Training when ill... Covid got me

wolfeyes2323

Green Belt
Reaction score
So Covid has finally caught up with me, after more than 2 years of dodging it. In the end it wasn't too bad, just a mild flu and now a cough that just won't quit, but then I'm healthy and have had 3 jabs.

It did mean that my regular plan to feed the YouTube algorithm was disrupted though, as I wasn't exactly fighting fit. I ended up making a video on training when ill, looking for things that are still doable even if you feel terrible. I came up with stretching and visualisation (surprisingly strongly supported in scientific literature).

Do you have any other suggestions on what to do to avoid missing out on your training gains?

The plus side of being stuck indoors was that I had some time to focus on my own forms practice once I could move about a bit without feeling awful.
Listen to your body, know yourself.
develop a normal healthy routine,
that you can maintain regardless.
Go to bed early , sleep for 6-8 hours,
get up early , eat healthy , if you
feel like it take nap or rest.
Read about the art you practice,
watch videos and research the art,
while you have the time. If you feel
well enough, go outside even if it is
just in the back yard. putter around .
The physical will begin to come back ,
take it easy, a little at a time, focus
on small things and details of movement.
Allow yourself to get well and come out
stronger with improved habits.

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Look out for Pneumonia. I agree with those saying stay active.

Take Vitamin D. Get a lot of sun exposure if you can. Out door hiking and training is great.

Water, fresh air, light exercise. Eat healthy and avoid alcohol, and sugary stuff -- eat things that help rather than impede your immune system.

Also, with the caveat that I'm not a doctor (but follow the Scientific literature and am qualified to read and understand it) -- I would not take Remdesivir if they give it to you. Based on several studies it appears to actually have a negatively correlated impact on Covid outcomes, and there's no solid case to be made that in any study that it is beneficial. Many countries have stopped using it as a result, but the U.S. seems to still be prescribing it for some reason. Anyway, not getting political here -- just that the Scientific literature, however you look at it, doesn't justify its use. But, you should be the judge of that. Talk with a few doctors and take a look at the studies yourself, and make your own decision.

Obviously, I wouldn't train with any partners and would stay away from people if I knew I was sick. Don't want to pass it on to anyone else.

On the bright side, once you're recovered you should have pretty robust and long lasting immunity!

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look out for Pneumonia. I agree with those saying stay active.

Take Vitamin D. Get a lot of sun exposure if you can. Out door hiking and training is great.

Water, fresh air, light exercise. Eat healthy and avoid alcohol, and sugary stuff -- eat things that help rather than impede your immune system.

Also, with the caveat that I'm not a doctor (but follow the Scientific literature and am qualified to read and understand it) -- I would not take Remdesivir if they give it to you. Based on several studies it appears to actually have a negatively correlated impact on Covid outcomes, and there's no solid case to be made that in any study that it is beneficial. Many countries have stopped using it as a result, but the U.S. seems to still be prescribing it for some reason. Anyway, not getting political here -- just that the Scientific literature, however you look at it, doesn't justify its use. But, you should be the judge of that. Talk with a few doctors and take a look at the studies yourself, and make your own decision.

Obviously, I wouldn't train with any partners and would stay away from people if I knew I was sick. Don't want to pass it on to anyone else.

On the bright side, once you're recovered you should have pretty robust and long lasting immunity!

The first study I came across is a randomized clinical study showing reasonable efficacy in both clinical outcome and recovery time. Can you point me to the sources you’re referring to?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

The first study I came across is a randomized clinical study showing reasonable efficacy in both clinical outcome and recovery time. Can you point me to the sources you’re referring to?
I think he might be confusing it with ivermectin, which, I think, has actually been debunked as a useful treatment (though it definitely helped my dog with heart worms).

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the well wishes. I'm mostly back to my old self now, just the occasional cough.

Did they put you on antibiotics (if the cough is still going after 2-3 weeks)? Could be bacterial after the virus. I had the similar cough for 2 weeks (although I'm training at ~80% of the reg. healthy pace); all the flu symptoms over but still coughing with a decent amount of phlegm. 17th day, went on Amoxicillin and the 1st capsule made me cough less w/i 1 hour. 2nd pill, and I woke up with 40% less coughing. Only 2 days & it's almost gone, but must finish 10 days of pills.

OP
Damien

Damien

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Did they put you on antibiotics (if the cough is still going after 2-3 weeks)? Could be bacterial after the virus. I had the similar cough for 2 weeks (although I'm training at ~80% of the reg. healthy pace); all the flu symptoms over but still coughing with a decent amount of phlegm. 17th day, went on Amoxicillin and the 1st capsule made me cough less w/i 1 hour. 2nd pill, and I woke up with 40% less coughing. Only 2 days & it's almost gone, but must finish 10 days of pills.
Thankfully it's fully cleared up now. No more coughing for me!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What that means is you didn't need antibiotics. It takes 48-72 hours for them to do anything.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
What that means is you didn't need antibiotics. It takes 48-72 hours for them to do anything.

No it doesn't. And the time depends on the person.

"Antibiotics start working almost immediately. For example, amoxicillin takes about one hour to reach peak levels in the body. However, a person may not feel symptom relief until later.

"Antibiotics will typically show improvement in patients with bacterial infections within one to three days," says Kaveh. This is because for many illnesses the body's immune response is what causes some of the symptoms, and it can take time for the immune system to calm down after the harmful bacteria are destroyed."

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
No it doesn't. And the time depends on the person.

"Antibiotics start working almost immediately. For example, amoxicillin takes about one hour to reach peak levels in the body. However, a person may not feel symptom relief until later.
Time to peak serum levels following the first dose doesn't really have anything to do with how long it takes for them to work.
You have an infection. You have it before you show symptoms. This latent period is, basically, the time it takes for the infection to become severe enough to cause symptoms. The same thing happens in reverse when you start antibiotics. You will continue to have symptoms until enough of the pathogen is killed to stop the symptoms. At this point, too many people stop taking the antibiotics, because they wrongly believe that you have symptoms from the moment you're infected, and if the symptoms went away, the infection is gone. This is one reason we have drug-resistant bacteria.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
Time to peak serum levels following the first dose doesn't really have anything to do with how long it takes for them to work.
You have an infection. You have it before you show symptoms. This latent period is, basically, the time it takes for the infection to become severe enough to cause symptoms. The same thing happens in reverse when you start antibiotics. You will continue to have symptoms until enough of the pathogen is killed to stop the symptoms. At this point, too many people stop taking the antibiotics, because they wrongly believe that you have symptoms from the moment you're infected, and if the symptoms went away, the infection is gone. This is one reason we have drug-resistant bacteria.

You said, "It takes 48-72 hours for them to do anything."

This is not true. I've had tooth infections that were bacterial, as the gum was swelling & hurting. The 1st 500mg of Amoxicillin, usually takes effect in lessening the infection & pain w/i an hour.

Doctors rarely tests anyone for bacterial infection during a flu nor cold. They usually make you wait 2 weeks, then prescribe antibiotics if it doesn't go away on its own.

My cough wouldn't go away going on the 3rd week, full of phlegm; now it's gone after 10 days of Amox. Know a guy who didn't think he needed treatment due to a cold/flu that lasted over 3 weeks. The infection led to both of his kidneys failing at the age of 24; his sister gave him 1 of hers. Rare but it happens.

Latest Discussions