Tony Leung Breaks Arm During Filming

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tony Leung breaks arm in training for kung fu film (AP)

Source: AP Tue Jul 14, 2009, 2:34 am EDT

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/tony-leung-breaks-arm-training-kung-fu-film-ap
BEIJING - Cannes best actor winner Tony Leung Chiu-wai broke his left arm while sparring with martial arts instructors as he prepared to portray Bruce Lee's kung fu master in a Wong Kar-wai movie, a publicist said Tuesday.
One of the kung fu instructors kicked Leung during a practice session on Monday, breaking a bone in his left forearm, Agnes Leung, a publicist at Wong's production house Jettone Films, told The Associated Press in a phone interview.
Leung must rest his arm for several weeks but can continue to train on his kicks, she said.
Wong's movie about Ip Man, who trained Lee for five years when he was a teenager, was tentatively scheduled to start shooting in September but might be delayed depending on Leung's recovery, she said.
Wong's biopic will be the second about Ip in recent years. Hong Kong action star Donnie Yen played Ip in a 2008 Wilson Yip film named for the pioneering martial arts master.
Wong's version is being closely watched because it marks a rare departure by the Cannes-winning director from the art-house fare for which he is best known.

Well it shows a dedicated actor at their best. Hopefully the film will be as good as expectations have for it.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tony Leung is a great actor and I have seen a number of his films and he does a great job. It will be interesting to see him in this film. Donnie Yen was good in the movie Ip Man because of his MA ability.

Tony Leung will bring the more serious acting side to the film. It seems weird to have 2 Ip Man movies but from what I heard earlier this version will focus more on the man himself rather than Wilson Yip's version which had a lot of MA scenes due to Donnie Yen being able to handle them.

Must of been one hell of a kick.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow! That's crazy, but Tony Leung is awesome! By far one of my favorite actors, his reprisal should also be well portrayed.