TKD Schools

Tyler1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey All,

Do your gym's have #'ed kick sequences, and one steps?

I've learned TKD with diff. instructors. And am a blue belt for the second time, and have trained to color belts 2 other times in the Fargo area.

I posted earlier about being in IBBF (part of WTF) just wondering if I could ask questions about a few techniques (?).

Thanks,

Tyler

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey All,

Do your gym's have #'ed kick sequences, and one steps?

I've learned TKD with diff. instructors. And am a blue belt for the second time, and have trained to color belts 2 other times in the Fargo area.

I posted earlier about being in IBBF (part of WTF) just wondering if I could ask questions about a few techniques (?).

Thanks,

Tyler

Ask away, Tyler! :)

We don't have number-coded kick drills (though we do kick drills). We do have one steps of various kinds, some involving kicking, many involving close-in moves built around elbow strikes, grabs/pulls/pins/traps/etc setting up elbow strikes, half-fist strikes to the throat, claw strikes to the eyes, etc. Some of these are numbered and some not.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We also don't have numbered kick sequences, although there are some standard sequences that often show up in teaching. Our one-steps are not prearranged; they are created by the students to demonstrate an understanding of the movements and how to properly apply them, and how to modify them for the relative sizes of the attacker and defender.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi!

We have 15 "sparring combos" which are just a couple of kicks in a sequence. The thinking with this is we allow beginning students to practice these on eachother before doing free sparring, ahd hopefully once they start free sparring they will be in the habit of throwing a couple of kicks rather than just red kicks once, blue kicks one, etc.

What do you do Tyler?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the interest of easy explanation we have numbered kicks, but no sequences..#1 is the front leg, #2 the back leg, #3 a hop kick...

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We do not use numbering sequences for kicks or free fighting combos. Kicking is what it is-front kick, side kick, roundhouse etc.
Sparring is, by nature, dynamic and fluid. As such, it would be very difficult to label combos and techniques. All we do is work on various combinations the students can use until they get comfortable. They then develop their own based on what they feel comfortable with.
Note: This does NOT mean making up their own technique. It means taking the techniques and combinations they have learned and developing their own style of free fighting.

OP
T

Tyler1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Here is a few examples:

Kick Seq. # 1 - Rt. leg roundhouse, put kicking foot on ground in front of you, and step around - turning back to opponent, and round house with the same leg.

Kick #2 Same sequence using left leg.

Kick # 3 add a turning side kick after 2nd round house

Kick Seq. #11 Front kick Rt. leg, drop it down in front step towards opponent with left leg, and complete back spin Rt. leg.

Kick #12 Back spin Rt. leg, round house Rt. leg

Etc. I like using the #'ed techniques so far, very fast paced when you get the right people in your kicking line.

Laurentkd, we have # attacks for sparring techniques also.

OP
T

Tyler1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've been really impressed with the one step patterns and drills. We learn a set of movements (elbows, knee's, punches, blocks, and kicks) for each belt, but I'm finding you can interchange the movements to fit in with any situation.

One thing lacking for me is I'd like to finish more of the patterns in TKD with a throw, we use a, I'd call a reaping sweep for a few of the patterns and one hip toss so far, I'm a newbie, and haven't got into much hapkido, which I can't wait for.

Latest Discussions