The Grandmaster (Ip Man)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[h=1]Wong Kar-wai Gives a ‘Grandmaster’ Class[/h]
His new film, “The Grandmaster,” a meditation on the legacy of kung fu master (and Bruce Lee trainer) Ip Man, has so far generated more than $55 million world-wide — Wong’s biggest box-office hit to date.

“The Grandmaster” stars Asian powerhouse actors Tony Leung and Zhang Ziyi as Ip Man and Gong Er — two kung fu greats who meet during the turbulent Republican era of China’s history. The film took Wong six years to plan and three more to film.

Sounds good to me! I just started Ip Man 2 and am finding him too lionized--a hagiography, as in the first film. I'd prefer a less exaggerated version of his life story rather than a standard kung fu film loosely based on his life. (Mind you, Ip Man 1 and 2 are still well above average for these types of films.) This sounds more serious (I hope).

Later, when Ip Man is in Hong Kong and meets a formidable opponent, he says itÂ’s as rare as meeting a friend.

YouÂ’re very grateful to have someone that is an equal. Especially at the time, when they are in exile.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw this movie on Saturday and found it a bit boring and the subtitles didn't help either.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The review was spot on. It's slow paced and a little hard to follow at times, but its also stylish and the martial arts choreography was stunning and beautiful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is still on my list but, it certainly isn't near the top.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was on my list to see, but alas is not being played in our local theaters.