Training regimen help!

Nyrotic

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm trying to come up with a daily (or at least every-other-day-ly) training regimen, however I don't want the exercises to be pointless or counter-productive to my WC training (Which I can only go to about twice a month). So now I consult the collective wisdom of MT, and gladly accept all of its input.

As of right now, I'm not sure how I should make it. I still do 50 push-ups in the morning and stretch and whatnot, but am not sure what else I should do, for I don't feel that the few basics I've been taught so far in WC can be trained to an extremity. So I ask now, what other exercises should I do in order to be better prepared for further WC training/fighting.

-Nyro

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm trying to come up with a daily (or at least every-other-day-ly) training regimen, however I don't want the exercises to be pointless or counter-productive to my WC training (Which I can only go to about twice a month). So now I consult the collective wisdom of MT, and gladly accept all of its input.

As of right now, I'm not sure how I should make it. I still do 50 push-ups in the morning and stretch and whatnot, but am not sure what else I should do, for I don't feel that the few basics I've been taught so far in WC can be trained to an extremity. So I ask now, what other exercises should I do in order to be better prepared for further WC training/fighting.

-Nyro

There are a million different good answers to your query, Nyro. A good place to start is by getting your hands on a copy of Loren Christensen's outstanding book, Solo Training, reading it through and working out a menu of solo training exercises that meet your needs (in terms of the payoffs he describes). Outstanding book....

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, so you do Wing Chun. How far along are you? Ok, I'll assume you're at Dan Chi Sao. Here's somthing like what I would do
Monday: Sui Nim Tao 25 times, nothing special. Drills all the normal way, for the normal amount of time. begin with 50 push ups.
Teusday: Sui Nim Tao 25 times, standing only on one leg. Do all drills standing on leg. This isn't a normal thing to do, but it's not a bad idea to get used to it. Begin with 50 knuckle push ups (work up to this or you'll hurt yourself)
Wednesday: Sui Nim Tao 25 times, standing on the leg opposite of Teusday. Do drills all standing on same leg. Begin with 50 fingertip push ups (seriously, if you don't work up to this you WILL hurt yourself)
Thursday: Sui Nim Tao 15 times, really slowly. drill all really slowly. Begin with 50 push ups.
Friday: Sui Nim Tao 30 times. 25 normal, 2 standing on one leg then the other, one really slowly. Do Pac Sao/Chum Chio/Pac Dar the usaul way, then slowly, then on one leg for the usaul amount of time. Begin with 50 knuckle push ups.
Saturday: As Friday with Lap Sao and changes. Begin with 50 finger tip push ups.
Sunday: As Friday with Dan Chi Sao. Begin with 20 one arm push ups, each arm.

End with some light weight lifting that focuses on the shoulders. This is a template meant to give you an idea of what would be a good idea (in my oppion atleast).
Keep us informed!

OP
Nyrotic

Nyrotic

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok, so you do Wing Chun. How far along are you? Ok, I'll assume you're at Dan Chi Sao. Here's somthing like what I would do
Monday: Sui Nim Tao 25 times, nothing special. Drills all the normal way, for the normal amount of time. begin with 50 push ups.
Teusday: Sui Nim Tao 25 times, standing only on one leg. Do all drills standing on leg. This isn't a normal thing to do, but it's not a bad idea to get used to it. Begin with 50 knuckle push ups (work up to this or you'll hurt yourself)
Wednesday: Sui Nim Tao 25 times, standing on the leg opposite of Teusday. Do drills all standing on same leg. Begin with 50 fingertip push ups (seriously, if you don't work up to this you WILL hurt yourself)
Thursday: Sui Nim Tao 15 times, really slowly. drill all really slowly. Begin with 50 push ups.
Friday: Sui Nim Tao 30 times. 25 normal, 2 standing on one leg then the other, one really slowly. Do Pac Sao/Chum Chio/Pac Dar the usaul way, then slowly, then on one leg for the usaul amount of time. Begin with 50 knuckle push ups.
Saturday: As Friday with Lap Sao and changes. Begin with 50 finger tip push ups.
Sunday: As Friday with Dan Chi Sao. Begin with 20 one arm push ups, each arm.

End with some light weight lifting that focuses on the shoulders. This is a template meant to give you an idea of what would be a good idea (in my oppion atleast).
Keep us informed!

Actually, I've only recently started, and am only starting out with the basics; the stance, chain-punching, that sort of thing. I guess I COULD work on blocking and punching on one leg? Although I still have to get used to the WC stance. Thanks for the input though!

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
well in that case! you haven't even got to pac dar? how recently is recently?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

-Nyro
There's no problem with training your techniques "to extremity." The better and more thoroughly you learn your basics, the better your martial arts will be. And you'll develop the muscles and fitness for the demands of your system.

Beyond that -- work on your basic conditioning. You can start now with some shadow boxing for fitness, and make it more "correct" as your knowledge grows.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I respect a man who understands the relative nature of the word "recently" ^.=.^

Try...1 month ago.

wow that is recently... mmm... tips I can give... well, I got nothing. good luck

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

-Nyro

Push ups: Basic exercies, but there is a wide variety to choose from. Changing up your hand position, you should notice some difference when doing them.

Crunches: Again, mix up the way you do them.

Triceps: When doing pushups, putting your hands together to form a triangle will hit the tricep area. Additionally, you could put your feet on a chair, your hands on another chair and perform a pushup type movement that'll also hit that area.

Legs: Some body weight squats should help with that.

Back: Chinups

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Not too familiar with wing chun but I think it's better to do a variety of push-ups than a bunch of the same kind. You can always repeat your set. I do 10 or twenty regular as sort of a warm-up, then 10 with hands in, ten with hands out, 10 or twenty vertical knuckles, ten or twenty horizontal knuckles, ten wrist push ups (back of the hand), ten fingertip push ups and I "jump" between hands left, right, left right etc. for my one arms and do about ten with each hand (all part of the same set with no break). I do this set two to five times per day depending on how I feel. It's important to strengthen the right muscles for the action involved. Polymetric jumping (look it up, it's hard to describe) can really strengthen your legs too. Just take good care of your knees. Another good thing to practice is a back bridge. Good stretch. Swimming is always one of the best exercises. I like it for two reasons, 1) The water pressure is like lifting weights with your breathing and 2) It's way easier on the joints. Crosstraining is great. I always stress conditioning. Hardening your knuckles on a phone book is good too but not everyone's cup'o tea. Sprinting is good for self defense traing (running away). Philosophy, theory and psychology are important too and often neglected. Study, study, study. Pick up a copy of Tao of Jeet Kune Do too. Bruce, whatever opinions may be, had some good points. Run with heavy ankle weights (10lbs or more) but stop if your knees or ankles start to hurt. Don't injur yourself. I've got more ideas if you want...

Latest Discussions