Training In Japan

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
So, after reading that, my interpretation of that is that while he's certainly been around long enough to have seen quite a bit, the Shihan in Japan have shown him a 'new' way, so to speak, of looking at things.

More precisely, first I saw it (with Soke), then some of the shihan were able to help me with it. Still got LOTS of work to do on my own now, though.

26 years now, still going and still growing. I love this art!!

Reactions: MJS
OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
More precisely, first I saw it (with Soke), then some of the shihan were able to help me with it. Still got LOTS of work to do on my own now, though.

26 years now, still going and still growing. I love this art!!

Thanks Dale! :) Its nice to see you posting here. I know at times certain forums can breed people with an agenda, which oftens deters people from posting. We do our best here, to keep things civil and troll free.

Its nice to see you posting and I look forward to hearing more from you.

Mike

ElfTengu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The most important question by FAR, is how good are the people who teach you?

If they are total crap it doesn't make any difference how many times they have been to Japan, and we all know people who have the money to go as often as they like and then lord it over the rest of us but don't actually come back with anything worthwhile or of any value because they are unable to retain or understand, even at a basic level, anything that they saw whilst they were there.

So a good teacher who rarely goes or has never gone to Japan (by definition they will have had much contact with people who 'have' done so), is better than a poor instructor for whom the trip is not worth having taken.

But a good teacher who has lots of Japan-time under their belt and still goes over every now and again, is obviously better than a good teacher who is not drawing from the live source.