Train in 3 different ways

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The wrestling "double legs" require 90 degree attacking angle while your opponent is in squire stance. But in fighting, this opportunity may be difficult to find when your opponent has forward and backward stance.

There are 3 ways to achieve this.

1. Your opponent gives you that angle.
2. You use footwork to put yourself into that angle.
3. You force your opponent to move into that angle.

This mean that for some technique (such as double legs, inner hook, outer hook, ...), you will need to train in all 3 stuations.

Do you have techniques in your MA system that also have this issue?

square-stance.jpg

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In your training, do you have to:

1. Wait for your opponent to give you that opportunity,
2. You move in to obtain that opportunity,
3. You force (bait) your opponent to give you that opportunity?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah. All of them needs to be set up.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My instructor when I was a kid, said her goal was a palm-heel strike to the nose. Everything else she would do in a fight is to set it up.

I can say that while I haven't thought of it this way, if I quickly apply what I know about Taekwondo and Hapkido, I can see this concept working.

Taekwondo:
  1. If my opponent enters my range, I can kick him.
  2. If my opponent is too close, I can either slide my hips back or rotate one leg back, and get the range to kick him.
  3. If my opponent is too close to kick, I can use a punch to knock him back and set up my kick.

Hapkido:
  1. Sometimes an opponent fails to maintain control, or they leave themselves vulnerable when trying a technique. There have been several times in class where I'm the uke (to borrow the Japanese term), and all I have to do is bring my arm up and I've got them in a chokehold.
  2. Footwork works absolute wonders for breaking their grip. A step backward can pull them off balance, or a step forward can bend their arm at an awkward angle.
  3. #2 goes hand-in-hand with handiwork. A good twist of your wrist can do all sorts of things to their center of gravity.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wrestling "double legs" require 90 degree attacking angle while your opponent is in squire stance. But in fighting, this opportunity may be difficult to find when your opponent has forward and backward stance.

There are 3 ways to achieve this.

1. Your opponent gives you that angle.
2. You use footwork to put yourself into that angle.
3. You force your opponent to move into that angle.

This mean that for some technique (such as double legs, inner hook, outer hook, ...), you will need to train in all 3 stuations.

Do you have techniques in your MA system that also have this issue?

square-stance.jpg
I believe that's a standard progression for training. You start with a situation where they provide exactly the opening (usually starting as a static opening) for a given version of a technique. Then you practice variations that require an entry (that footwork that puts you in position). A second part of that step is often learning to maneuver them into position, when positioning yourself isn't enough (Judo focuses a lot in this area). Then you go to free work (sometimes non-resistive at start, but eventually resistive), where you have to find whatever method you can to access your techniques.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Of course if you just train one technique, you have to move around to get to that angle. If you train many techniques, no matter how your opponent's angle is, there is always a technique that you can apply to him.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course if you just train one technique, you have to move around to get to that angle. If you train many techniques, no matter how your opponent's angle is, there is always a technique that you can apply to him.
Agreed. Best if you have both sets of options (more options, and more ways to get to a given technique). Of course, there's a point where doing too much of both just spreads you too thin, too.

Latest Discussions