Training Journals

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

I was curious to know if anyone out there is keeping a journal of their training and if so what sorts of things they document....and do you find it beneficial?

This is something that I have thought about doing for some time, but have yet to do.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My school supplies beginners with a manual for the majority of their material for the first couple of belt tests. After that they need to implement their own recording. I have seen students keep notebooks, but I have also seen some students actually have a friend film them while practicing their material. If you do this i recommend only filming material required for your next test.

Phadrus00

Blue Belt
Reaction score
bowser,

I have to keep a journal! Actually I am on my third Journal and I have a large file folder of notes and handouts plus I have 4 Curriculum Book and a vast array of video in different formats. It's challenging to manage all of it really but necessary.

I particulary focus on recording forms and drills as well as general training principles. I try and capture core movements and let video capture the subtleties. For FMA materiel I have developed a form of short hand that lets me capture the Angle, the follow through, and the response from the partner. This makes capturing the informaiton quicker but it is still a time consuming and laborious task. It does have the added benefit though of reinforcing the materiel in my mind.

Developing the right level of detail has been a learning process. Early on I made notes on things and thought I had enough info and then later went back and recognized that what I had written was undecipherable becaus eI did not capture enough context and detail.

I encourage all my students to take notes and be active learners.

Rob

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Been keeping a journal, off and on, for about 4 years now. It's morphed over time. As a beginner, to try to record katas and activities, occasionaly interspersed with notes to self. Now, it's more expository.

It's boring to read over the journal, but at times it's amusing to see the weight I put on some things and as an observation of a past point in time.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have keep one for the last twenty years and they are a great resource when going back over material. I live by them.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I used to try, but it became a big headache. I do have a note book (or four) filled with ideas I came up with, technique variations, useful sparring drills, and the like.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wouldn't say what I have kept is a journal, but I have kept lots of notes and articles over the years and lots of stuff on video.
The material is anything that I really like or find useful, Anything from techniques to philosophy. Its been a great reference for me to go back to from time to time.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I started a journal on my first day of training back in January of 1991. That journal means a lot to me and I still keep updated it. I used a simple folder and use notbook paper and write down whatever I learned or discovered. I have drawn pictures, dates, even notes on who taught me the technique or kata.
Now, I highly recommend my students buy a one dollar notebook and start their own. I don't tell them how to structure it. I tell them that it is strictly for them and they need to use their own shorthand and write what they feel is important.

AoG

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I use a regular notebook to write my journals then transfer them to a few personal websites.

I found the journals to be very helpful.

CrimsonPhoenix

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have a journal for my training! Actually, I've only been writing in it for about four months, but that's longer than I've ever done a regular journal for, so I'm happy about that. The hardest thing about it is taking the time to sit down and write. I tend to end up procrastinating sometimes, and then I don't remember what was so important that I needed to write down.

For me, I record the class and anything in particular that stood out. It all depends on what I feel like writing. Sometimes my writing will end up more like notes, and other times there will be a more journal like entry. I've also found that writing down any questions I may have to ask at the next class helps.

I actually enjoy reading over what I've written and seeing what was technique/form/kick etc. was causing me trouble. I guess it's all about being able to see where I've improved and how long it's taken me to get better.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have kept different things over the years it helps when I teach to go back over things as there are things I overlook that have helped me get to where I am but also it brings back good memories

snoack

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Haven't really kept a journal, have a bunch of handouts that I've received in class over the years.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've kept one for years now. It's a great way to keep track of progress, but also to motivate. If you're in a lul in your training, you can be motivated by what you've done & what you've accomplished.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Iceman is write about the lull thing. If you are in a slump, you can check the notebook for something to work on that you don't normally remember to practice or develop.

AoG