Timmmmmberrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Being a city girl, I'd only seen logging trucks on the highways and from a distance at mills. Never saw one up close except parked and empty.

Well ... we sold some property to a developer and kept the timber rights so we'd have firewood for a few years. Today, a self-loading log truck arrived in my driveway ... a big treat for an L.A. transplant.

I finally created an album today in the photo gallery. Check it out.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Holy Cow! That must have been quite a shock. lol

It looks like you live in a very beautiful place. You certainly will have enough firewood for a while won't you. lol

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, we will! :) Our primary source of heat in my house is a wood-burning stove and we burn firewood cut from the timber of fast-growing trees.

None of the trees you see lying down on the ground are old-growth trees, Sam. They regrow VERY fast and rather easily. I'll get the genus if I can and count the oldest one on the pile. The conifers growing in the background and foreground of one pic are all over 30 years old.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's a LOT of firewood. Do you have enough yard space to store it all? ;)

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
That's a LOT of firewood. Do you have enough yard space to store it all? ;)
Why yes we do! We live on almost half an acre, have a woodshed which holds two cords of wood and a fenceline in the back which we will line with corded wood. Should last us about 5-7 years.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And somwhere in the hills of ireland, a druid cries...

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blotan Hunka said:
I wonder what the Druids burned to keep warm?
Prolly ninjas. :D

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow, 2 cords in the shed and some on the outside, what area are you in? Up here in Nothern Maine if you use wood as your primary heating source, you lay in an average of 10 cords of wood for the winter. Plus the old saying is that wood heat will warm you 6 times: 1-Fell the tree, 2-cut to length, 3-split it, 4-stack it, 5-carry it in the house when needed, 6-as it burns. Granted you got to skip out on #1, but the other ones look like they are just waiting for you.

Do I burn wood, Holy-O-Wa NO!!!! That's WAYYYY too much like work. LOL

Good feeling to know that it is a great renewable resource unlike Oil or Natural Gas. There are wood plots up here that were cut when I moved here first 18 years ago, that are about ready to be harvested again, give them a couple of more years and the cycle will start all over again.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pacific Northwest - nowhere NEAR as cold as you get. We have a really efficient insert into the fireplace and we already have about 8 cords in inventory cut, split and stacked. So we're good for a long while.

I heard it said wood warms you thrice ... cutting it, splitting it, burning it. But I like your analogy better! Training the George Foreman way!

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Grew up in the northwest PA woods...lots of trees to burn and cold enough to enjoy it. Cutting it down and stacking it, then burning it, warms you three times instead of just once.

Latest Discussions