Trying to decide which style for beginner - Muay Thai or Kali

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've taken Kali mixed with JKD for years. The emphasis is on the JKD and so you only do what aspects of Kali mix well with it. It works, but it's not the "full" Filipino martial arts experience. Great self-defense though.

Those prices seem high to me, but hey, it's L.A.

OP
R

reinhart_menken

White Belt
Reaction score
What's an acceptable price range for you guys? (since I don't know what's cheap or what's expensive in the martial art training world - other than the obvious rip-off schemes)

First ... why are you asking about schools in CA if you're in NY?

Second... the pricing is outrageous & looks to aimed at those with disposable income... or just stupid enough to drop that kind of $$$.

Third... exactly... what are you after?

I was asking the Inosanto Academy (it's the one he runs, he teaches or he's situated, whatever) about the credential of the instructor here in NY. (basically it was as good as asking he himself)

And yeah, the pricing does seem outrageous.

Third, I've stated my goal in the first post; you'll see it if you read it. If you mean form, I'm leaning more toward Kali.

I've taken Kali mixed with JKD for years. The emphasis is on the JKD and so you only do what aspects of Kali mix well with it. It works, but it's not the "full" Filipino martial arts experience. Great self-defense though.

Those prices seem high to me, but hey, it's L.A.

Ah, thanks. That's precisely the kind of information I wanted to know. I'd preferably like the "full" Kali experience/training. It's in NY though, but that's pretty much the same as LA in regards of pricing.

Last edited:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was an FMAer when I added JKD. The JKD really helped bring out the aliveness in me, but the arnis is still my main thing. I encourage you to keep looking for an FMA!

OP
R

reinhart_menken

White Belt
Reaction score
I was an FMAer when I added JKD. The JKD really helped bring out the aliveness in me, but the arnis is still my main thing. I encourage you to keep looking for an FMA!

Thanks! I'm really hoping to find a good FMA gym too, though I've yet to find one that's either close enough or cheap enough (confirmed cheap or standard price, just not rip-off). I'm going to pay a visit to the previously mentioned expensive gym to make use of their free 30 minute trial (more like a talk session they BS-ed into a free trial), mainly because I'm that type of paranoid guy; and plus the Internet poster that posted the message about it being expensive posted it a while ago (at least before the economic recession). So...we'll see if that fact's changed or not. Though if that's the gym I ultimately choose, I would be taking the Muay Thai lessons, because I don't want a Jeet Kune Dao centered mixed-Kali lesson ("worse" comes to "worst").

I'll eventually pay some visits to a couple gyms in Manhattan probably, to see if there are any not too expensive Kali lessons (at least not a rip-off), and if so, I'll just have to wait until I get my newly acquired bike (motorcycle) fixed (to make it time-effective, or I'd waste almost 4 hours commuting per lesson), which'll be a while since I'm fixing it myself with my friend (and I rely on his expertise, and my labour); which is also why I forgot about the thread here for almost a week :p