TKD vs UFC

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll agree with Terry & add that someone who trains only in one discipline & fights in the UFC will be at a tremendous disadvantage. Chuck Liddell is a kickboxer. That where he started & what he enjoys. That doesn't mean he doesn't train in grappling as well. He knows he's needs to train in grappling also because he will need that experience.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In terms of long term damage, boxing & kickboxing are often thought of to be worse. In MMA there is no standing 8, no 10 count. Fighters take far more hard shots to the head, and are expected to keep going past when a MMA fight would have been stopped.

See, this is where things go funny. On the one hand there is this line of thinking, that MMA is too rough and a downed opponent should be allowed to get up or quit. On the other side us MMA folks get told that what we do is a sport, and that eye gouges, groin strikes, and other crippling or even killing techniques are what real martial arts are.

I personally wouldn't say MMA is a sport only art, I don't know enough about it to judge whether it is or not in order to inform others about it, but I do know it's brutal and people get hurt training, I saw a guy who only went to two lessons with a black eye, but in my understanding UFC is the sporty side of MMA. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I welcome all information that broadens my learning.

I don't think we've said that MMA can't cripple or kill, we're just pointing out that trad MAs didn't originally have mercy for the fallen opponant.

Latest Discussions