Traditional Chinese Medicine

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a referenced article that makes for interesting reading. Do click on the links to read the original peer reviewed sources of information.

Stop torturing and killing endangered species of animals for what appears to be bunkum.

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is a referenced article that makes for interesting reading. Do click on the links to read the original peer reviewed sources of information.

Stop torturing and killing endangered species of animals for what appears to be bunkum.
It is highly unlikely anyone here is supporting TCM.

McDonalds, or Subway sandwiches Yes :D

But I think we are safe to say it is a big NO for TCM here 🍔

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
"TCM offers little to no health benefit", well that's just not true.

The article is combining some very real concerns with pretty goofy conclusions. Lost me just a few sentences in, even though I made it through the rest. The author, Ross Pomeroy, didn't really do his homework before writing a highly inflammatory article, for clicks.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score

McDonalds, or Subway sandwiches Yes :D

But I think we are safe to say it is a big NO for TCM here 🍔
I take it you don't know anything about TCM practices?

There are like, a million and plenty of them have evidence-based, positive results.

Hell, we can start with just herbs if you like. I'm a bit of an kung fu herbalist myself.

maxresdefault.jpg

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You know, I had a long post typed, but decided not to post it because I simply do not want to get into this again. Get deeply into this when I first came to MT, not wanting to rehash it all

The article, IMO is mostly wrong, out dated and politically based. And I doubt the author did much of any research into what they were writing about

Example of error

ginseng is considered a cure for the common cold"

nope, it isn't, so yes studies will show it isn't because even TCM does not use it for a cure for the common cold. that statement is not only incorrect but shows a gross lack of understanding on how TCM looks at health issues

TCM does not work that way, if they had researched TCM the would know. TCM looks for a cause and fights the cause. And if you and I both came in with a cold, it is very likely we would not get the same treatment, since the causes can be different.

Per US military labs Covid was manufactured at Wuhan labs, not an animal to person transfer. Interesting that the article has a anti China feel but yet puts forth Chinese government propaganda on COVID

My wife is a TCM doctor from China, raised in China, graduate, the top of her class, from Beijing University of traditional Chinese medicine. In China she is an MD of TCM and a PhD and a doctor at Beijing Hospital. She does not use animal based herbal remedies.

The WHO has been supporting TCM for years and was sponsoring a program in Beijing Hospital, where my wife was the acting head if the acupuncture department, to train western MDs in acupuncture, she was also the lead teacher in this program over 20 years ago.

I will close with, when my wife first came here she said she felt bad for many training acupuncture in the USA. She felt they tried hard but they did not have access to the books she used in college. They are not translated into simplified Chinese, so there are no english editions. She also had to learn how to read traditional Chinese. Also in China, she had internships in a hospital and worked in a hospital. Also part of here training is in western medicine, TCM folks trained here do not have access to these thing. And to be honest, she is the best diagnostician I have ever seen. She has diagnosed many things I have had, our kids have had ,my mother, father, her mother, my aunts, uncles and cousins have had, before any of us went to the MD, And she was right.

Should also note, the number of credits required to get just a bachelors degree program in TCM at Beijing University of TCM, is considered the equivalent of a masters here, by what was immigration, now Homeland security

and even now, I am considering deleting this... I will likely regret this, but I am going to hit "post reply"

I will not respond further here, I will not get drawn into a flame war...so have at me... and have a nice day

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
I take it you don't know anything about TCM practices?

There are like, a million and plenty of them have evidence-based, positive results.

Hell, we can start with just herbs if you like. I'm a bit of an kung fu herbalist myself.

maxresdefault.jpg
Well, I was just having a bit of fun really as some folk are not open to complementary approaches. You can see that with the tone of the article posted. Not sure why some people feel the need to make such claims in the first place.

Food like McDonalds and the standard junk most people eat is a bigger issue.

It is about time people began to learn about the health problems eating junk-foods such as McDonalds and the standard American diet creates in the body and mind, instead of concerning themselves with complementary approaches to health and wellbeing which they know next to nothing about.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I was just having a bit of fun really as some folk are not open to complementary approaches. You can see that with the tone of the article posted. Not sure why some people feel the need to make such claims in the first place.

Food like McDonalds and the standard junk most people eat is a bigger issue.

It is about time people began to learn about the health problems eating junk-foods such as McDonalds and the standard American diet creates in the body and mind, instead of concerning themselves with complementary approaches to health and wellbeing which they know next to nothing about.
Sarcasm???! On the internet????

I get the joke now. The same people pooping on old medicinal knowledge are the same ones stuffing their faces with Popeyes chicken.

As a fellow Tai Chi rebel, I agree.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is how my second doctor works. Which is why he's able to fix many of my issues in a shorter amount of time vest just treating the symptoms and letting things kind of heal on their own.
Did you ever watch House, M.D.? His gift was "differential diagnosis", fancypants speak for deduction, ruling things out over time, like Sherlock Holmes. The running joke was House was annoying and acerbic, but he actually got to know his patients and could help them.

In the show, it was a sharp contrast from typical "treat the symptom" medicine often seen in modern clinics and hospitals.

In the old days, your doctor knew you. Your history, your illnesses, your habits...nowadays you are lucky to go for any medical care without having to fill out form after form after form...

The best thing to come out of the COVID era was that I leaned to make a lot of kung fu teas and soups that made sick people smile and feel better. That's what TCM means to me.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"TCM offers little to no health benefit", well that's just not true.

The article is combining some very real concerns with pretty goofy conclusions. Lost me just a few sentences in, even though I made it through the rest. The author, Ross Pomeroy, didn't really do his homework before writing a highly inflammatory article, for clicks.
I've read that guy before. He's one of those folks who think "if they didn't teach me that at Harvard, it doesn't exist."

You could knock out Pomeroy with a slap, but if someone at Harvard told him the next day you can't get knocked out with a slap, he'd say he was only faking.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder why they have (Western) medical doctors in China if TCM is effectiv….🤔

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I wonder why they have (Western) medical doctors in China if TCM is effectiv….🤔
Because they work together side by side "In hospitals" and there are things that TCM cannot cure, like cancer and appendicitis, and cavities in teeth....my wife will refer patients to western medicine if it is something better treated by western medicine. As western medical doctors refer patients to her here in the USA.

There are things western medicine fixes with surgery that TCM fixes with acupuncture.... There are things Western medicine does better and there are things TCM does better.

Here's one you obviously don't know, even the VA hospitals (Veterans Administration Hospitals) here in the USA, as do other hospitals in the USA now have acupuncturists on staff.... and I would not be surprised if you have that in the UK as well, but not living there I cannot be sure. There are also TCM clinics in the UK that are colleges of my wife from China

So, I wonder why they have TCM people in hospitals if western medicine is so effective?

At least research the topic before you take the word of some highly questionable article, with political agendas

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I support TCM.

If you have tooth infected, by chewing fresh ginger can reduce your infection (I have tried this myself). Also, one of my friends had body order. After she started to chew fresh ginger, her body order was gone. When I was close to her, I could smell the fresh ginger body order that was very nice.

Who would know that ginger can do so much. At least ginger doesn't have any side effect.

I just had a very bad experience with "Breo Ellipta 200-25mcg Oral Inh" that my pulmonologist suggested me to take. 2 days ago, in the morning my left foot instep started to feel eclectic shock for every 10 seconds (tingling in the feet). That night I could not sleep. I didn't know what happened to me. I was worried that I might have to be like this for the rest of my life (not be able to sleep). After I stopped using "Breo Ellipta" for 1 day, my problem went away. I will never want to touch this medicine again.

When you take western medicine, you do have to be serious about the side effect. If you read the side effect of "Breo Ellipta", it can scare you to death.

side effects of Breo Ellipta​

More common​

Less common​

• Bloating or swelling of the face, arms, hands, lower legs, or feet
  • blurred vision
  • chest pain or tightness
  • diarrhea
  • dizziness
  • general feeling of discomfort or illness
  • joint or muscle pain
  • loss of appetite
  • nausea
  • nervousness
  • pain or tenderness around the eyes and cheekbones
  • pounding in the ears
  • slow or fast heartbeat
  • sweating
  • tingling of the hands or feet
  • trouble sleeping
  • trouble breathing
  • unusual weight gain or loss
  • vomiting

Incidence not known​

• Fast, irregular, pounding, or racing heartbeat or pulse
  • muscle spasms
  • noisy breathing
  • tremor

Symptoms of overdose​

• Arm, back, or jaw pain
  • chest discomfort
  • chest heaviness
  • confusion
  • decreased urine
  • dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position
  • drowsiness
  • fruit-like breath odor
  • increased hunger or thirst
  • increased urination
  • loss of appetite
  • muscle cramps
  • numbness or tingling in the hands, feet, or lips
  • rapid, deep breathing
  • restlessness
  • seizures
  • shakiness in the legs, arms, hands, or feet
  • stomach cramp or pain
  • unexplained weight loss

Other side effects of Breo Ellipta​

Less common​

• Creamy white, curd-like patches in the mouth or throat
  • difficulty with moving
  • muscle stiffness
  • pain when eating or swallowing

Last edited:

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Western Medicine in the UK (aka the NHS) offer and recommend a lot of complementary therapies and healing modalities nowadays with much success. Practices such as Reiki, Qigong and Taiji, Hypnosis and Visualization, Meditation and many more - attitudes are evolving for the better in the 21st century 👍👍

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Western Medicine in the UK (aka the NHS) offer and recommend a lot of complementary therapies and healing modalities nowadays with much success. Practices such as Reiki, Qigong and Taiji, Hypnosis and Visualization, Meditation and many more - attitudes are evolving for the better in the 21st century 👍👍
I just looked on the NHS website (Complementary and alternative medicine) and it says ’The availability of Complimentary and alternative medicine on the NHS is limited, and in most cases the NHS will not offer such treatments.’

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
I just looked on the NHS website (Complementary and alternative medicine) and it says ’The availability of Complimentary and alternative medicine on the NHS is limited, and in most cases the NHS will not offer such treatments.’
Alongside these complimentary therapies, the GP practices are also using social-prescribers to compliment the work the NHS is doing - I personally know Taiji teachers and Reiki healers who work in hospitals and pain-centres here in the UK. Attitudes are really changing for the better as a result of a more holistic perspective on the healing process and what benefits patients in the long term 👍

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alongside these complimentary therapies, the GP practices are also using social-prescribers to compliment the work the NHS is doing - I personally know Taiji teachers and Reiki healers who work in hospitals and pain-centres here in the UK. Attitudes are really changing for the better as a result of a more holistic perspective on the healing process and what benefits patients in the long term 👍
Can you give me their details? I would like to write to the health secretary and complain about this. Paying for alternative therapies which have absolutely no proven efficacy, in an NHS where chemotherapy etc is rationed due to financial constraints, is an absolute scandal!

Latest Discussions