TSD Weapons?

S

Shinzu

indeed weapons training is one of my favorite aspects in the martial arts. most of the weapons you mentioned are of okinawan decent, but it all depends on where and who you train with. i am up for learning any and all types of weapons no matter what style i am involved with.

M

master dave

exactly my friend, the okinawan weapons were the creations of the common farmer, as a means of defense against bandits. the bo staff would be found as a tool to carry supplies, it was held behind the neck resting on the shouldes, at each end would be tied supplies mostly water. when under attack it proved a perfect striking weapon, allowing the farmer to keep his distance from his attacker while defending his property. the sai were used by the farmer, it was drug through the soil , another farmer walking behind would plant seeds in the trench made by the sai. the farmer would carry three sai with him, the thrid pair hidden in his back. this sai would be used to throw at his attacker usually on horse back. the chinese weapons to me are the most beautiful to watch and the most difficult to learn. the koreans had threre share in the history of weapons, the sword gum do. a proud korean weapon which took skill and percision to master the cuts. the fan was also populiar in korean history. lets not forget hapkidos cane. women also played a big part in koreas history. women were often used to protect royalty, for they were the perfect deversion, no one expected them to be body guards. they were highly skilled in various forms of weapons including throwing knives. TANG SOO!!!!!!!!

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The story of the sai as a farming implement is now believed to be in error, I think; most think it was intended as a weapon of some sort.

M

master dave

did not hear that theory, can you elaborate further. how it was thaught a farming tool at first but now only a weapon? is master fumio demura and okinawan master kenshin taira wrong also with their history of the sai being a farming tool? im very interested in your findings! :confused:

S

Shinzu

i thought the sai was always meant as a weapon also. as far as people throwing the 3rd sai, i have heard of that. it is indeed a unique weapon that could have been used in a variety of ways.

M

master dave

great discussion! i did a little checking, from the maru dojo, ryu kyu kobudo or the okinawan art of using farming tools as a weapon of defense. these weapons included the bo or staff,sai,kama,tonfa, nunchucku. the sai was used to plant rice and is still in use in some parts of the world today.
.....................................................................................................
taken from martial arts terms dictonary......

sai a pronged trunchen, used against attacks from various weapons including the sword. it was developed from an okinawan farming tool.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sensi toshihiro oshiro......

believes the sai was allways a weapon. couldnt be practicle as a farmers tool.
..................................................................................................
alan shen l cheung...............

kenpo karate, the sai was a mere farmers tool which was often mistaken. the sai we see today does not resemble the origional farming tool. the sai was used to plant rice and also used as a defensive weapon.

who knows? the sai is a fun weapon to learn anyway! weather or not it was a farming tool or not. the modern farmers pitch fork kind of looks like a sai with a long handle dosent it now. makes you wounder huh! TANG SOO!!!!!!!!!!!my friends!

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The sai was not derived from a rice planting tool, nor was it derived from anything related to rice harvest, growth, or production.

Even if it was based on a tool of similar design, that tool very likely would have been wooden. Why waste precious metal on something like that?

Cthulhu

S

Shinzu

we just reciently got a new member in our school who is TKD based. he is experienced in many different weapons. i hear he is skilled in the kama also. i just learned a new nunchaku form which is excellent. even though it is non traditional, i am always up for new weapons :)

J

Juche02

Well, the TKD organization I came from did not teach weapons. Not cool.

I have learned 3 bong forms in Tang Soo Do so far.
1) Bong Hyung Cho Dan
2) Bong Hyung Ee Dan
3) Bong Hyung Sam Dan

Those are the only weapons forms I know.
In class, we practice knife self-defense.
Black belts are required to do sword defense (using a Juk Do (Shinai) ) as part of their second degree testing, I think.

S

Shinzu

we call your bong forms.. bong hyung ll bu, e bu, and sam bu. yes they are great forms :)

J

Juche02

we may call it the same. i dunno.. i don't remember . ih
What organization you in?

S

Shinzu

i am with the international tang soo do moo duk kwan association. my instructor is master eric kovaleski.

Latest Discussions