TRIGONDO - new martial art against multiple attackers. NEW NEW

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
You put this up as an example of something more realistic. And your response to the criticism is...odd. I didn't say anything about her going in harder, just like I didn't say anything about the level of power used in my previous comment.

This doesn't reflect actual likely dynamics of a situation like this. There are ways to keep those dynamics, even with a beginner. I've seen start-stop drills (gives the subject a chance to evaluate every few seconds), slower-speed drills (so they aren't overwhelmed by the speed of the attacks), and a couple of others. This drill really just shows them not giving her feedback when she makes a mistake. A tap on the back of the head when they turns their back on an attacker lets them know they messed up.

It's okay for beginners to fail in an exercise. That's how progression works.

I should've been more clear that I was using only the tall White guy as the "example of something more realistic".

Yes I agree with you that the girl sucked.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should've been more clear that I was using only the tall White guy as the "example of something more realistic".

Yes I agree with you that the girl sucked.
None of my commentary was even about her. I commented on the unrealistic attack sequencing.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have.... in Karate, Jujitsu and Aikido.... It is very easy to see the attackers waiting their turn and not attacking from the back, even when the defender gives their back to the attackers. As Gerry says, they should be attacked from behind, whether it be a tap or a grab... not to injure, but to show the failure.

I was only talking about the tall White guy in that video.

This is because Gonzaga trains for UFC fighting... which is one on one, with a referee and rules. He found his opponent, and stayed focused on that one opponent.

I just told you that it was a marketing video for The Marines.

There used to be video of two UFC fighters that were in a street fight, one did the same thing, focused on his opponent and never saw the other guy run up behind him with a 2x4 and put him in the hospital. If you watched the video, before they took it down, you would have seen this guy do what Gonzaga did, only he was not hit with a foam padded club.

Your facts are wrong. Only Falcão was a UFC fighter. And that incident didn't prove anything other than they got attacked by 5-6 people. Falcão & Mena were drunk and were there to buy more alcohol....making sexual advances at a girl & then hit her.

Whats interesting is that when you watch the marines critique Gonzaga, it was not that he focused on just one opponent that they had an issue with. It was that he sparred with him. In a multiple attacker situation, you are going to die, but he should have gone after one, full force instantly, so that the next marine coming up the hill would have one less attacker to deal with.

Once again, it was a marketing video for the Marines; the UFC's biggest & most reliable, paid advertiser, at a point when they were about to go bankrupt. They're not going to go around beating up Marines on videos. Urijah Faber even said on a Joe Rogan podcast that those exercises were pretty easy and they were holding back on those Marines.

Have you ever watched a real fight, where the wrong guy gets the upper hand? When the buddies join in to help out the guy that was supposed to win? No one waits their turn, attacks from behind are usually the ones that end it and no one waits for the guy to finish what is is doing to the opponent before they attack.

Yea, and that doesn't mean anything as not all fights will happen the way that you think they do.

SgtBarnes

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know a guy who made up a system and he was the Grandmaster but honestly other people in martial arts laughed at him. It was painful to watch his training 😶

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was only talking about the tall White guy in that video.

This is because Gonzaga trains for UFC fighting... which is one on one, with a referee and rules. He found his opponent, and stayed focused on that one opponent.

I just told you that it was a marketing video for The Marines.

Your facts are wrong. Only Falcão was a UFC fighter. And that incident didn't prove anything other than they got attacked by 5-6 people. Falcão & Mena were drunk and were there to buy more alcohol....making sexual advances at a girl & then hit her.

Once again, it was a marketing video for the Marines; the UFC's biggest & most reliable, paid advertiser, at a point when they were about to go bankrupt. They're not going to go around beating up Marines on videos. Urijah Faber even said on a Joe Rogan podcast that those exercises were pretty easy and they were holding back on those Marines.

Yea, and that doesn't mean anything as not all fights will happen the way that you think they do.
So, lets get back to the point. Are you saying that in real world multiple attacker situations, that the attackers will attack one at a time, each waiting their turn as their buddy make his attack, that they will patiently wait for their buddy to be dealt with... before the second one attacks? And further, that they will never attack from behind? Are you saying that the attackers will never simultaneously attack, all at once from all directions?

Whether it was a demo reel or not, the marines were showing simultaneous attacks from all attackers, from all angels. Are you saying this is not how multiple attackers work?

And that incident didn't prove anything other than they got attacked by 5-6 people.
Further, the 5 or 6 people forgot to take turns attacking, and attacked from behind... this never happens in the real world.... Oh wait...

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
So, lets get back to the point. Are you saying that in real world multiple attacker situations, that the attackers will attack one at a time, each waiting their turn as their buddy make his attack, that they will patiently wait for their buddy to be dealt with... before the second one attacks? And further, that they will never attack from behind? Are you saying that the attackers will never simultaneously attack, all at once from all directions?

No.

But, "are you saying that in real world multiple attacker situations, that the attackers will" always "simultaneously attack, all at once from all directions"?

Whether it was a demo reel or not, the marines were showing simultaneous attacks from all attackers, from all angels. Are you saying this is not how multiple attackers work?

I'm saying that what you posted, was a choreographed & paid promotion for the US Marine Corp.; otherwise, Gonzaga would've clobbered both of them if it was hard sparring.

Further, the 5 or 6 people forgot to take turns attacking, and attacked from behind... this never happens in the real world.... Oh wait...

Just calm down, and read the above.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
I know a guy who made up a system and he was the Grandmaster but honestly other people in martial arts laughed at him. It was painful to watch his training 😶

True. I think when they try to make up some system that's supposed to work, they'd need to show a video that they can beat someone down in a hard sparring session. Like a comparable student of size, age w/good skills & experience. Otherwise, it's fantasy.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
how should i prove it? should i go in a bar and shout anyone want a fight?
i suggest you come down to reality bro...

because you just made up that 99% number from watching movies or something...yet you want to talk about reality?

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But, "are you saying that in real world multiple attacker situations, that the attackers will" always "simultaneously attack, all at once from all directions"?
"Always" is an interesting word.... In the real world, "always" can usually be proven wrong.... it only takes one instance to prove "always" wrong. I will say that in the real world, the attackers usually will not wait their turn, they usually will not engage one at a time, waiting to see how their buddy does before they jump in and they usually will attack from behind... as shown in your video.... they came up with that phrase "sucker punch" for a reason.

When training for a real multiple attacker situation, you need to move beyond attackers that wait their turn, and don't attack from behind... Movies, Trigondo and your video very much showed the attackers waiting their turn and not attacking from behind, even when they could have, because the defender turned their back to an attacker.
I'm saying that what you posted, was a choreographed & paid promotion for the US Marine Corp.; otherwise, Gonzaga would've clobbered both of them if it was hard sparring.
Choreographed or not, the Marine video showed attackers not waiting their turn, and attacking from behind. This is more realistic, even if you go with "it is more realistic choreography."

I am not sure why you are so adamant, that this was choreography, and that Gonzaga would win... Gonzaga trains for a sporting match, that is one on one with no weapons. That is a different game. If someone stabs you with a knife, bayonet or machete... your UFC record is not going to save you. The corrections that the Marines offered him were not about his fighting skill or prowess or ability to defeat any one of them in a UFC match. The corrections were about not dancing around like you are sparring, but go kill one, now. Taking a hill in military combat is very different than fighting a sporting match, and requires a different mindset.

UFC guys are not invincible:

Well, maybe Gonzaga is... but he would be the only one. The rest of us mere mortals are vincible.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
Again, my commentary wasn't about her. Not sure why that's so hard to understand.

Your commentary was about the entire video that I posted as a whole, complaining.

In post #128, you said: "That's still two people going easy on someone. Her first response was followed by her turning her back on one of them, and he stood and waited."

That's why I asked you to clarify, that she sucked.

C'mon, you can answer this one now since Women's Day is over (lol i'm just playing).

Status
Not open for further replies.