Tito Ortiz Vs. Demetrious Johnson

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
LOL. Wait. You're suggesting Pickett would beat DJ now? He's 6-10 since that fight.

I think DJ, but as others have noted, it's not a given considering the size disparity. DJ is one of the most technically skilled fighters ever, but he's a little guy. would be an interesting test for the skill vs size discussions around here, though, if this were ever to really happen. :)
Exactly I mean pickets a good fighter but dj is on another level now. There's a reason they never had a rematch and that's the fact picket never got near a title fight

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
LOL. Wait. You're suggesting Pickett would beat DJ now? He's 6-10 since that fight.

I think DJ, but as others have noted, it's not a given considering the size disparity. DJ is one of the most technically skilled fighters ever, but he's a little guy. would be an interesting test for the skill vs size discussions around here, though, if this were ever to really happen. :)

If the tourney is based on choosing the fighter with the most skill....DJ is definitely one of the favorites

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If the tourney is based on choosing the fighter with the most skill....DJ is definitely one of the favorites
Agreed. Personally, I’m not taking this seriously enough to worry too much about some arbitrary rules. As far as I’m concerned, you can’t pick the wrong guy. I submitted chuck Wepner and buster douglas in the boxing tournament, and didn’t think twice about it. :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So much for the "people's champion" lol people really don't like Tito
I actually like him. He was a great coach on TUF . first one who seemed like he was there for the competitors

I just don't think he beats mighty mouse

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I actually like him. He was a great coach on TUF . first one who seemed like he was there for the competitors

Yeah I liked him then to (don't agree him being the one who was there for them I thought randy did a good at that to especially with a guy like Jason Thacker )

But then In TUF 11 he was more of a jerk starting fights breaking down doors etc and other antics. Plus I never liked how he tried to avoid fighting chuck Liddell plus the constant excuses he made after every loss.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Yes, he was a terrific coach on TUF. But what amazed me was how awful a coach Ken Shamrock was opposite him. And as the series went on reading the expressions on the faces of Shamrocks team, was to me, actually painful. And Tito was just so good with those young guys.

I never met Ortiz, but a close buddy of mine knows him pretty well. About a month before that TUF season started I was talking with my buddy and mentioned Ortiz. He told me that if I met him I would love him, that he's one of the nicest people you would ever meet. He told me that Tito's whole Huntington Beach Bad Boy image was a marketing act he put in play himself.

Seems like it worked pretty darn good.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
He told me that Tito's whole Huntington Beach Bad Boy image was a marketing act he put in play himself.

I remember thinking he was gonna kill Dana White in their boxing match....probably a good thing Tito bailed on it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I remember thinking he was gonna kill Dana White in their boxing match....probably a good thing Tito bailed on it.

I got sucked in waiting for that. I think both of them we're BS-ing everybody all along.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, he was a terrific coach on TUF. But what amazed me was how awful a coach Ken Shamrock was opposite him. And as the series went on reading the expressions on the faces of Shamrocks team, was to me, actually painful. And Tito was just so good with those young guys.

I never met Ortiz, but a close buddy of mine knows him pretty well. About a month before that TUF season started I was talking with my buddy and mentioned Ortiz. He told me that if I met him I would love him, that he's one of the nicest people you would ever meet. He told me that Tito's whole Huntington Beach Bad Boy image was a marketing act he put in play himself.

Reality tv is only one step above scripted tv tbh. It's easy to make one guy look bad and one guy look guy when you have hours of footage to put into a 45 minute episode. Thing is shamrock is a known good coach who produced some great fighters in the ufc. I think Ortiz success really had more to do with just the fact he had the better fighters on his team Tito had Michael bisping, Kendall grove, matt hammil, Rory singer to name a few whereas shamrocks only decent fighters were ed Herman and kalib Starnes and those 2 won their fights in the house (Starnes only lost because of a rib injury)

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

I think part of its an act but I do believe he's bit of a jerk as well like how he always makes excuses for his loses and the way he carries himself at time or when he held on the guillotine against bader after he tapped.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Reality tv is only one step above scripted tv tbh. It's easy to make one guy look bad and one guy look guy when you have hours of footage to put into a 45 minute episode. Thing is shamrock is a known good coach who produced some great fighters in the ufc. I think Ortiz success really had more to do with just the fact he had the better fighters on his team Tito had Michael bisping, Kendall grove, matt hammil, Rory singer to name a few whereas shamrocks only decent fighters were ed Herman and kalib Starnes and those 2 won their fights in the house (Starnes only lost because of a rib injury)

In all the years I watched TUF on television, the one thing that sticks out in my mind is how terrible a coach Ken Shamrock was. Awful.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
In all the years I watched TUF on television, the one thing that sticks out in my mind is how terrible a coach Ken Shamrock was. Awful.
Again these things can be easily edited to make him look bad

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, you're probably right. They sure did a good job of it. :)

You know what I feel bad about? The fans that hooked onto the UFC in later years primarily saw Ken Shamrock losing fights. They have no appreciation for what a great fighter he was.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, you're probably right. They sure did a good job of it. :)

You know what I feel bad about? The fans that hooked onto the UFC in later years primarily saw Ken Shamrock losing fights. They have no appreciation for what a great fighter he was.
Ehh, I'm a big fan of the early days, and in his time he did well with that ankle lock, I'll give him that. The reason he lost all those later fights though is because he never really got anything else while the game evolved past him, and all the other one trick ponies that used to be top dogs back then.

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think part of its an act but I do believe he's bit of a jerk as well like how he always makes excuses for his loses and the way he carries himself at time or when he held on the guillotine against bader after he tapped.
Well based on the rule, you need to wait until the reff acknowledge the tap.
Some top fighters been caught using the 'fake' tap to escape themselves and feigned ignorance afterwards.

It is understandable to hold the submission as is until the reff said something, what is not a sportsmanlike conduct is when you put extra 'crank' before you release it, like certain bjj fighter that had been booted from both ufc and bellator.

Sent from my BV8000Pro using Tapatalk

Latest Discussions