Training diary - request for suggestions

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm reading a book by Neil Adams and one of the things he says helped him achieve his level of success was keeping a daily training diary. He didn't record just the techniques he was learning but all the daily details of what training he did, what happened in his randori matches, his observations of other players and their preferred tactics, his physical and mental energy levels, and so on.

I've been inspired by this to make another attempt at beginning my own daily training diary. Previous attempts have been sabotaged partially by my atrocious handwriting. This time I'm typing everything up so I can actually read it the next day.

If anyone else has done this, please share any suggestions for keeping the whole thing organized so that it is easy to come back and review later. Should I save each day's entry in a separate text file with folders for each month? Should I accumulate a months worth of entries in a single text file? Should I just print out each entry and stick it in a notebook? Is there a helpful (and cheap) app I could download? So far it looks like each regular training day will entail about a full page worth of notes, while seminars will require longer entries.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If anyone else has done this, please share any suggestions for keeping the whole thing organized so that it is easy to come back and review later.
To keep a record is an excellent idea. Without proper record, you may have trained a certain technique, but you may forget to train how to counter it.

Lone Wolf

White Belt
Reaction score
I haven't personally done this but the first thing that jumps to mind is just using a simple calendar app, just make each piece of training an event with a description.That way all will be easily saved,accessed and the whole thing is already organised for you. You will also be able to easily flick back through the months and pick days quickly and precisely as appose to a physical diary in which certain things will take slightly longer to find (also you'll save on paper costs xD ). Using a digital diary may also provide you with the ability to search for specific words e.g a stance or move you can't remember when you last did. there are also tonnes more advantages such as uploading it to the cloud etc. Hope this helps :)

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd suggest bringing a notebook and pen with you everywhere you go so you can at least jot down notes. This happens to me all the time: an idea will hit me about my training when I am at the park with my kids or something...I have no pen and paper on me, and I say, "Oh, it is a big enough revelation. I'll remember it later." And I never do. This may be especially true for you if you have a lot of ideas while at a seminar or watching a tournament. Then you can always type those notes up later.

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's what I've decided on so far. I may change this based on how well it works or on any additional suggestions I get.

At the end of each training day I type up a text file with all my notes for that day. I save the file with the date as a file name and upload a copy to Google Drive (which is searchable and accessible from anywhere), placing it in a folder for that month. I also print out a hard-copy and put it in a binder for easy browsing.

I'm considering the suggestion of taking a mini-notebook with me for jotting down notes. So far I'm leaning against it because a) it takes me out of the moment in training b) my handwriting is so bad I'll have a hard time reading it later and c) my memory is actually good enough that I can remember details pretty well as long as I write them down the same day. It's when I wait until the next day that I start forgetting stuff.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's what I've decided on so far. I may change this based on how well it works or on any additional suggestions I get.

At the end of each training day I type up a text file with all my notes for that day. I save the file with the date as a file name and upload a copy to Google Drive (which is searchable and accessible from anywhere), placing it in a folder for that month. I also print out a hard-copy and put it in a binder for easy browsing.

I'm considering the suggestion of taking a mini-notebook with me for jotting down notes. So far I'm leaning against it because a) it takes me out of the moment in training b) my handwriting is so bad I'll have a hard time reading it later and c) my memory is actually good enough that I can remember details pretty well as long as I write them down the same day. It's when I wait until the next day that I start forgetting stuff.

Right. Well, for the notebook idea I was thinking more along the lines of you were watching other people train/perform. For example, if you were watching two other people in a tournament and it wouldn't be your turn for a while. Also, I believe in always being prepared. I am the same way where I will remember it if I write it down the same day...but I can't tell you how often things come up to prevent that.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tony, you might want to consider audio instead. Just a cheap hand held recorder. Just give the date at the outset of each entry and let them rip one day after the next. What's nice about it is - a couple years down the line the tone of your voice will remind you more of what you actually felt about that day. And it's a whole lot easier than typing/writing, faster, too.

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tony, you might want to consider audio instead. Just a cheap hand held recorder. Just give the date at the outset of each entry and let them rip one day after the next. What's nice about it is - a couple years down the line the tone of your voice will remind you more of what you actually felt about that day. And it's a whole lot easier than typing/writing, faster, too.

Interesting thought. My first instinct is to think that writing is preferable. I find it easier to verbalize clearly in writing and I certainly can read faster than the speed of normal speech. Also the written word is computer-searchable. Still, I have a nice digital recorder and I shouldn't dismiss ideas out of hand without trying them. Maybe I'll give it a try at some point and see how it works.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey Tony,
Interesting thread. Thanks for posting the question.

As an instructor I kept a notebook for a couple of years. It is a three ring binder (a couple of them actually) I set up a 'blank' master page and made copies of it. On the top right hand corner of the master I made a row of numbers 1-10. At the end of the nights training I would circle the number that I rated the nights training as. Some threes a bunch of 5's and some 8's and 9's in the beginning.

Below that I had a space for a list of those attending the class, a brief note on conditions (hot, cold, rainy, snow etc) date and time of class as well as location

Below that I had a space for a list and description of the drills that we did that night. I also numbered these individually.

Below that I had a space for comments on the drills and both the students and my own performances during the activities. I would also include any idea's for improving the drills and exercises.

The final space was for any student comments that I wanted to include. (at the end of every class we would circle up and talk about the training.)

Keeping these pages proved a great learning experience as I was able to go thru the pages and pull out the low numbers and the high numbers and try to figure out what made a class great and what made a class fail. Keeping the pages and the drills also allowed me to see and adjust if I saw unwanted patterns forming. Seeing it written made it easier to recognize the patterns. It also allowed me to keep track of drills and when reviewing the pages I would often come across a great drill that we had not revisited in a very long time simply because it had been forgotten about. Many ideas for additional classes and drills came from reading these binders. By keeping the spaces smaller forced me to develop a better language to describe the drills and forced me to be concise in my descriptions and observations. I too have less than perfect writing- the writing of the notes forced me to better my writing. This purposeful training has been helpful in many ways.

I do not know about digitizing the work. For me the binder with the 'blank' pages made it simple for me to fill out prior to changing and closing up the school. Having to digitize something then copy it and file it seems like a lot of work to me...I would fail at that. Minutes count.

Good luck, sir.
Let us know what system you develop that works for you.
Regards
Brian King

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, Brian! I was thinking about the diary in terms of my own training, but now that you mention it I can see how it would be just as useful in learning how to be a better teacher. I'll be sure to include full details about the classes I am teaching as well.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use OneNote For all my notes, is fantastic. Syncs my laptop, tablet and phone. (also a webapp)

I use this and its voice notes for quick notes, and tidy things up when I have time.

Sent from my Surface Pro 2 using Tapatalk

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have always kept a notebook. And after 22 years I have a lot of them. My method is similar enough to Brian's so I won't rehash the same details.

I have thought the last couple years about going to a digital format but, I still prefer the "written" word. It also makes it much easier if I want to sketch/illustrate something for future reference.

K Williams

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A Rite in the Rain notebook( #770F, #773, or #374 are good examples...) with journal or universal ruling should work. Waterproof paper & binding, so it will survive being next to a sweaty gi.

Last edited:

K Williams

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'd suggest bringing a notebook and pen with you everywhere you go so you can at least jot down notes. This happens to me all the time: an idea will hit me about my training when I am at the park with my kids or something...I have no pen and paper on me, and I say, "Oh, it is a big enough revelation. I'll remember it later." And I never do. This may be especially true for you if you have a lot of ideas while at a seminar or watching a tournament. Then you can always type those notes up later.
For this method a Field Notes notebook is excellent. Their Expedition Edition is waterproof.

The one below is their Shelterwood Edition in a leather cover made by Of Mud & Coal.

7uhysupu.jpg

Latest Discussions