Tracy Kenpo in Northern California?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I sometimes think about furthering my training with another Tracy kenpo instructor, and was wondering if anybody knows who is around the Northern California area, specifically San Francisco? I know Ted Sumner is in San Jose, which is a bit farther than I would like to go, altho I think he is held in pretty high regard by Tracy people.

The truth is that I have focused on other arts for many years, and my kenpo has shifted to the background to some degree. I trained many years ago under a couple of low ranking black belts, earned my shodan and didn't go beyond that. I am sure there is a lot more to learn, both in terms of material, and in understanding better what I have already learned. So I sometimes find myself thinking about this as an option.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Dave Simmons

Green Belt
Reaction score
I sometimes think about furthering my training with another Tracy kenpo instructor, and was wondering if anybody knows who is around the Northern California area, specifically San Francisco? I know Ted Sumner is in San Jose, which is a bit farther than I would like to go, altho I think he is held in pretty high regard by Tracy people.

The truth is that I have focused on other arts for many years, and my kenpo has shifted to the background to some degree. I trained many years ago under a couple of low ranking black belts, earned my shodan and didn't go beyond that. I am sure there is a lot more to learn, both in terms of material, and in understanding better what I have already learned. So I sometimes find myself thinking about this as an option.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Michael,

Ted Sumner is the BEST Tracy's Black Belt in the area! He has my highest endorsement. Give him a call or email him, he very approachable.

Ray Arquilla is an excellent choice, he's in the Sacramento area - Roseville I think? Contact him he's approachable too.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts, guys, I did spend some time on Tracys website, and I am coming to the same conclusion as you are suggesting. If I am going to revisit my training in Tracy's kenpo, then I definitely want to do it with the most experienced and knowledgeable people I can. I imagine there are others who are very competent and I don't mean to put anybody down. The options in the East Bay are probably just as far to get to as San Jose, so Mr. Sumner would probably be the one.

Around the beginning of the next year I may be making some changes to my personal schedule that might make this possible, one night a week or so. I will get in touch with Mr. Sumner when this starts to look like a real possibility. Right now it is just an idea floating around in my head.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts, guys, I did spend some time on Tracys website, and I am coming to the same conclusion as you are suggesting. If I am going to revisit my training in Tracy's kenpo, then I definitely want to do it with the most experienced and knowledgeable people I can. I imagine there are others who are very competent and I don't mean to put anybody down. The options in the East Bay are probably just as far to get to as San Jose, so Mr. Sumner would probably be the one.

Around the beginning of the next year I may be making some changes to my personal schedule that might make this possible, one night a week or so. I will get in touch with Mr. Sumner when this starts to look like a real possibility. Right now it is just an idea floating around in my head.

You will not be disappointed!

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Mr. Sumner. He seems like a very nice man, I am hoping my schedule works out after the new year so I can begin training with him. Maybe I can get my wife to come along and train as well, as long as it doesn't interfere with her capoeira training...

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Mr. Sumner. He seems like a very nice man, I am hoping my schedule works out after the new year so I can begin training with him. Maybe I can get my wife to come along and train as well, as long as it doesn't interfere with her capoeira training...

Mr. Sumner's reputation is top noth. Hope it all works out.

Latest Discussions