TOW- Crashing Wings

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is Larry Tatums latest Tip Of The Week. Please be patient as it takes a while to load. Enjoy! :)

Mike

MrGiggiles2007

White Belt
Reaction score
OK where should I start with this TOW from Tatum?

I do like the stomp at the end. I have always been a fan of poppin the ole knee when ever nessasary. But lets be honest here the fault lies in the sequence.

Maybe the fact that the techniques was never realy that Useful. It is full of dead space. The attacker has already gotten a hold of you and from your 6. Then the first move is to attempt to strike the forearms with a huge movement that telegraphs your action.

I for one can assure you that by that time the attacker has planted you into a wall, a bar countertop, a table or the floor.

I was around when SGM Parker would take this template and rearrange it and rework it to fit and have an effect. It always changed to the point that it was way beyond the sequence that is shared here.

I would challenge all the Kenpo greats out there to tech this sequence in the ways that they already know will work and stop pushing this antiquated version. It will only get folks hurt if executed this way.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
OK where should I start with this TOW from Tatum?

I do like the stomp at the end. I have always been a fan of poppin the ole knee when ever nessasary. But lets be honest here the fault lies in the sequence.

Maybe the fact that the techniques was never realy that Useful. It is full of dead space. The attacker has already gotten a hold of you and from your 6. Then the first move is to attempt to strike the forearms with a huge movement that telegraphs your action.

I for one can assure you that by that time the attacker has planted you into a wall, a bar countertop, a table or the floor.

I was around when SGM Parker would take this template and rearrange it and rework it to fit and have an effect. It always changed to the point that it was way beyond the sequence that is shared here.

I would challenge all the Kenpo greats out there to tech this sequence in the ways that they already know will work and stop pushing this antiquated version. It will only get folks hurt if executed this way.

i'm not a student of Parker Kenpo so I can't agree or disagree here. i will say this: it is my personal belief that this tech and any other tech that deals specifically with defense against bearhugs, full nelsons, body holds, etc., should be taught as if the attacker "almost" has the hug, hold, etc. reason being, if an attacker is going to bearhug you, he's not just going to sit there and hold you to death. he's either going to throw you, pin you, hold you long enough for his buddy to beat the **** out of you.

in saying this, if the defender senses someone from behind attempting this attack, i could see this technique being feasible. however, should the attacker already have you locked up in the hug...? big trouble.

thoughts?

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Having watched Mr. Tatum's material I will say that he constantly says the same thing. You can't wait for the hold to be secured, and you have to move when you first start to feel it coming on.

As for challenges to the Kenpo seniors to teach the correct version, how about starting everyone off and give what you think is the correct one? Especially if you were around Mr. parker and got first hand experience of his thoughts and re-arrangements to the techniques. It would be enlightening to us all.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mike, I had to wait for the week from hell to end before I got the time to sit down and carefully watch this clip. Waited patiently for it to load, as you said, but it just...won't...play. Maybe it expired, being 'of the week'? Or...? Anyway, was really looking forward to perhaps contributing to this thread, but the machine ain't cooperating. Sorry. :uhyeah:

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mike, I had to wait for the week from hell to end before I got the time to sit down and carefully watch this clip. Waited patiently for it to load, as you said, but it just...won't...play. Maybe it expired, being 'of the week'? Or...? Anyway, was really looking forward to perhaps contributing to this thread, but the machine ain't cooperating. Sorry. :uhyeah:

Don't know..maybe things are just running slow. As far as I know, they don't expire. He has a bunch of past clips archived on his site as well.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't know..maybe things are just running slow. As far as I know, they don't expire. He has a bunch of past clips archived on his site as well.
I'll try again on the weekend. No worries. :ultracool

Latest Discussions