UFC: BJ penn vs. Kenny Florian at UFC 101 in Philadelphia on August 8

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
BJ Penn confirmed on his own website BJ Penn.com that he will indeed befacing Kenny Florian in the main event of UFC 101 in Philadelphia onAugust 8. The highly anticipated match-up comes on the heels of hisloss to regain the welterweight championship belt from Georges St.Pierre.

More...
The hardest hitting UFC news from MMARingReport.com

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I hope Ken-Flo beats the snot out of him......with no grease!!

This is a long layoff for Florian. This match should have happened before BJ fought GSP.
It bothers me that BJ was able to hold the fight off this long. Remindes me of Kung Le and him rarely if ever defending the belt he has b/c he is always off making movies. Unfair to the other fighters.
Long layoffs doesn't help them and if they do take a match in between and end up losing then they are dropped down the ladder.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I hope Ken-Flo beats the snot out of him......with no grease!!

This is a long layoff for Florian. This match should have happened before BJ fought GSP.
It bothers me that BJ was able to hold the fight off this long. Remindes me of Kung Le and him rarely if ever defending the belt he has b/c he is always off making movies. Unfair to the other fighters.
Long layoffs doesn't help them and if they do take a match in between and end up losing then they are dropped down the ladder.
I'm really looking forward to this fight, as well. KenFlo has been getting better for years now. He's a completely different guy than the one who was on TUF1.

Depending upon which Penn we see, it could go either way. A determined, focused BJ Penn beats anyone at 155.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it will be a good fight too. Penn is coming off the loss to GSP, and he's pissed and has something to prove. KenFlo is a totally different fighter than he used to be, and is a dangerous opponent. I'm looking forward to watching this fight.

Regardless, I still want KenFlo to beat the brakes off of Penn, just because Penn runs his mouth too much. But that's just me.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think it will be a good fight too. Penn is coming off the loss to GSP, and he's pissed and has something to prove. KenFlo is a totally different fighter than he used to be, and is a dangerous opponent. I'm looking forward to watching this fight.

Regardless, I still want KenFlo to beat the brakes off of Penn, just because Penn runs his mouth too much. But that's just me.
LOL... I totally get that. Florian is also the quintessential "geek" martial artist. He's the guy that out works and out thinks his opponents. Not the most gifted athlete. Not a prodigy or a natural talent. He just works his butt off. Penn is the exact opposite in every way.

Also, I just get a real kick out of KenFlo. Everytime I see him fight, I can't help but think of Ben Stiller in Dodgeball.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
LOL... I totally get that. Florian is also the quintessential "geek" martial artist. He's the guy that out works and out thinks his opponents. Not the most gifted athlete. Not a prodigy or a natural talent. He just works his butt off. Penn is the exact opposite in every way.

Also, I just get a real kick out of KenFlo. Everytime I see him fight, I can't help but think of Ben Stiller in Dodgeball.

LOL!!

I think of almost the same thing, but instead of Ben Stiller, it's Justin Long.

AoCAdam

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am so excited for this event. Its going to be great, and hopefully I will be able to get tickets for this one. The Card looks great so far and keeps getting better:

-B.J. Penn (#2 Lightweight in the World)* vs. Kenny Florian (#7 Lightweight in the World)*
-Forrest Griffin (#3 Light Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Thiago Silva (#10 Light Heavyweight in the World)*
-Kurt Pellegrino vs. Josh Neer
-Danillo Villefort vs. Jesse Lennox
-Matt Riddle vs. Dan Cramer
-Thiago Tavares vs. Melvin Guillard
-Kendall Grove vs. TBA

^ According to MMAweekly.com

LordOfWu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
-B.J. Penn (#2 Lightweight in the World)* vs. Kenny Florian (#7 Lightweight in the World)*

Wow, Shinya Aoki is the #1 rated lightweight...that's interesting, and a little surprising...he's clearly very good, but they are giving a lot of weight to Dream, which is a fairly new promotion.

Latest Discussions