Time Traveller from 2036?

D

Deuce

Anybody ever hear of John Titor?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Titor

Some of his internet postings can be found here:
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/pages/john_titor_ats_project.html

Is it just a very elaborate hoax? He presents it in a way which makes it seem possible and some of his predictions have even come true. Maybe I'm just gullable, but I find it very interesting how he holds the story and details together. Many believe he's the real deal. I think it's most likely a hoax, but it amazes me how well done and thought out it is.

Thoughts? Comments?

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
Deuce said:
Anybody ever hear of John Titor?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Titor

Some of his internet postings can be found here:
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/pages/john_titor_ats_project.html

Is it just a very elaborate hoax? He presents it in a way which makes it seem possible and some of his predictions have even come true. Maybe I'm just gullable, but I find it very interesting how he holds the story and details together. Many believe he's the real deal. I think it's most likely a hoax, but it amazes me how well done and thought out it is.

Thoughts? Comments?

Just someone with a very elaborate imagination. Since I worked in the aerospace industry for a number of years, much of what he writes was either found in the industry magazines, or some of the more typical Sci-fi magazines. I can tell you this, some of the weapons are we are now developing didn't even make his list.

Rynocerous

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That's crazy you post that cause that's the year I'm from. Yeah John and I go way back, or should I say forward. Oh and pitiful mortals beware, the end of the world is upon us, the Yellow Stone eruption will occur on Dec. 3, 2007.

Joking aside Deuce, no I don't believe him...

Cheers,

Ryan

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If the guy is older than 31 years old it should be possible to find him in his today-self, break his young arm, then xray his old self to see if the scarring is there. Unless they invent a way to fix that kind of thing...

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
DavidCC said:
If the guy is older than 31 years old it should be possible to find him in his today-self, break his young arm, then xray his old self to see if the scarring is there. Unless they invent a way to fix that kind of thing...

First find his "younger" self. He won't be forthcoming any time soon with THAT person. That alone would be proof enough...or disproof.

If he's telling the truth his parents are alive at this moment. All he has to do is present them to us (they should be about his age or younger) and then separate them in order to administer simple little quizzes. He should be able to tell us all sorts of things about them, his grandparents, etc.

Regards,

Steve

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A photo of the time machine unit installed in his car (a Corvette).

titor11.jpg

I thought it was supposed to be a DeLorean

thesensei

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree. I think it is a hoax, but it was very well done. I read several other sites on him with fascinating information. One of them is at www.johntitor.com.

Great reading!

However, here we are in 2005, and there's no civil war...but he did have some interesting comments!

Maybe we're living in the twilight zone............

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been looking for this guy!

He sprayed grafitti on my TARDIS back in 2047!

oh,wait....what year is this?

ooooh...my bad.you're right....
the tardis is a tv prop....

(do ya think they bought it george?)

:erg:

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I skimmed over some of the links here and no, I can't believe it without some good proof. As I believe Carl Sagan said, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. If he claims to be able to travel back in time, an extraordinary claim, he's going to need to come up with a lot of good, hard evidence to back that up before people will believe him. Maybe he makes some falsifiable predictions on some sites, I think the Wikipedia entry had some, but that johntitor.com site has him refusing to talk about some points that would certainly support the idea of him having advanced knowledge of the future -- the stock market (won't give tips because it takes money away from the people smart enough to play the market well) and who wins the Nobel Prize for time travel (it may impact their lives now), for example. He says, "Unfortunately, I have decided not to discuss events that you or I can do anything about. It is important that they be a surprise." and seems to keep going back to the idea that he can't do anything good to prove that he is a time traveler without doing something damaging to the timeline. I understand that concept, but obviously it's not doing much to help his case. This part was kind of interesting -- "In my 2012, I was 14 years old . . . The civil war was in its 7th year and the world war was three years away." 2012 - 7 = 2005 so some civil war, presumably within the US since he says he lives in Florida, will start this year and last at least 7 years? We'll see, won't we? Of course, he does have this multiple timeline idea and can just claim that if that civil war doesn't happen, it's due to some changing in the timeline(s), possibly due to his mere presence in the past (which I think he noted has some effect). *shrug* I'm a trained scientist and I would need better proof to believe that the ability to travel back in time not only becomes theoretically possible, but possible in practice *and* that he (and 7 others was it?) have gone back in time.

P.S. -- I think one of my grad school professors was fond of saying that the best quacks are the trained ones. When you've got some training and knowledge, it's a whole lot easier to make your stories plausible when they're not real.

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
DavidCC said:

He's crazy. but according to the multiple worlds theory that he subscribes to this wouldn't work.

/s

OP
D

Deuce

I try to keep an open mind about things and not completely dismiss everything that sounds completely unbelievable. Do I believe this "time traveller" came from the future? No, because he hasen't provided any proof. On the other hand, the physics and theories that he presents lead me to the belief that it isn't completely impossible.

If he was a time traveller, why would he feel the need to prove it to us? According to his story, the chances of him ever returning to this worldline are nearly impossible, so from his perspective, why bother? Then again, it could all be part of his well thought out story and the anticipation of one's questions about his credibility.

Regardless of the proof or lack there of, I find it a very entertaining story and an interesting possibility.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Deuce said:
Regardless of the proof or lack there of, I find it a very entertaining story and an interesting possibility.
Yup, interesting story. Maybe we could force some politicians to read it a few hundred times and get them to consider the policies being put out...

I'd have a very hard time believing it is true, but it is very well thought out and does make some good observations about our society.

Personally I would have predicted a big war against the US, not a civil one. But with all of the post 9/11 freedom restrictions continuing on that path might lead to that.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Deuce said:
On the other hand, the physics and theories that he presents lead me to the belief that it isn't completely impossible.

Yeah, but almost anyone could do the same thing if they had enough background knowledge to begin with. The same professor noted above also said that we grad students would make really good quacks for that reason. You start with the real knowledge of the present and speculate to where things could go in the future. If you do it right and logically, it will sound quite plausible. That doesn't mean it's true. AFAIK, traveling backwards in time is theoretically impossible according to the physics we know now. In order for his story to be true, not only would it have to become a theoretical possibility, but a practical possibility and within only ~30 years. I find that alone hard enough to believe. I suspect he's faking everything, basing it on speculations from present reality. Some of it could end up being true because it is plausible speculation, but without some concrete proof of his ability to travel through time, I can't believe his story is true.

Deuce said:
If he was a time traveller, why would he feel the need to prove it to us?

Considering it seemed like he had no intention of altering anything in our present time, he wouldn't. Convenient, no?

OP
D

Deuce

It's very hard to swallow without any proof, but I find it amazing how much work this guy put into his story, photos, and CAD drawings, not to mention the months spent on message boards having a fairly logical answer to most questions asked.

I guess the only way to find out if this story has any merit is to wait for 30 years. Or, I could jump in my home-made time machine, go to the furture to see if time travel has been invented, come back and report my findings.
icon10.gif

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
OK ... I am posting this for amusement and enjoyment.

This is, perhaps, more likely to be true than the time travel story.

www.bushin30years.org

Enjoy.
Well since we don't have anything to contribute, lets just bash the president.

How lame.

But on subject, ya I have seen this guy before. What a load.

He has done a good job with his wackoness though.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
hey ginshun ... it's one year away from 2036 ....

And ... is there anything in the link that isn't true?

If they are being truthful ... is it still 'bashing'?

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
hey ginshun ... it's one year away from 2036 ....

And ... is there anything in the link that isn't true?

If they are being truthful ... is it still 'bashing'?
#1. Social Security is not going bankrupt, contrary to the President's
claims.

Thats not true. SS is going banrupt, assuming no changes are made, there is no way that someone my age (I'll be 30 next week) will ever get any of the 10's of thousands of dollars that I will have put into it by the time I retire. If I could opt out of SS altogether and set up my own retirement account with that money, you had better believe I would. And yes, I know that the presidents plan would not allow me to do that, but something is better than nothing.