Tournament videos

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is me doing "Oh Yun Poomsae" I will try to reserve comment until I'm done posting all the videos and have a chance to put together a more cohesive commentary

Last edited by a moderator:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You and your family did a great job, the videos are done well. Keep up the fine work. Tell the kids they did awesome for me.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Having never seen that poomsae before (I do tuls), I can't speak to specifics - but your performance was consistent in timing and stances, your movements were crisp - it looked good to me! I haven't had the chance to watch the kids' videos yet - I have to go change laundry loads.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I dont know this form, so i have no idea what it is SUPPOSED to look like.

I can only comment from the perspective of a forms judge.

Overall good performance.

Good energy

good power

somethings to work on:

SLOW DOWN, like 90% of people doing forms, you are going TOO FAST

eliminate all extra movement. Too many bobbles and weaves can lower the score alot.

on the turn back kicks, you are not looking at the target. That may be the way the form is supposed to be done, but it looks....odd Also, lock the kick out, and hold it there for a split second. Aside from making your kick look 10X stronger, it helps you recover your balance from the turn.

ok, at :35 seconds, there is a sequence where you are doing rear leg cresant kick+ turn cresant kick combos. On both turn cresent kicks, you are doing something most people do. You are flat footed on your base leg.

It isnt wrong per so, but it can mess up you balance and make the transition to the next move harder. Also, if the base foot cant rotate freely, more of the rotation has to come from the hips. This not only dammages the hip joints over time, but it constricts the rotation and power of the kick.

Try this. When you do any turn kick, get up on the ball of your base foot. This speeds up your turn by reducing the area in contact with the mat. Less surface touching the mat, less friction, smoother turn. Smoother turn = better balance and stronger kick.

Your daughter is doing this, but she is rotating on the heel instead of the ball of the foot. Same basic idea, but most people get better results from rotating on the ball.

work on the rear-spinning leg sweep-forward roll. Thats is a diceytransition.

Good form overall, and good intensity. You just need to fine tune it and tweek a few things.

Latest Discussions