Japan train question?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay I am planning my next Japan trip and interested knowing how much
I will pay for a bullet train from Tokyo to Atami? Is there anyone in Japan who can help me out. Also can you buy a several day bullet train pass?
Besides staying in Noda, I have to be in Atmai for a couple of days. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
Okay I am planning my next Japan trip and interested knowing how much
I will pay for a bullet train from Tokyo to Atami? Is there anyone in Japan who can help me out. Also can you buy a several day bullet train pass?
Besides staying in Noda, I have to be in Atmai for a couple of days. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

I do not know the cost, but I do agree that it is the best way to get around in Japan. :) I enjoyed the trips I made.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The search result below indicates the total amount
for basic fares and limited-express surcharges (one way).

Shinkansen Line Tokaido Shinkansen (Hikari and Kodama trains)
Travel Segment Tokyo~Atami(for adult passengers)
Total amount 4,080 yen
[Basic fare: 1,890 yen + Limited-express Surcharge (during regular season periods): 2,190 yen ]
(The child price is half of the adult price, with amounts of five yen or less rounded off.)

The reserved-seat limited-express tickets are available for regular season periods, as well as high-season and low-season periods. The above limited-express surcharges are valid for reserved ordinary car seats on ordinary trains during regular season periods. A deduction of 200 yen applies to low-season periods, while an additional 200 yen is charged for high-season periods.
Low-season periods--- Monday to Thursday during the period of January 16 to the end of February, June, September, November 1 to December 20. (Excluding public holidays, days preceding public holidays, and alternative holidays.)
High-season periods---March 21 to April 5, April 28 to May 6, July 21 to August 31, December 25 to January 10.
Regular season periods---Days other than those designated as low-season or high-season periods.

The limited-express surcharges marked with "*1" is applicable for travel on reserved ordinary car seats during regular season periods. The amount is the total for basic fares and limited-express surcharges applicable to the segments of Tohoku Shinkansen and Yamagata Shinkansen (between Fukushima and Shinjo on the Ou Honsen line) or Tohoku Shinkansen and Akita Shinkansen (Tazawako line and Ou Honsen line for the sector of Omagari to Akita). There is a deduction of 340 yen for low-season periods and an addition of 340 yen for high-season periods.

The price marked with "*2" is a limited-express surcharge when using non-reserved seats. The amount is 2,300 yen for reserved seats (during regular season periods). For the sector between Tokyo and Omiya, however, the limited-express surcharge is 2,500 yen (during regular season periods).

The price marked with "*3" is a limited-express surcharge when using non-reserved seats. The amount is 2,190 yen for reserved seats (during regular season periods).

When you use a non-reserved seat for the entire journey, its limited-express surcharge is discounted by 510 yen from the ordinary-car reserved-seat surcharge for regular season periods, except for the following cases; (1)~(3) where Tokaido & Sanyo Shinkansen "NOZOMI" trains are used.
(1) When you use a non-reserved seat of NOZOMI for the entire journey, its limited-express surcharge is discounted by 510 yen from the ordinary-car reserved-seat surcharge of HIKARI or KODAMA train for regular season periods.
(2) When you make a connection of trains using a NOZOMI non-reserved seat and a reserved seat of HIKARI or KODAMA, the amount of the limited-express surcharges is identical to that for reserved seats of HIKARI or KODAMA for the entire journey.
(3) When you make a connection of trains using a NOZOMI non-reserved seat and a non-reserved seat of HIKARI or KODAMA, the amount of limited-express surcharges is identical to that for non-reserved seats of HIKARI or KODAMA for the entire journey.

On Tohoku Shinkansen "HAYATE" and Akita Shinkansen "KOMACHI", all seats require reservations.

There is actually a site set up in English for the shinkansen if you want.

Start at http://www.japanrail.com/

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you have the budget for it...consider a Green Car (first class) upgrade on the Narita Express and the Shinkansen. If my memory serves me correctly, the surcharge is about 30%.

Think first class on an airplane...bigger, more comfortable seats, fewer people in the car, better service. After a 14 hour flight to get there, it made a big difference to make the ride out in a seat with neck cushions and foot rests that were comfortable enough (and quiet enough) to nap in.

Have a great trip!

Latest Discussions