohibited in the Bible. So that took the rest of my enthusiasm.

Got a verse?

Clydes tatoo is very cool I have seen it....he'll have to explain how the light and dark yin and yang and universal pattern all work together.....its pretty interesting and he used it for a training aid!!

Brian

That's something tonbo!

An arnis colleague has Tae Kwon Do tattooed on his back and no longer practices it. If one might either choose or have to change arts (say, due to a move), it could be an issue. If you're at the point where you could keep training on your own/start your own school, perhaps it doesn't matter so much.

My brother has a ton of them--it's not for me, though.

I want to post to say that I'm looking. I don't recall the passage or the exact wording but when I saw it I thought "So much for that idea."

I'll get back here with an answer. I'm not "ducking" the question.
Sorry it is taking so long.
:(

Originally posted by cdhall

I want to post to say that I'm looking. I don't recall the passage or the exact wording but when I saw it I thought "So much for that idea."

I'll get back here with an answer. I'm not "ducking" the question.
Sorry it is taking so long.
:(

What do you know?
http://www.biblegateway.com/
came through after all. Don't know why "tatoo" didn't call up this verse. I found it searching for "mark."

Leviticus 19:28

I am new to Christianity and I have just now read more of Leviticus 19. Since I shave, eat rare steak, and probably wear clothing woven with two kinds of material, I will have to look more into this. But there it is. :eek:

"...Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you..."

Looking at the context, I think we'd have to know more about the customs of the time to be sure what the law was. It could be that they were using tattoos as ancestor worship or some other practice, so that the specific practice is prohibited but tatooing, per se, is not. We may get better info from the Talmud, if there is commentary on that passage, as Jewish writers (esp during the times when the Talmud was put together) seem to know a heck of a lot more about the ancient customs referenced that do Christian writers.

Many Christians will quote Leviticus 19:28 when stating that Christians should never receive a tattoo:

"Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord." - Leviticus 19:28

However, it is interesting to note what other verses in Leviticus 19 say:

Verse 9: "When you reap the harvest of your land, do not reap to the very edges of your field or gather the gleanings of your harvest."

Verse 19: "Do not plant your field with two kinds of seed. Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material."

Verse 26: "Do not eat any meat with the blood still in it."

Verse 27: "Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard."

Verse 28: "Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord."

As you can see, many of the other 'rules' that are laid out in Leviticus are not followed today. Does that mean that the whole book of Leviticus, or even the Bible should not be followed? No! It just means that we need to carefully analyze what the theme of the Bible is, and realize what it means for us today. The book of Leviticus contained several 'laws' that were made to keep the children of Israel healthy and holy for God. Tattoos in those days were extremely dangerous and could result in injury, disease, or death. The verse also is referring to a pagan ritual of putting tattoo marks on oneself for the dead, in order to protect oneself from the spirit world.

Why then, should one get a tattoo? A person does not need to get a tattoo! I am not advocating that everyone should get a tattoo - rather I am saying that we should not shun those who have tattoos, or make the blanket statement that they can't be a Christian. Some Christians get tattoos to show their allegiance to Christ, while others just think that it is something cool to do.

Both are extremely personal matters, and I think things need to be taken on a personal, one-on-one basis. I know very devout people of many faiths, some have tattoos, some do not. It isn't a matter of what *any* holy book says or doesn't say, for most of these people.

Tattoos can be a very strong symbol, protector, statement, charm, reminder, you name it. However, I think they are like anything else: there will be those that get tattoos without thinking, believing that they will somehow be "cool" if they get one. Years later, they regret their decision, and either have to live with their mistake or pay costly fees to remove it.

I'm talking here about stories like this: There was a guy who wanted the word "villain" tattooed prominently on his forearm. So, he had it done....but the "artist" was not such a good speller. When the poor guy was showing off his tattoo, it was pointed out to him that the artist had tattooed "villian" in nice big letters. Now the guy looked like a fool.

I agree with what's been said in just about every discussion about tattoos: I am not against them. However, I believe that a lot of thought should go into getting one--placement, reasons for getting it, what does the tattoo mean, etc. Don't just go out and get inked 'cuz you think it will be cool.

As for religion and tattoos, well......I don't want to argue religion with anyone, out of respect. However, we need to remember that many of the admonitions in the Bible are somewhat dated--for a different time and place, and for a different culture. We can't take every word of every passage strictly anymore; HOWEVER, the principles behind all of the laws and philosophies are timeless, and should be taken to heart.

FLAME WARNING: I am in NO way slamming the Bible, folks!! It's just that there is a LOT of metaphor in the good book, and not EVERYTHING should be taken literally. All I'm saying, on both counts (tattoos and the Bible) is to put a little bit of thought into it, listen to your heart, and don't go into things blindly, and you will be much better off!

Peace--

It was once pointed out during a rather heated argument over scriptures to someone who was a 'to the letter, by the book' guy, that there is a section in there that tells you how far from town 1 must go to empty their bowels...how deep to make the hole, and what to use to make it. He was asked if he followed the christian bible to the letter.

he insisted he did.

he was quite annoyed when that section was brought up. No word on if he removed his indoor plumbing and bought a wooden spade. :D

Seriously, I think 1 needs to understand the mindset of the timeperiod to correctly interpret things. A lot of the stuff in there are health-codes for the day. PineappleHead hit a bunch on the nose.

Course, whatta I know? I dance with trees. :D

Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz

A lot of the stuff in there are health-codes for the day.

I think there is, most importantly, an Old Testament vs. New Testament issue here. An issue for early Christians was whether or not circumcision would be required of Christians.

From Psalm 137, where I've indicated other common translations:
9: Happy [blessed] shall he be who takes your little ones [babies] and dashes them [their heads] against the rock!

:D Well I got mine this past Saturday.

A custom Dragon and Tiger on my right arm that can be covered by a t-shirt if I want. I know I have no regrets after all I did have 41 years to think about it.:rofl:

This thread might be a good place to link to photos of Kenpo tatoos then.

Who's first?

:ubercool:

File sizes:
max size = 102400 bytes
max width and height = 500x500

allowed formats : gif jpg png txt zip jpeg pdf

Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz

File sizes:
max size = 102400 bytes
max width and height = 500x500

allowed formats : gif jpg png txt zip jpeg pdf

I was thinking of links. Where would the above files go? I see we have a Library, but not a Gallery. :eek:

Do you want us to email them to you? :confused:

OK, now I see. You are giving the specs for the "Attach file" option I bet. Sorry. :shrug:

If we attach a file, does the link stay in the message and the file is stored on the server? A Gallery might not be a bad idea.

Back