Tournament videos Part 2

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
My first match against Scott. I won 1-0 in sudden death overtime

My second match against Pablo (in two parts) I lost 10-1

I have a lot of thoughts, positive and negative, about both matches, but I'll defer comment for now

Last edited by a moderator:

e ship yuk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Nice fights. You did a good job of using your agility against the first opponent. It's difficult to fight against a larger opponent like that - I get it all the time, as I'm a pretty short guy. It's probably even more vexing since you have to actually stop or move them to score. You used a good variety of techniques, as opposed to his only using a right leg roundhouse. Well, I think he threw a crescent kick once - again, with his right leg.

The second match was a much better one to watch - much more action, better technique on both sides. Looks like it was a tough fight.

The only things that I would comment on:

a) You lead a with a spin back kick a lot. Spinning techniques are, in general, a bad opening technique because of their lead up time. They're easier to see coming, and thus block or evade. You throw a good kick - just work on your timing and usage of it better. This is, again, in general. If you can throw this kick faster than they can evade, use it all you want. It's also a good idea not to lead with the same technique too often - your opponent starts to read it and react before you can act.

b) Throw more combinations. You were better about this in the second fight than the first. You and your opponent just seemed to trade single kicks. You had a good series of follow-ups at about 3:30 in the first video. Fight more like that, and more like the second fight.

c) You threw punches! Fantastic! Don't lean over when you do so, though. Several times, you leaned forward when you were throwing punches, leading with your head - and since your hands were busy throwing punches at the chest/stomach, this meant your head was wide open. Not as big a deal since hands to the head aren't allowed, but if they were, or if you had an agile kicker, that head would be toast.

Overall, excellent fights, FF.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
if you are gonna lead off with a kick, use the low round kick fake INTO a high round kick.

had you done that in your first fight you would have scored every time.

using your rear leg, chamber low, and come around, make him think you are going low and flip it up into his face.

People fall for that all the time.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I watched the poomsae and I have to admit I was not impressed. Even given the ages of you and your kids, I still was not impressed. I thought all the kicks, and yes I do mean all, were weak and unfocused.

BUT!, on the sparring, yes I was. You might have lost the match but you never gave up. That got my attention. Congratulations, well done.

Now you do have to remember that my opinion doesn't mean squat so take all of this for what it is worth. Pttttttttttttttttt.....................

Latest Discussions