shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
still learning said:
Patience is a must.
This needs to be underlined. I think if someone doesn't have it in his/her heart to work with these and other truly challenged children (and adults), then they ought not bother.

I've seen Steve's article too and hope to hear from the publisher soon and get Bob's permission so we can put it on Martial Talk.

One-on-one aides are most helpful and for those of you who have a soft spot for this kind of thing and enough rank to satisfy your instructor that you could assist in this manner, please try this and reap those intangible rewards.

S

sifu Adams

I have about 12 ADD and ADHD kids in one of my classes. one of my students and I have been teaching these kids for 3-4 years now. We got together and done some reserch. Here is what we found. I am going to put this in simple terms because I am no doctor.

What we found is the reason the martial arts works so well is because there in most styles of martial arts you cross the center line of the body. With AD kids the mostly use one side of the creative side of the brain. (that's what gets them in trouble) this also creats a imbalence in the body. When you punch with the right hand and kick with the left foot you have to use both sides of the brain. at the start of class you when you do your streches try to have them cross center line. example: if you have them bend over and touch there toes, have them cross there legs first. or if you are sitting down with your legs apart have them touch their right hand to there left foot ect...
all this will trigger the week part of the brain and help balance them during your class.
OK they are bouncing off the walls. first have them massage their ears. Yes that right. there are 300+ nerve ending is the ears and by massageing them it will take the edge off and calm them down to where you can talk to them. (Also good for tournaments or testing with or without Ad) another good one to use is when you are talking to them have them put there finger on there upper lip and press slightly. this hits the center merdian (persure point) and does two thing, one keeps them from talking and two calms them down.
how to make them learn. will this took us some time. We noticed that if you stemulate any of the Liver or galblader pressure points that the students would learn much faster and retain the information longer. after some studing we found that it has been proven that Ad students have less glucose in the front part of the brain during learning than a student with out Ad. Well the gallblader supports the liver witch creates gulcose. With the help of Master Gin foon Mark and his 6 sounds Chi Gong, we started have them stemulate the liver maridan and the student started learning at a faster pace and retaining it longer. Keep in mind we have the students touch the point we do not.
for what it is worth hoped this might help. If you would like to know more just email me. [email protected].

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sifu, most interesting! I'm curious about stimulating the PPs of children, tho. I heard you are not supposed to use PPs on children and pregnant women ... will have to talk to my source re: this.

Thank you for reminding me about the center-line cross exercises and the brain - good stuff!

S

sifu Adams

Maybe I should clearfy. we are not striking the point we have them place ther first finger on there upper lip or we may say rub the temples ect. most of the time it is for only a few sec. In the 6 sounds chi Gong. the will place both hands on there lower stomic and breath. on the exhale they will make a light SHHHHHH shound. this stimulates the whole meridan and massages the liver. I am interested in finding out what your sifu says.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I'm glad that people are investing time in children despite the frustrations that come with working with those with ADHD. It can only help the kids.

Latest Discussions